Samsung galaxy s20 ultra hyprelapse doesn't have a selector for night mode.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Samsung galaxy s20 ultra doesn't have a selector for night mode. Instead, in the speed options, it has two speeds possibilities for night mode (15 and 45 sec). However, I tried using them last night but the result was all black. Does anyone know why? Probably I'm doing something wrong.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

The reason night images don't work with some of the modes is because to capture low light images you need longer exposure times to get more light. If you look at the way Night Mode works it either captures less Fames Per Second (FPS) while taking videos or by holding the exposure open longer to take pictures. Hyper laps and slow motion work in the exact opposite way. They capture a ton of frames in a short amount of time to slow things down. This is also why the options for length are short, what did you say 15 and 45 seconds, because if you're capturing 300 FPS that file is going grow fast and be huge by the time you reach a minute. 60 seconds at 300 images a second 18,000 images. Where 60 seconds at a more common FPS like 30 is only 1,800 images. Night shots might take 300 or 400 milliseconds to have enough light to produce a good image where a regular image needs less than 100 milliseconds. This is one of those preverbal cases where you truly cannot have your cake and eat it too. The camera cannot take 300 FPS and give each frame take a third of second exposure at the same time. Check out some slo-mo videos on YouTube they're always complaining about their exposure being so dark and the faster they go the darker the videos get because more frames to go slower means less and less exposure.

I hope this explains it for you.

Let us know if you have any more questions or your thoughts. To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

ilian madjarov

Jul 8, 2022
Visit site
Actually no. I understand the logic, but first of all I was wondering why my phone is different from the same model phones when it comes to hyperlapse, and second, it actually didn't work at all. I mean, I used the night speeds but the recording was all black. P.s.I registered in the forum.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that my attempt at helping you failed. First of all I'm just a guy taking my own time to offer assistance to someone for free, out of the kindness of my heart because that's the kind of person I am. I mean so many other people even stopped and offered anything that it's ok to come at the one person who took the time to try. Second if you've seen it work on other devices perhaps you should have asked them what they were doing or how they were making it work. Third I'm sorry to hear about your employment issues, bright side everyone is looking for people so it shouldn't be hard to get back in the game. Unless you meant "it", If you mean It's not working, then maybe this video I found with a simple web search might help. Now I didn't make the video so if it doesn't work or is information you already know you can comment on the video and maybe the creator will comment back... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=wnSy_kht5DM&usg=AOvVaw3uksk35iJLEKMJehfBNUto

In the meantime best wishes and have a great day.

ilian madjarov

Jul 8, 2022
Visit site
Sorry that my attempt at helping you failed. First of all I'm just a guy taking my own time to offer assistance to someone for free, out of the kindness of my heart because that's the kind of person I am. I mean so many other people even stopped and offered anything that it's ok to come at the one person who took the time to try. Second if you've seen it work on other devices perhaps you should have asked them what they were doing or how they were making it work. Third I'm sorry to hear about your employment issues, bright side everyone is looking for people so it shouldn't be hard to get back in the game. Unless you meant "it", If you mean It's not working, then maybe this video I found with a simple web search might help. Now I didn't make the video so if it doesn't work or is information you already know you can comment on the video and maybe the creator will comment back... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=wnSy_kht5DM&usg=AOvVaw3uksk35iJLEKMJehfBNUto

In the meantime best wishes and have a great day.
I understand your irony and thank you for trying to be helpful. However, your ideas did not solve my issue. As I said , it seems that all the YouTube videos on the subject use Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra that differs from mine when it comes to this specific menu (Mine has the latest software update). So, I was wondering if someone had the same phone as mine and had a same problem and has found a solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12