Samsung Galaxy Gear S3 Smartwatch - Wish List

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Dear Samsung,

You made a great smartwatch in the Gear S2, but you left a few things out that I hope you'll find a way to include in your next round (no pun intended) which will almost certainly lead to even better reviews and better sales across the board. While I'm sure you're aware of what reviewers and users are saying out there, to keep it simple and all in one place, here's a few features we'd love to see in the next Gear S3 smartwatch... in no particular order...

1) Size: please have a model of the exact same size (1.2" screen) plus a 2nd option at 1.5" screen for those with larger wrists or who just want a larger screen option.

2) Voice integration - while we appreciate the hard work that's gone into SVoice, most reviewers and users alike will agree that it's far, far behind in speed and accuracy compared to googles voice search. Please allow users to use Google Voice Search on the watch to reply to messages, perform searches, etc. etc. This is a major disappointment in terms of effectiveness and usability especially on a smart watch where typing isn't optimal.

3) Reminders - please allow users to quickly and easily set reminders using the watch. Hopefully using the speed and accuracy of Google's Voice Search engine, not SVoice (see #2).

4) Left Handed People Left Out - while most people wear their watches on their left hands, many of us who write left handed wear our watches on our right wrists. Please allow the watch to have an orientation setting/mode that flips the watch around so it can be used effectively on the opposite hand and the hardware buttons and speaker will still face away from the wrist so as not to interfere. Apple watch does this nicely in their software settings.

5) Apps - while your initial release showed many great apps coming including home and auto integration...users have no idea where many of those apps are currently and have no way of knowing when they'll be here. 2015? 2016? 2017? I know it takes time for developers to catch on and make it right for this unique platform, but there's a level of uncertainty with any new user as to when, if ever, quality applications will arrive for this watch.

6) Please integrate with Google Maps, especially on versions that have GPS.

7) Although it appears that your watch does have an ambient light sensor, it's not clear if there's auto brightness functionality. Most reviews say there is not auto-brightness, but users have reported that the watch can be manually set to a low brightness level and will adjust higher automatically when you go outdoors, etc. That's auto brightness to me. Why hide such a nice feature that other makers have to incorporate a flat tire just to have.

8) When a notification comes through please allow the users to define how long they'd like it to appear on their screen as the current way it's set up, the notifications that come through go away REALLY quickly and users are forced to go home, then rotate left just to find the notification that just came through. More settings allowing users to customize how they'd like notifications to show and for how long would be nice so if we want notifications to always remain. On Android Wear for example, notification stays on main watch face until it's been dismissed there or on the phone. Would be nice to at least have the OPTION to make this happen.

9) Speakerphone and GPS on all models. Not that everyone wants it but once they realize that have that capability it leaves nothing for any one to complain about and you won't have reviews out there that are different because that particular user didn't use the "best" model for their review. You can still have a separate 3G model for those that wanna be independent of their phones.

10) Please address the fact that many reviews have pointed out that the step count for users of the Gear S2 is often 10-20% less than other devices.

11) IR Blaster - not "necessary" by any means but nice to have. So why not add it to the top of the watch above the bezel like you had in previous models?

12) Release a Classic version of the Gear S2 3G model. We all love how this model has built in speakerphone, GPS, and a bigger battery to allow for the independence of using the 3G...but the Classic is more "classy" in style and some of us would love to be free of our phones and dress nicely with a nice sleek watch.

13) Better bands - this is bound to happen over time I'm sure, but more options, classier options, metal options, sleeker options with nice easy clasps as opposed to just the old school type latches used with the S2.

14) iPhone support. Great job on including other android users on your Gear S2. Now time to tap into the millions of iPhone users out there which will give them a killer (better) option and is bound to consequently increase the number of developers that want to create great apps for the watch. Since it's already "in the works" might as well try to make it function even better than Android Wear's current "limited" integration.

15) Sleep monitoring - where have you gone?

16) Better integration with 3rd party email apps. Gear S2 works nicely with the native email app but would be nice if other 3rd party apps had better integration to allow users to read the whole message, reply, delete, archive, flag, etc. just like you can with the native app. I realize this is a lot to do with how those 3rd party apps support this platform, but it would be nice if this was improved as many Android users use 3rd party email apps.

17) MST Integration - The inclusion of NFC is great! Take it one step further for Samsung Pay users.

Thank you Samsung.

That's all for now. Feel free to add to my list if you'd like.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
SMD, excellent list. Your list is my list. Well, you have a couple of extra that I'm all in favor of.

My only other ones would be Android Wear's Triple Tap to Zoom (magnify) and a HUGE font, since Large just isn't large enough.

Thanks for compiling this, as I was going to soon!

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
An excellent list, and a great idea to post it, but I'll go against the grain a bit.

I'd like to see an even smaller and thinner version. I've always loved high-quality watches, but I especially like unobtrusive. I don't care to call attention to myself, and certainly not through my watch.

If smaller means a watch that doesn't have as many features, that's fine with me. I don't care about fitness tracking, emailing, maps, etc. What I want is a simple watch that tells me the time and when I have a phone call or text. Anything else, I can pull out my phone and tend to it there.

I would like to have a way to adjust the sensitivity of the wrist gesture, much like you can adjust brightness. If I adjust it so that it turns on too much and uses too much battery, I could turn it down.

I sent back my original s2 Sport because I felt that the sensor was defective. Now I have a Classic, and it behaves pretty much the same. I'm thinking I'll keep the Classic and just try to adapt to having to shake the watch to turn on the full face.

Everyone is different in what they want or need in a watch. I hope Samsung gives us a variety of options based on this basic watch. Do that, and I think they'll have a huge winner on their hands (pun intended).

srz1977

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
That is a nice list, I agree with a lot of it. My list is pretty simple:

1. 39mm and 45mm sizes (Sport and Classic). Make them customizable like Moto Maker
2. Speaker for both BT and 3G versions
3. GPS for both BT and 3G versions
4. Google Speech Recognition and Google Maps
5. Left handed software implementation
6. Make the watch thinner.
7. More apps.
8. Better release quantity and timing. The S2 launch has been a total disaster.

That's all I would want...

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I just wish it had more color options.

A gold color or silver is just necessary.

Black watch with a touch of gold is just so sexy.
Silver watch with black leather band
Gold watch with brown leather band.

Black and black leather is just bland. Immediately ordered a brown leather strap to go with my watch.

Matt Allen

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
After all the research I've done it never donned on me the s2 didn't have MST! I use Samsung Pay everyday. This is sad.

READ BELOW!

Last edited:

Matt Allen

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
With regards to #17. I was a little pissed since I ordered my S2 3g thinking it has Samsung Pay with the MST tech. I just spoke with Samsung and they assured me MST technology will be included when Samsung Pay is available with the S2 3g version.

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationAll Samsung Agents are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. A Samsung Agent will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Rajkumar K'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK11256012419952X
Rajkumar K: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Rajkumar K: We have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?
Matt: I've recently pre ordered the Gear S2 3g. I read before ordering that Samsung Pay will be supported however I've recently learned there may not be MST technology may not be included. Is this true or false? I know it comes with NFC but without MST Samsung Pay would be nearly useless where I live.
Rajkumar K: I see that you would like to know whether the Gear S2 supports the Samsung pay or not. Is that correct?
Matt: With MST and not just NFC, yes
Rajkumar K: I will do my best to assist you in this regard.
Rajkumar K: I should inform you that the MST feature is available on the Gear S2 3G version.
Matt: Ok. Thank you very much.
Rajkumar K: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
With regards to #17. I was a little pissed since I ordered my S2 3g thinking it has Samsung Pay with the MST tech. I just spoke with Samsung and they assured me MST technology will be included when Samsung Pay is available with the S2 3g version.

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationAll Samsung Agents are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. A Samsung Agent will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Rajkumar K'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK11256012419952X
Rajkumar K: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Rajkumar K: We have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?
Matt: I've recently pre ordered the Gear S2 3g. I read before ordering that Samsung Pay will be supported however I've recently learned there may not be MST technology may not be included. Is this true or false? I know it comes with NFC but without MST Samsung Pay would be nearly useless where I live.
Rajkumar K: I see that you would like to know whether the Gear S2 supports the Samsung pay or not. Is that correct?
Matt: With MST and not just NFC, yes
Rajkumar K: I will do my best to assist you in this regard.
Rajkumar K: I should inform you that the MST feature is available on the Gear S2 3G version.
Matt: Ok. Thank you very much.
Rajkumar K: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Interesting...however, I'm guessing it's not true based on it never being advertised since it would be a huge selling point and basically any google search of gear s2 and mst reveals "not included" all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I hope it does. But my guess is that our good buddy Rajkumar was confused and mistaken. We'll see next week. :)

Sunil Mishra2

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
MST not available in 3g version too...only NFC.

Missing feartues for Gear Sucess
1.MST
2.IR blasster
3.Camera for Video Call
4.3G and LTE must for all model..
5.and dial colour option of rose gold and Gold option for all model will do wonders.
6. Samsung Pay and Android Pay support

Global launch of all models and Samsung pay is primary and cost is too high as of now.

AlanRudy

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
1. 3g version with the size of the non 3g version. I've been noticing/feeling the extra size and weight.
2. More accurate fitness/s-health tracking.
3. Apps. Samsung has to find a way to get/partner with all the major apps other wearables have.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Great list. I would add swappable battery option if battery technology doesn't improve. Also, the placement of the speaker needs to be on the side or top of watch to prevent muffling sound due to speaker placed underneath the watch or against the skin. And of course sweat and dirt build up.

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Dear Samsung,

You made a great smartwatch in the Gear S2, but you left a few things out that I hope you'll find a way to include in your next round (no pun intended) which will almost certainly lead to even better reviews and better sales across the board. While I'm sure you're aware of what reviewers and users are saying out there, to keep it simple and all in one place, here's a few features we'd love to see in the next Gear S3 smartwatch... in no particular order...

1) Size: please have a model of the exact same size (1.2" screen) plus a 2nd option at 1.5" screen for those with larger wrists or who just want a larger screen option.

2) Voice integration - while we appreciate the hard work that's gone into SVoice, most reviewers and users alike will agree that it's far, far behind in speed and accuracy compared to googles voice search. Please allow users to use Google Voice Search on the watch to reply to messages, perform searches, etc. etc. This is a major disappointment in terms of effectiveness and usability especially on a smart watch where typing isn't optimal.

3) Reminders - please allow users to quickly and easily set reminders using the watch. Hopefully using the speed and accuracy of Google's Voice Search engine, not SVoice (see #2).

4) Left Handed People Left Out - while most people wear their watches on their left hands, many of us who write left handed wear our watches on our right wrists. Please allow the watch to have an orientation setting/mode that flips the watch around so it can be used effectively on the opposite hand and the hardware buttons and speaker will still face away from the wrist so as not to interfere. Apple watch does this nicely in their software settings.

5) Apps - while your initial release showed many great apps coming including home and auto integration...users have no idea where many of those apps are currently and have no way of knowing when they'll be here. 2015? 2016? 2017? I know it takes time for developers to catch on and make it right for this unique platform, but there's a level of uncertainty with any new user as to when, if ever, quality applications will arrive for this watch.

6) Please integrate with Google Maps, especially on versions that have GPS.

7) Although it appears that your watch does have an ambient light sensor, it's not clear if there's auto brightness functionality. Most reviews say there is not auto-brightness, but users have reported that the watch can be manually set to a low brightness level and will adjust higher automatically when you go outdoors, etc. That's auto brightness to me. Why hide such a nice feature that other makers have to incorporate a flat tire just to have.

8) When a notification comes through please allow the users to define how long they'd like it to appear on their screen as the current way it's set up, the notifications that come through go away REALLY quickly and users are forced to go home, then rotate left just to find the notification that just came through. More settings allowing users to customize how they'd like notifications to show and for how long would be nice so if we want notifications to always remain. On Android Wear for example, notification stays on main watch face until it's been dismissed there or on the phone. Would be nice to at least have the OPTION to make this happen.

9) Speakerphone and GPS on all models. Not that everyone wants it but once they realize that have that capability it leaves nothing for any one to complain about and you won't have reviews out there that are different because that particular user didn't use the "best" model for their review. You can still have a separate 3G model for those that wanna be independent of their phones.

10) Please address the fact that many reviews have pointed out that the step count for users of the Gear S2 is often 10-20% less than other devices.

11) IR Blaster - not "necessary" by any means but nice to have. So why not add it to the top of the watch above the bezel like you had in previous models?

12) Release a Classic version of the Gear S2 3G model. We all love how this model has built in speakerphone, GPS, and a bigger battery to allow for the independence of using the 3G...but the Classic is more "classy" in style and some of us would love to be free of our phones and dress nicely with a nice sleek watch.

13) Better bands - this is bound to happen over time I'm sure, but more options, classier options, metal options, sleeker options with nice easy clasps as opposed to just the old school type latches used with the S2.

14) iPhone support. Great job on including other android users on your Gear S2. Now time to tap into the millions of iPhone users out there which will give them a killer (better) option and is bound to consequently increase the number of developers that want to create great apps for the watch. Since it's already "in the works" might as well try to make it function even better than Android Wear's current "limited" integration.

15) Sleep monitoring - where have you gone?

16) Better integration with 3rd party email apps. Gear S2 works nicely with the native email app but would be nice if other 3rd party apps had better integration to allow users to read the whole message, reply, delete, archive, flag, etc. just like you can with the native app. I realize this is a lot to do with how those 3rd party apps support this platform, but it would be nice if this was improved as many Android users use 3rd party email apps.

17) MST Integration - The inclusion of NFC is great! Take it one step further for Samsung Pay users.

Thank you Samsung.

That's all for now. Feel free to add to my list if you'd like.
To your point about orientation I think it's a huge oversight. I'm actually right handed and prefer the watch on my right hand. This should have been a no brainer. Big thumbs down Sammy.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife had a brilliant suggestion: Put the S5's great camera in the watchband buckle. You could then use the watch face screen as your "viewfinder", and take pictures in a natural, normal stance, no different then looking at (or talking into) your watch.

Really, the camera is the thing I will really miss. With a camera in the S2, I could leave my phone home.