Samsung Galaxy S7 - My expectations

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
People with S5s who skipped the S6 for this precise reason will likely upgrade to the S7. That's usually how it works. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm skipping this iteration like I did the 6. My S5 runs fantastic and snappy. Not to mention it plus the Carl Zeiss VR one (and ps3 controller) make it an awesome little VR setup.

Android Central App | S5 G900A kitkat root

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty great that your S5 continues to run so well for you. I had the S4 which despite the lag, was one of my top phones ever. It was so packed with gimmicks and features that I never got bored with it. Then I went over to HTC for awhile before coming back for the Note 4 and 5.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty great that your S5 continues to run so well for you. I had the S4 which despite the lag, was one of my top phones ever. It was so packed with gimmicks and features that I never got bored with it. Then I went over to HTC for awhile before coming back for the Note 4 and 5.

If the Note 6 comes with a 6-inch display and a battery over 4000mAh in capacity, would you upgrade as a Note 5 owner?

Honestly, the bigger battery is already the kicker for me. Plus the possibility of expandable storage making a return.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S7. The perfect phone?

Let's face it, not much was wrong with the S6 line up last year. Let's just talk about the Regular S6 variant. I used it for 6 months before I switched the S6 edge. Yes they're basically the same phones but the edge is so much sexier IMHO.

The S6 had its flaws. But let's just mention what it got right. Not right, almost perfect. Built quality was nearly perfect. The S6 in Gold Platinium being one of the most beautiful phones I've ever seen. Then came the screen; Undoubtedly the best screen ever made. Camera; again, the best in class.

Having said that, it did got a lot of things wrong. The battery life was horrible. Touchwiz, I'm sorry, still isn't the best. The RAM management was terrible. I don't mind it's looks now I think it's nice. But still, though my phone didn't lag, I have seen people struggling with it. The hardware and the software still aren't working together like they should. Then came the little things with people facing signal problems. WiFi issues. Home button issues.

The galaxy S7 has till now solved one of these issues; battery life. And I'm sure the new hardware will solve these signals and WiFi issues as well. What's left is the software and RAM management. IF samsung manages to solve these two issues, I think we'll have a nearly perfect phone in hands.

What do you think?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S7. The perfect phone?

What's left is the software and RAM management. IF samsung manages to solve these two issues, I think we'll have a nearly perfect phone in hands.

They've been scaling back Touchwiz recently, and its been rumored that they asked in Google to help them pare things down a bit more... early returns from the S6 owners that tested 6.0 are promising.

But don't hold your breath for improved memory management. How the Note 5 and S6 handle memory is precisely how Samsung wants it to be handled. I don't see that changing all that much.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm skipping this iteration like I did the 6. My S5 runs fantastic and snappy. Not to mention it plus the Carl Zeiss VR one (and ps3 controller) make it an awesome little VR setup.

I liked S5 and skipped S6 too as I didn't see much appeal other than camera. But skipping even S7? That's tough for me with all these rumored things (significantly better battery life, micro-sd slot and water-proof returning, etc) going for S7. Not to mention much faster performance. I think it now takes two generations in phone to see noticeable difference in performance.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
If the Note 6 comes with a 6-inch display and a battery over 4000mAh in capacity, would you upgrade as a Note 5 owner?

Honestly, the bigger battery is already the kicker for me. Plus the possibility of expandable storage making a return.

I'll be tempted. It all depends on how future proof the Note 5 remains when stacked against the 2016 flagships. Also, if Samsung remains as slow with updates as they have been with the S6 and Note 4, I may look elsewhere all together.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
They've been scaling back Touchwiz recently, and its been rumored that they asked in Google to help them pare things down a bit more... early returns from the S6 owners that tested 6.0 are promising.

But don't hold your breath for improved memory management. How the Note 5 and S6 handle memory is precisely how Samsung wants it to be handled. I don't see that changing all that much.

I think this is the part so many people miss. Samsung RAM management isn't some defect that needs fixing. It's the way they want their phones to run, at least for now.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I liked S5 and skipped S6 too as I didn't see much appeal other than camera. But skipping even S7? That's tough for me with all these rumored things (significantly better battery life, micro-sd slot and water-proof returning, etc) going for S7. Not to mention much faster performance. I think it now takes two generations in phone to see noticeable difference in performance.

Don't get me wrong, I love keeping up with the tech (in terms of reading and watching) but if it ain't broke, why replace it ya know ;P

For the longest time I was rocking my Nokia N96 when the world had moved on to the iPhone, so I'm used to being behind with the hardware I carry around in my back pocket.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S7. The perfect phone?

I jumped off the Samsung Galaxy train. last year. I dont seem them going back to previous design features.Samsung abandoned Micro SD & User replaceable battery.with drastic design changes to emulate iPhone. & Samsung's Affinity for bloatware. They lost my business and I am not looking back.

I have given into the fact that having a microSD on board is not a must have anymore I prefer the Nexus 6P. 3.5 months in I cant complain.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm liking the S7, but confused why there is no IR Blaster?

Am I the only one that uses IR blaster for multiple controls? it's so handy.

dreaming of electric sheep

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm liking the S7, but confused why there is no IR Blaster?

Am I the only one that uses IR blaster for multiple controls? it's so handy.

dreaming of electric sheep

My phone is always within reach compared to my tv remote - it's so convenient controller everything from the phone. Hopefully they'll keep the ir blaster.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just watched G5 announcement. I considered G5 just in case S7 wouldn't impress me somehow. Well, not a chance. G5 design, battery is underwhelming and got awkward UI.