Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

I won't say mine are the best... Because they aren't.. But they are focused (or so I think).... The 2 below that are outside are from just now... The others are from other days.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1383605235086.jpg
    1383605235086.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 1383605263333.jpg
    1383605263333.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 1383605280622.jpg
    1383605280622.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 1383605298532.jpg
    1383605298532.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 1383605309885.jpg
    1383605309885.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 43

AustinSlater25

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I haven't read thru this whole thread so I apologize if I'm stating the obvious but has everyone peeled off the plastic covering the camera lense? Someone had a problem with picture quality and this was the problem. Its hard to see and easy to miss.

I have used the HTC One, One X, Galaxy 2, Note 2 etc. and this camera is the best I've used. The One does very well in certain circumstances but if you're having major issues then something is wrong. This phone has a very good camera and most reviews have stated that as well.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I haven't read thru this whole thread so I apologize if I'm stating the obvious but has everyone peeled off the plastic covering the camera lense? Someone had a problem with picture quality and this was the problem. Its hard to see and easy to miss.

I have used the HTC One, One X, Galaxy 2, Note 2 etc. and this camera is the best I've used. The One does very well in certain circumstances but if you're having major issues then something is wrong. This phone has a very good camera and most reviews have stated that as well.

If we don't hear from them again, I'm going to guess that your assessment was correct. At least I know I wouldn't post in here again if that's why my phone was taking horrible pictures.... ;)

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

Man I am not trying to be negative but absolutely agree with you. I came back to this thread to see if someone found a breakthrough solution or knew of an upcoming software update.. wishful thinking? I have had every major phone, and I mean every one of them up until a few months ago when I stopped selling them. My selling was a good excuse for me to try the latest and greatest and get back my money or make a profit. Anyway, among the last four Samsung phones I have had, the Note 3 has the worst camera, and its not even close. Last four : S2, Note 1, S3, Note 2- woops had an S4 too for 2 weeks- went back to my Note 2 for bigger screen and stylus - better to track my little business I had going on. Daylight pics are fine in adequate lighting (nothing spectacular) but do not try to take anything indoor or with low light- even overcast sky. The pics just don't come out good and the flash makes it even worse...kind of a wierd effect like the camera just cant focus- like someone produced the image with a paint brush. While all of this back and forth is going on between differing opinions, I have my fingers cross for a fix. I can't fathom how someone with a Note 2, Iphone 5, even an S3 or S2 can possibly say that this camera is as good as any of those. I went out to a popular restaurant recently and couldn't keep one single pic of 10 that I took inside. I couldn't even recognize some of the faces in pics with goo lighting but a bad shadow. I know I am using auto but that's all I ever used on the other phones and they were perfect - in the end everything is relative. Just don't have time to be switching settings back and forth for changing scenes and scenarios; kind of defeat the purpose of grab, point, and shoot.

My experience EXACTLY. This is why I believe some of the glowing reviews on here are not legit. Something fishy about the enthusiastically positive reviews and rabid defenders here. The camera is bad. Really bad.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

My experience EXACTLY. This is why I believe some of the glowing reviews on here are not legit. Something fishy about the enthusiastically positive reviews and rabid defenders here. The camera is bad. Really bad.

How is your negative experience more legitimate than that of all the many positive experiences that people have had? Then you have the nerve to question people's integrity on top of it, even though many have posted pictures to support what they were saying. Just ridiculous!

Sent from my Note 3

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 90117
I was just in Verizon having them look at my Note 3 and I started snapping pics while there to show them why I was upset. They refused to swap out my note 3 because they said the pictures are representative of what I should expect of the device. Anyways, I went back and loaded the pictures on my computer and did a side-by-side to show you what I am seeing. The left was taken by the note 3. And the right was taken by my iPhone 5s. Both pictures are zoomed to 50% to give a better idea of what I have been seeing time and time again.

This looks like it was taken in auto mode. There is a problem with the Note 3 software in auto. Sometimes it thinks it has enough light to turn off stabilization when it shouldn't. That's when the photos come out like this. Your phone is not defective. I'm on my third Note 3. They all do this.

In medium light, try shooting in HDR mode. You'll get better results.

sent from my Note 3

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I am trying to understand what you are saying because you got a phone with a messed up camera and I did not that makes me defending that I do not have the problems you are having makes me fishy? My thing is that you guys must love bad cameras on your Gnote3 not to get rid of it by now. If I had the problems you guys claim to have. I would have been returned the phone and got another phone. Not hold on hoping for it to change. When my Gnex started messing up I could not wait to get rid of it. I think it is kind of insane to hold on to something I am so unhappy with.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

So if you are correct then why I am not having the smae problem. We would all be complaining if what you are saying is true.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

Once again, if you claim that the Note 3 takes bad pics and even post supporting examples, you will be called a liar by the Note 3 cheerleaders.

Sorry for contributing. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and make you come unhinged over the capabilities of a smartphone.

sent from my Note 3

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Once again, if you claim that the Note 3 takes bad pics and even post supporting examples, you will be called a liar by the Note 3 cheerleaders.

Sorry for contributing. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and make you come unhinged over the capabilities of a smartphone.

sent from my Note 3

No you didn't hurt my feelings. Like I said before I respect your opinion. It just seems like you guys do not respect the opinions of those that are not having problems you are having. So you are still not getting rid of your GNOTE3?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

No you didn't hurt my feelings. Like I said before I respect your opinion. It just seems like you guys do not respect the opinions of those that are not having problems you are having. So you are still not getting rid of your GNOTE3?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

The 4 people with the Note 3 camera that "sucks" believe that there is a multinational conspiracy. That all the reviews, all the forums, all the pictures are staged hoaxes.

Posted via Android Central App

whitezee10

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

If there are people with evidences that the camera suck, and there are people with evidences that the cam is great, to each his own.

Im happy with mine.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

If there are people with evidences that the camera suck, and there are people with evidences that the cam is great, to each his own.

Im happy with mine.

I agree with you ( camera is great!)....,but according to "The Four" we are lying or have very low camera standards. To them all the Note 3 cameras "suck" and the great pictures being displayed and the great reviews are part of a great hoax.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Some pictures with the Note 3

Indoors, no flash.

u6aqaqeh.jpg

Outside, low sun in the sky, no flash.

da5u2yda.jpg

Sunset

zavaseda.jpg

Midday around noon.

a5anasa3.jpg

Note 2

Daytime, indoors, no flash

uba5a2a4.jpg

Indoors, no flash, incandescent lighting

uvehu2em.jpg

Storm coming, outdoors, late evening, no flash

deje4u9u.jpg

I think they're comparable.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

This looks like it was taken in auto mode. There is a problem with the Note 3 software in auto. Sometimes it thinks it has enough light to turn off stabilization when it shouldn't. That's when the photos come out like this. Your phone is not defective. I'm on my third Note 3. They all do this.

In medium light, try shooting in HDR mode. You'll get better results.

sent from my Note 3

Nice, this is the kind of feedback I am looking for, that there seems to be a prob with auto mode. Okay, great, i will try other modes. I can tell that is not a defective phone because in great lightning the pics are nice. Its just everything else.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Nice, this is the kind of feedback I am looking for, that there seems to be a prob with auto mode. Okay, great, i will try other modes. I can tell that is not a defective phone because in great lightning the pics are nice. Its just everything else.

Turn off the smart stabilization. The smart stabilization tends to produce a brighter photo, but a slightly blurrier one as well.Press and HOLD the shutter button. The holding of the shutter button is key. When focus locks (it is fast) release shutter button. With steady hands the photos will be solid this way in most lighting conditions.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Turn off the smart stabilization. The smart stabilization tends to produce a brighter photo, but a slightly blurrier one as well.

You're saying that smart stabilization produces blurry pictures? But there is nothing wrong with the phone?

"These pictures are fantastic, just a little blurry! "

That's a good one.

sent from my Note 3

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Some pictures with the Note 3

Indoors, no flash.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/05/u6aqaqeh.jpg

Outside, low sun in the sky, no flash.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/05/da5u2yda.jpg

Sunset

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/05/zavaseda.jpg

Midday around noon.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/05/a5anasa3.jpg

Note 2

Daytime, indoors, no flash

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/05/uba5a2a4.jpg

Indoors, no flash, incandescent lighting

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/05/uvehu2em.jpg

Storm coming, outdoors, late evening, no flash

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/05/deje4u9u.jpg

I think they're comparable.

Try this again but with the Note 2 set to low light.

Also, try some shots in a dim setting. That's when you'll really see the Note 3 disappoint, especially when compared to the Note 2's legendary low light setting.

sent from my Note 3

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

You're saying that smart stabilization produces blurry pictures? But there is nothing wrong with the phone?

That's a good one.

sent from my Note 3

As opposed to saying, "I don't know how to manage the advanced features on this phone to get the best picture of a stool in a poorly lit room, thus the camera is garbage"? Could the camera be better? Sure, lets get some Hubble telescope zoom capabilities on this biznitch. Will you find another phone that exceeds the Note 3's picture taking capabilities to the point that it minimizes its shortcommings in other areas? Doubtful. I hear the Nokia line of Windows phones takes great photos. Good luck getting the kind of app support that Google has supporting its OS.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

That's a good one.

sent from my Note 3

Its Samsung,they throw a bunch of "features" on their phones. Most of them I do not use. Smart stay, air gestures, smart scroll yada yada. I consider the smart stabilization to be one of the features I do not use. Same with any phone camera some of the trick modes work, some do not. Still, love the phone, still love the camera. I just use the features that work best. You can get a good normal light shot in regular auto mode. Its easy. It works.

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Try this again but with the Note 2 set to low light.

Also, try some shots in a dim setting. That's when you'll really see the Note 3 disappoint, especially when compared to the Note 2's legendary low light setting.

sent from my Note 3

The one of the sunset was low light. I'm sorry my pictures aren't disappointing enough.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci