Samsung Galaxy S6 Reviews

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Reviews

Actually after reading it more thoroughly, they state the difference. "the S6 edge's screen brightness couldn't be manually set to 200 nits (our standard benchmark brightness), so it had to go through the test with brightness set at 180 nits. This has most probably caused the difference in the battery life results of the two Galaxies. In real life, though, we expect both phones to exhibit almost the same battery longevity."

So I think it's safe to assume that the S6 battery life is more accurate when it comes to comparison with the other devices. Really makes me realize how much of a difference a little screen brightness can make though.

20 nits difference is pretty small on the scale of display brightness. Maybe like 5% on the display bar setting. So it's hard to believe it makes hour of difference.
There is heated discussion on PA forum over there and it's suspected PA tested final firmware version of edge but pre-release version of regular S6. PA didn't answer that question yet. Will see about it but I think it makes more sense with firmware difference than 20 nits difference on brightness.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Something's wrong about PA's batterylife figures.

There's no way a 50 mAH battery capacity difference and a mere 20 nits brightness difference can make up 1 hour in SoT.

Something's gotta be up with the software/kernel.

In any case, I'm glad to see that the S6 Edge's battery life is better than the S5. I was expecting slightly inferior battery life to the S5, but to see it above the S5 is a pleasant surprise.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Something's wrong about PA's batterylife figures.

There's no way a 50 mAH battery capacity difference and a mere 20 nits brightness difference can make up 1 hour in SoT.

Something's gotta be up with the software/kernel.

In any case, I'm glad to see that the S6 Edge's battery life is better than the S5. I was expecting slightly inferior battery life to the S5, but to see it above the S5 is a pleasant surprise.

If you read into it, the difference is caused by their inability to calibrate the S6 edge to 200 nits of brightness, instead they ran their test at 180 nits for the S6 Edge and 200 nits for the S6. This is a small difference but nonetheless it is still a difference and there could be other factors at play.

I would still consider the regular S6's result to be the more accurate one in this case. I don't put too much credibility into PhoneArenas battery test though as some devices score poorly yet do exceptionally well in real world use. I'm waiting for Anandtech to post their review, I find them to be the most credible with their findings.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

I dont put much stock into benchmark scores. I'm more concerned about real world everyday performance and judging from most of these reviews the S6 is excellent.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

9.3 for the GS6 vs 8.3 for the M9 enough said.
It depends what is important to you. Still waiting for some real world battery life reports. So far none of the M9 reviews have been with the final US version. And this is total nonsense with the S6, the newer colors won't be available in the US and supposedly Verizon will only have black or white? It's ridiculous. Why not all colors on all carriers? Camera is not a big deal for me, from what I have read the M9 camera will be good enough. I'm not looking to take museum quality pictures with a smartphone. QHD screen...who cares? Like 1080 is not adequate for a 5 inch screen? I'm coming from a 720 screen on my Razr Maxx HD so 1080 is more than enough. I was looking at the gold S6 but apparently it won't be available on Verizon. So now the M9 is back in the running. Or maybe just pass and keep my current phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

It depends what is important to you. Still waiting for some real world battery life reports. So far none of the M9 reviews have been with the final US version. And this is total nonsense with the S6, the newer colors won't be available in the US and supposedly Verizon will only have black or white? It's ridiculous. Why not all colors on all carriers? Camera is not a big deal for me, from what I have read the M9 camera will be good enough. I'm not looking to take museum quality pictures with a smartphone. QHD screen...who cares? Like 1080 is not adequate for a 5 inch screen? I'm coming from a 720 screen on my Razr Maxx HD so 1080 is more than enough. I was looking at the gold S6 but apparently it won't be available on Verizon. So now the M9 is back in the running. Or maybe just pass and keep my current phone.

Well said but where there's smoke, there's fire. Granted reviews vary by firmware version and reviewer and we don't have production unit results yet but they are coming. Initial ones give us great optimism for even better reviews going forward. As the embargo is lifted, these reviewers will most likely be evaluating production units that will give a better indication. The early reviews have been more consistently good for the GS6 whereas the M9 has been hammered pretty well across the board so far.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have just been to my local shopping mall in the North of England where I got to try both the S6, S6 edge and M9

I firstly went to the Samsung store to see their beautiful presentation of phones, I asked if they had the S6 in and they said right this way sir.... unfortunately, by 3pm all of them were out of battery... JOKING!

My first impressions were, this phone is AMAZING, it was super fast with no lag, the screen was out of this world, and the camera hump isn't a problem at all.

Between the edge and the regular, I would elect the regular, firstly because of the way it feels in the hand, I can imagine people dropping the edge ALOT

Secondly, I believe the regular S6 has a bigger screen, I know that technically it is the same size, but when you are looking directly down at the phone you aren't fully seeing the content on the edge of the screen, yes it is visible but not as clearly as the regular S6. So technically the edge has a narrower screen.

I got to test the M9 absolutely no presentation in any stores, it was just wired up on the rack next to all the other phones.
I first noticed that it was warm, super warm, it was kind of like taking your power pack out of the wall socket and holding it. The screen had been on all day, but so had the S6's.

However, the screen on the M9 was also great, and it felt amazing in the hand.

I'm just waiting for the battery life confirmations so I can order the S6

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have just been to my local shopping mall in the North of England where I got to try both the S6, S6 edge and M9

I firstly went to the Samsung store to see their beautiful presentation of phones, I asked if they had the S6 in and they said right this way sir.... unfortunately, by 3pm all of them were out of battery... JOKING!

My first impressions were, this phone is AMAZING, it was super fast with no lag, the screen was out of this world, and the camera hump isn't a problem at all.

Between the edge and the regular, I would elect the regular, firstly because of the way it feels in the hand, I can imagine people dropping the edge ALOT

Secondly, I believe the regular S6 has a bigger screen, I know that technically it is the same size, but when you are looking directly down at the phone you aren't fully seeing the content on the edge of the screen, yes it is visible but not as clearly as the regular S6. So technically the edge has a narrower screen.

I got to test the M9 absolutely no presentation in any stores, it was just wired up on the rack next to all the other phones.
I first noticed that it was warm, super warm, it was kind of like taking your power pack out of the wall socket and holding it. The screen had been on all day, but so had the S6's.

However, the screen on the M9 was also great, and it felt amazing in the hand.

I'm just waiting for the battery life confirmations so I can order the S6

Did you find that the GS6 felt better in the hand than the Edge? I am totally on board with your caution about battery life and you've aware of my thoughts. The smaller battery in the GS6 is achieving near comparable results powering a better device than it predecessor with a larger battery. If it gets you through a whole day at work, and there are options like charging at work and in the car as well as rapid charging, wireless charging and power banks, battery life while important should not be holding back your decision within the current paradigm. More and more businesses like Starbucks and companies like. IKEA are going to make wireless charging more common place. It's totally your call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello