Samsung Cloud vs Google Backup for Android phone?

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Hi all. To this date, I still don't know what the difference is between Samsung Cloud vs Google Backups when it comes to backing up my Android phone (Samsung).

What does Samsung Cloud backup that doesn't get backed up by Google Drive (Apart from Samsung Notes which I'm pretty sure is only get backed using your Samsung Cloud account). Been searching the web and couldn't find the main differences - I also know it's 'better' to back up photos via Google.

Say I want to factory reset my Note 9 phone, what would I do to back up my text messages, Samsung notes, Photos and phone settings?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Kind of joining the conversation in hopes of learning something my self about this. This is my first Samsung device and I have for the past few months been wanting to factory reset it just for GP but just haven't. No particular reason other than have to set it all up again. Meanwhile I don't think either one is like Apple's backup, where you can restore the device to practically the same state as it was before the reset. Google's backup is pretty basic, all of the Google products get backed up pretty much as they are and on most devices when you FR, apps can be restored without having to go in and one by one them. Most of the information is lost, including game progress, log-ins, app settings but Google's Password thing may help you get logged in and Google Play Games may restore some of your game progress if the game uses it and you're using it. Samsung has Game Launcher but I'm not sure it tracks anything other than the time and frequency you spend playing the game. I'm also not sure how much Samsung Pass will help you when it comes to getting back into some of the apps. I have both Samsung Pass and Google's Password thing (I don't think there's a name for it) and I have yet to have Samsung Pass ask if I want a password saved or offer me a password when I need one.

If the two do anything different it'll be interesting to see what.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all. To this date, I still don't know what the difference is between Samsung Cloud vs Google Backups when it comes to backing up my Android phone (Samsung).

What does Samsung Cloud backup that doesn't get backed up by Google Drive (Apart from Samsung Notes which I'm pretty sure is only get backed using your Samsung Cloud account). Been searching the web and couldn't find the main differences - I also know it's 'better' to back up photos via Google.

Say I want to factory reset my Note 9 phone, what would I do to back up my text messages, Samsung notes, Photos and phone settings?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
You use both , Samsung cloud gives back up to app data , message,phone , setting on phone notes pictures , it can remotely unlock your device if your licked out and back up the phone and erase . You can't go wrong to have both backup

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Hello again mustang7757 :)

Thanks for that - did you mean all those you've mentioned are backed up by Samsung Cloud? What does Google Drive back up that's unique to it then?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello again mustang7757 :)

Thanks for that - did you mean all those you've mentioned are backed up by Samsung Cloud? What does Google Drive back up that's unique to it then?
Hello lenpro

Google drive drive does back up photos,contacts , WhatsApp, documents , I highly recommend using both , always best to be back up multiple places , but on Samsung phone you definitely need samsung cloud or smart switch as primary back up

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
If I use both, and when I factory reset my phone, which backup do I select from? Samsung or Google? (Let's take Photos out of the equation for now).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If I use both, and when I factory reset my phone, which backup do I select from? Samsung or Google? (Let's take Photos out of the equation for now).
It's going walk you first through Google account , then Samsung account .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Kind of joining the conversation in hopes of learning something my self about this. This is my first Samsung device and I have for the past few months been wanting to factory reset it just for GP but just haven't. No particular reason other than have to set it all up again. Meanwhile I don't think either one is like Apple's backup, where you can restore the device to practically the same state as it was before the reset. Google's backup is pretty basic, all of the Google products get backed up pretty much as they are and on most devices when you FR, apps can be restored without having to go in and one by one them. Most of the information is lost, including game progress, log-ins, app settings but Google's Password thing may help you get logged in and Google Play Games may restore some of your game progress if the game uses it and you're using it. Samsung has Game Launcher but I'm not sure it tracks anything other than the time and frequency you spend playing the game. I'm also not sure how much Samsung Pass will help you when it comes to getting back into some of the apps. I have both Samsung Pass and Google's Password thing (I don't think there's a name for it) and I have yet to have Samsung Pass ask if I want a password saved or offer me a password when I need one.

If the two do anything different it'll be interesting to see what.
Difference is Google back up will do Google services that you use , where Samsung will do phone settings,home screen ,it's apps it offers and Data , so my recommendation do both , if you move to another Android phone in future not Samsung you have your google back up for certain things and if you stick with Samsung those 2 will make going to next Samsung so easy .