Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Fixing the lag

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fixing the lag

Had similar issue, deleted nova and went back to touchwiz launcher, much batter and battery is improved.
Try it for a day and see if you like it, don't think nova was drain in my case but Tesla unread.

Posted via the Android Central App
Instead of uninstalling Nova launcher, all I did was clear it from being my default launcher and went back to Touch wiz, and instantly I noticed, that all my lag issues disappeared. Yay, no more lag. So I can conclude, that for some of you possibly not everyone, that if you've tried all these suggestions add I did, and you have nova as your default launcher, try going back to your Touch wiz, reboot once, and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

I've been going strong now for 2 days and still no lag. For me, it was nova launcher, causing my lag.

Sent from The One and Only, Amazing---> Note 4

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site

Interesting that the lag on my exhanged N4 is very minimum compared to the one I returned.
I am using Touchwiz...installed my typical 80+ apps, haven't started Nova yet after 4 days now and everything continues to be smooth.

Differences from my first Note 4 (which lagged alot) setup ..
1. Only disabled the ATT bloatware apps and just hid the Samsung bloatware in a folder instead of disabling them.
2. Haven't started using S-Health stuff yet...that may be the culprit? Just guessing.
3. Ignoring memory management and just letting Android decide which apps should be in memory or not.
4. Checked the notification setting of each app as I launched them for the first time. I think this helped reduce lag also but maybe battery life more.

Those are the differences from my prior Note 4 setup and the lack of lagging is great!
At some point I'll return to using S-HEALTH and alternate launchers and see if lagging returns.

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

@swade8 :
Great to know it worked for you too, Now i am playing with diff setting, maybe that can help you too if would like to use Nova.
With Nova you can keep the developer animation to 1.x and Nova animation ( look and feel) to fast, you will have lag free note 4 with Nova.

However i still think Nova is causing battery drain, doesn't show up in Gsam as much but tesla is causing this, as if i uninstall it battery life is improved.
I am back to Nova for timebeing, till i find other alternative.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

My lag, I think, has been reduced. I've dropped Nova for now. Turned off animations, etc... It also may be that I've just gotten used to this phone and are not comparing it to my other devices (since the note 4 really does it all for me).

I think nova might not place nicely with tw on my phone for some reason...

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I dunno. I'm running Nova with Tesla notify, and I am not experiencing any lag or battery drain.

I may switch back for a few days now that I've run Nova for a while. But I have not noticed any dramatic change in battery life since going with Nova.

andy roddy

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I'm not crazy about the recent lag, and it's reassuring to know that the patch will fix it, whenever ATT gives it to us.

I tried the steps in the OP post but the recents lag is still there.

JJ Note 4

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

I noticed issues with lag on my Verizon Note 4. I tried changing the animation in the developers options to 0.5x but not sure that helped much. What seemed to resolve the issue for me was going into S Voice settings and turning OFF Voice Wake-Up. Open via the home key was already off. This seemingly made a huge change but it's only been a few days. I also played with "Force GPU rendering" but not sure if that helped much or not yet. Let me know if this helps anyone. This doesn't really address the lag for recent apps but I don't experience lag anywhere else now.

YourBuddy2

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

The lag in the 'recent apps button' is not what you think. The real problem is simple to fix - it is the Google Talkback application.

Even though it is disabled in accessibility, the service runs and causes lag. Go into applications->All and locate Google Talkback. Force close then disable it (if you installed updates, uninstall them first then disable).

This will rid you of the issue with no mumbo-jumbo (clearing cache, changing to ART, etc).

Peter Field

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site

Got my note 4 a few days ago, it cant play basic games like candy crush for my than 10 mins without dropping the frame rate, very poor from samsung, I rooted and disabled DVFS, now games are fast for me all the time.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

I've heard claims of better battery life and smoother performance. I've heard people say it adds nothing but longer reboot times (and it's true that reboot times take forever on ART). As I mentioned upthread, it appeared to have improved the recent apps button delay for me.

Can you switch back without any problems?

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I have all animations set to off. I use Dodol Launcher. I have no lag whatsoever. Don't think I had lag on stock TW either.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
So I'm not sure which one of the following suggestions was the one that did it, but after doing the following things, nearly all of the lag is gone from my device, even when I press the recent apps key. I have the AT&T variant and one of my biggest complaints has been the random lag and the lag that was always apparent when pressing the recent apps key.

This is just a mixture of various tips I've seen on the forum and after doing all of them, the Note 4 screams! I noticed that the recent apps key lag went away only after I disabled a bunch of apps, so I'm not sure which app would've been causing it to lag.

Here are the steps I took:

1. I wiped the cache partition by turning the phone off, then holding the volume up button along with the home and power button.

2. I use Nova Launcher and under the "Look and feel" settings, I have Scroll Speed and Animation Speed set to "Faster than light"

3. Under Developer Options, I have all animations set to 1x.

4. Under Application Manager, I have disabled the following apps:
AT&T FamilyMap, AT&T Hot Spots, AT&T Live, AT&T Locker, AT&T Mail, AT&T Mobile Locate, AT&T Navigator, AT&T Ready2GO, AT&T Smart Wi-Fi, Caller Name ID, Device Help, DirectShareManager, DriveMode, Famigo, Flipboard, Games, Hancom Office 2014, Instagram, Keeper, Messages (I use EvolveSMS), S Health, S Voice, TalkBack, Wallet (ISIS), and YP.

Just wanted to let you guys know what worked for me and hopefully it'll work for others who may be experiencing lag.

I had some issues with lag time, and performed step 1, and step 2 above. On step 3, I chose to leave animation off completely in developer mode. step 4 did not apply to me because I have Verizon as opposed to AT&T, but I have disabled several apps including talkback. my phone is now blazingly fast. it was fast before but the lag was annoying. it is much faster now and I did disable TouchWiz before I wiped the cache and rebooted. Nova Launcher really did seem to make a difference for me, but I think it was a combination of everything I did because I tried to Nova before without doing the other steps, and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference with speed or lag . anyway, I like exactly how it is now and I'm not going to change anything for the time being :) that is, until someone figures out how to root this thing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali