Samsung Galaxy S5 Constantly dropping Wifi

Louis1155

Jul 26, 2017
Visit site
I've had this problem with an S-5 and I'm on Verizon. Dropping the wifi after 30 seconds or so unless it was very close to the router. I have an Asus router that's less than 2 years old and several other wifi enabled devices all working fine. After a half hour text chatting with a tech coach, she decided it must be the router and I should call my home internet service provider. I had read something in this and another forum about security apps causing this and a Verizon app. It was not possible to un-install any of the Verizon apps, so I went in to each one and cleared the cache and all data. Also did the same for the Peel Remote App and restarted the phone. It hasn't dropped the wifi since. It's held it continuously now for about 3 hours.

papafive

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Louis1155 is correct, as it fixed same issue with my S5.

Fix:
Settings > Applications > Application Manager > "Security & Privacy" app > Storage > Manage Storage > Reset Security & Privacy? ; press OK

Shynes_Bright

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem and stumbled across this thread. I saw a post about doing a factory reset and NOT setting up and adding the My Verizon Icon app to the home screen. Well I didn't want to do yet another factory reset so I opened the Verizon folder and noticed I had a notification from the Security App they have now. I opened and it has at least 3-5 different scans set to automatically run. I looked into the settings and sure enough, there is a place for WiFi settings, I opened it and was blown by the fact that this app BLOCKED my home WiFi and my dad's WiFi. I removed them from the blocked list and now they work fine.

Open Verizon Security & Privacy app > WiFi Security > Manage WiFi Networks > Blocked > Check the box for all networks you use > Click Remove Button

Hope this helps!

I also turned off all scans and everything that said "automatic"!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Mr3

Nov 19, 2018
Visit site
11/19/2018 Verizon found my problem today. Verizon Security & Privacy application. Under "Manage Wi-Fi networks" it showed 1 blocked network (which was the wi-fi router at my house). So Verizon blocked my home wi-fi router and their security application was the culprit. We unchecked that network and the wireless connection stayed connected after that. The Verizon support agent was knowledgeable and helpful.

Drew Rennison

Jan 2, 2019
Visit site
I'd be willing to bet its the Sprint Connections Optimizer. Worst idea Sprint has ever had for a program. Go to settings, more networks, mobile network, connections optimizer, then uncheck it. Let us know how it works afterwards.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Its not just sprint, just about an hour ago my phone started to do the same thing. My wifi is perfect with an extra strong connection since my router is in my room, and I go to reconnect to my wife but it keeps disconnecting (I'm with verizon aswell). This has never occurred before and seems very suspicious as to why this is occuring. I'm just glad I'm not the only one

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter