Samsung cheats at benchmarks

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
They look like the same products to me.. One just is presented better.. I'm hungry now so I'm going to go grab a hamburger

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Where I live they have a Freddy's, FatBurger, and FiveGuys. Decisions, decisions.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Because I've had both phones and I know I have the faster phone. That's why.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung GS4

You're funny. The S4 is definitely not the faster phone thanks to its software. That's why benchmarks don't matter in the long run.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're funny. The S4 is definitely not the faster phone thanks to its software. That's why benchmarks don't matter in the long run.

Seems like it is only faster on the clock speed. Actual use speeds it gets blown away by the one, nexus and lg optimus pro. Hence the argument that software matters more than specs on 2013 devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

You're both wrong...and both wrong for caring. Each device is better at different things and those things are going to be different for different people. One man's faster is only so because the applications and daily "stuff" they do with it is completely different than what to next guy is doing. In one case, the One is going to be faster, in another, the GS4 is going to pull ahead. To somehow attach which device you own as some sort of modicum of personal achievement, vicrory or status symbol indicates that likely devoid of any such achievement. This is a phone, you purchased it and you use it, nothing more...and since each persons experience will be different...

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems like it is only faster on the clock speed. Actual use speeds it gets blown away by the one, nexus and lg optimus pro. Hence the argument that software matters more than specs on 2013 devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Which is exactly the message Google sent through Motorola during the Moto X event today. I think we're going to start seeing a big shift in the android landscape towards a more iPhone like model. (Specs are well and good, but the experience matters more)

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Look at the real picture. The whole burger doesn't have cheese on it. A good quarter of it is just a hamburger. This benchmark is showing the quality of a particular feature, not whether or not the feature is there. In your cheese example, the S4 would be able to run these types of programs in the benchmarks but not in practice. What actually happened is the benchmarks shows the feature running better in the benchmark than in practice, just like a burger in the picture is constructed out of the same materials in both pictures, but the quality and arrangement of them is much better in the advertisement than what you actually get.

The thing with the WD case is that WD was the one making the measurements. They claimed 80GB even thought it was only 74GB. Samsung isn't making the measurements, some other company is making the measurements. They aren't accurately measuring what the device can do. So Samsung is lying to the people that write the benchmarks and the people who write the benchmarks are lying to us.

We probably won't file a class action on this, but if we do, I hope you are defense counsel.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
That isn't relevant. The crimes of others do not excuse the culprit. That would be like a baseball player justifying PEDs by saying "well everyone does it". Or everyone who wins does it, and if you aren't cheating you don't care enough about winning. etc. The Lance Armstrong analogy is quite valid (and the Lebron one is not).

Where exactly did I post they were excused or I agreed with it? It's entirely relevant, you just evidently have a beef with Samsung and want to nitpick/whine. I don't know if you are young or think corporations have some sort of ethics code they adhere to but you are in denial/in for a rude awakening. These devices are sold on hype first and foremost. They work great for what they are intended for, some are better than other naturally through tech progressing, they ALL make it pretty on paper and if they can "pad the stats" (to use your sports analogy) they do it. Especially the high end ones when the usually run the same hardware but one edges out each year. Take the One and the S4. We know why the S4 outscored a phone with the same chips in it now but do you honestly think this is the first time it's happened or only Samsung did/does it? lol Please. Nowhere did I apologize or advocate it but get real already. Not the first or last time this will happen and it goes on in any corporate business (cars for example, computers, ect.) and always has and always will. Sorry Samsung shattered your innocence but you just didn't catch it other times it happened. They only want your money. ;)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
:-$
Slam dunk for the plaintiff! Or huge salary for the defense?

Why do you assume those things are mutually exclusive? :)

If someone files a class action, and they might, this has all the earmarks of the type of action that would mostly be of huge benefit to the lawyers. Consumers will get a $5 off certificate to use on their next phone. Assuming they meet all the conditions in the certificate, which might include things like upgrading in the next 6 months, standing on their head and howling at the moon while doing so, and spending at least $500. :)

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
We could argue about what constitutes an overclock, also. Sure, they might not have exceeded the max freq that the chip can run at, but if 99.9% of the time it runs at one freq, and then in a few specific circumstances it gets clocked higher, isn't that by definition an overclock?

A quick note on "overclocking": there is *technically* not a "maximum" speed of a processor like this.

The chip's speed is determined by the maximum speed that they can run these things at and keep them stable and cool. This is why "overclocking" is possible. When you overclock the chip, all you're really doing is running it above the speed that the manufacturer determined it would perform at reliably.

Now, if Samsung has determined that the Exynos only runs cool enough or reliably enough at 480Mhz, but lets benchmarks briefly bump it up to 533Mhz, then that is most definitely "overclocking" by the intended usage of that term.

It's one of those kinda gray areas, simply because it's not being actively done by a person to make the chip run faster than the advertised clock speed but, if that's not the "normal" speed of the chip, it still seems like overclocking to me.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The average phone user probably has one of two responses to this "scandal", either: "Huh?" or "Yawn"

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

It is still an awesome phone for me.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Not scientific, but a quick run through this thread even with a geek biased audience, I'm sensing the "yawns" are outnumbering the "incensed purists".

Again, this is not necessarily making a judgment on whether Samsung's actions were right or wrong. Just a strong sense of apathy and/or denial prevails.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not scientific, but a quick run through this thread even with a geek biased audience, I'm sensing the "yawns" are outnumbering the "incensed purists".

Again, this is not necessarily making a judgment on whether Samsung's actions were right or wrong. Just a strong sense of apathy and/or denial prevails.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

I actually don't care that much about the code being there, it's really the lie the next day that bugs me.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. I'm not sure I'd call it apathy precisely, but if you want to call it apathy, its source is fairly obvious, as I said earlier: the advertising and marketing making it seem like you're buying a cutting edge, super fast phone is .... correct, not a lie. We did. So, there's nominal annoyance instead of outrage. It's one thing to buy a Porsche, as I put it, and find it has a Smart Car engine under the hood. It's another to find out it's still a Porsche and it merely accelerates to 100 in 5.1 seconds instead of 5.0 (or whatever), which you probably didn't notice one way or the other anyway. Yeah, there's a principle involved, and I get that and I agree. But as tales of corporate deceit go...yep, I think yawn would be my most prominent reaction because the basic, bottom line message I got that caused me to buy the phone was accurate ("super fast") and it does what I expected.

Last edited:

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I must have been imagining all those signs with needles and asterisks during Giants games. Not to mention how does a pro athlete not know what kind of supplements he was taking. Most of the fans that were in denial were Giants fans, go figure.

And of course the media and fans will carry it to a high. It's considered the biggest record in the sport. If Bonds was clean then oh well his haters were wrong. If he turns out to be dirty that very same media will be right there to cover all the juicy fallout that comes later.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I should have said mark McGuire. Everyone turned a blind eye with him and Sammy Sosa chasing the record both juicing like no tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Also there is a thermal boost of 10c for antutu benchmark .

[HIDE]Device: GT-I9300
Kernel:Googy max,dual boot
Rom:1st ROM Slim bean (4.2.2) with latest Mali drivers
2nd ROM CM 10.2(4.3)
CPU 900mhz;UV
GPU 440mhz;UV[/HIDE]

Last edited: