Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge water resistance failure

W1bb1y

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I've posted this as a reply on another thread here on AC, but thought I'd re-post in it's own thread and see what response I get.

Carphone Warehouse are currently giving me the runaround for water damage not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. I told them in store when I returned with the phone, that I deliberately did a water test in fairly shallow water (8" max) for no more than a couple of minutes; which the phone failed miserably. It seems whatever part of the board controls the sensors (proximity, acceleration, orientation etc) is fried due to water ingress, plus the recent apps button is now dodgy too. Apart from that, the phone is in perfect physical condition, it was just 8 weeks old.

CPW are now refusing to repair or even acknowledge the fact that it's marketed and sold as being water resistant, or how it could be water damaged. Is it because of some failure in manufacture, ie. the seals didn't seal properly, or are the claims hugely exaggerated?

I'm fed up with people smugly saying "it's a phone, why would you put it in water", "it's not supposed to be waterproof". Correct, it isn't but it is damn well marketed as being IP68 water resistant, and that's upto 30 mins at 1.5m and it would seem that I'm not the only S7 Edge owner that's come a cropper and had theirs fail WELL below that threshold. It doesn't take much effort to find Samsung's own marketing material bigging it up in this way, and I'm simply not prepared to roll over on the warranty cop out. Admittedly I'm only just at the point of approaching Samsung directly, as I've been giving Carphone Warhouse opportunity to do the right thing. They haven't, so now I'm complaining to Samsung directly as well. I've read too many posts about Samsung standing behind their warranty terms over water damage, so I started blogging my escapades in advance in the hope that word gets around and might put pressure on.

If you're interested please have a read here at http://cpwandsamsungcomplaint.wordpress.com/ It's obvious I'm not the only one out there with this problem and hopefully if we all shout loud enough, someone might take notice.

Cheers

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If the damage was caused by a manufacturer defect then Samsung should cover it.

If it was caused by something external (for example, dropping the phone, which might partially damage the seal) then it wouldn't be covered.

Samsung can do tests to determine reason for failure.

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
You should try a water test with the new one to see if the problem was corrected. 😉

I agree that they do push the IP68 rating as a big feature so it does kind of suck when it doesn't live up to the rating. Hopefully your old one was a one off.

That's great that they stepped up and replaced the phone. Hopefully it goes this way for other people too.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Samsung is now offering a year of replacement for any S7 active that breaks from moisture they should extend it to all new galaxy devices.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Samsung is now offering a year of replacement for any S7 active that breaks from moisture they should extend it to all new galaxy devices.

The story needs to be picked up by a large company like consumer affairs so Samsung has no choice but to acknowledge it. However dont think just because they agreed to replace the Actives that its smooth sailing. Im on my 3rd active and none of them came from Samsung. At&t replaced them for me on Samsungs behalf because Samsung made it blatantly clear they were going to find some reason to blame me for the water damage.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
This all came about because of the consumers report on the devices.

Sorry, not affairs, reports. They need to do a story on the entire line before Samsung will acknowledge theres an issue. The problem is during the s7 Active reports they praised the edge and standard s7 repeatedly. One would think these phones are perfect based on what theyve said about them.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it because of some failure in manufacture, ie. the seals didn't seal properly, or are the claims hugely exaggerated?
It's because the expectations are hugely exaggerated. The phone is just barely more water resistant that your average 25 pence pocket watch.

If you MUST put electronics in water, use a pair of zippable plastic bags. Put the phone into the first one and zip it. Put it zipper-end-first into the second one and zip that. Then treat it as "able to withstand a mild rain". I've dropped a phone protected like that (with a float attached) into the ocean and retrieved it with a long-handled net, but I still treat phones like electronic devices - electronics and water don't mix unless they've soaked the device in a plastic varnish for 24 hours or more. (And even then I expose the electronics to as little water as possible, for as short a time as possible.) Rely on a rubber gasket? Not even with YOUR phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogerinsg99