Samsung galaxy tab 10.5 internal stoage full...help

Amy606

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have the Samsung galaxy tab 10.5 and I am trying to do updates for apps, but the internal storage is full. I have a 64gb micro sd card with my apps stored on their but it's just saying insufficient memory when I try to update. Any hints/tips to fix the problem? I can't see a way to set the micro sd as default storage...it's a bit of a pain so any help would be great

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand MOST apps canNOT be moved or installed on an SD-card. They install to Internal Memory which on a 16gb device can be a limitation. There are some apps that can be moved or part of them can be moved. For instance I've a mapping program that can install or move its offline maps to the card after they have been installed first to internal memory.

Also, check to see that you photos, music and video files are stored on the sd card.

Let's see if anyone else has better info on working on your problem.

Amy606

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I didn't realise that the app doesn't store the files for the apps on the sd card. It's such a pain, I don't have any pics,music or videos on the device. I'm at a loss really as to what to do..it's just going to make using the tablet frustrating,thanks for the reply

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Get free APPMGRIII and it helps move apps manually to the SD card. I too was suprised to find out that Samsung 's use of external memory is so poor. Had I known that, I would not have bought this tablet and stuck with the Ipad. 64gb of memory on an IPad is 64 gb of useful memory. Here we get only 16 gb and have to manually move apps and other files over to external. A lot of apps ONLY install on internal memory.
This is a major flaw in the Samsung tablet. Unfortunately sales people are remiss to point this out to potential customers.
Fortunately the rest of the Android operating system seems to be okay.

Posted via the Android Central App

illlya

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Get free APPMGRIII and it helps move apps manually to the SD card. I too was suprised to find out that Samsung 's use of external memory is so poor. Had I known that, I would not have bought this tablet and stuck with the Ipad. 64gb of memory on an IPad is 64 gb of useful memory. Here we get only 16 gb and have to manually move apps and other files over to external. A lot of apps ONLY install on internal memory.
This is a major flaw in the Samsung tablet. Unfortunately sales people are remiss to point this out to potential customers.
Fortunately the rest of the Android operating system seems to be okay.

Well, I have 32 GB of device memory. You should have planned ahead and bought from Bestbuy!

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport

Amy606

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
No you don't get told that when you buy a tablet. Mine is less than a year old and is going to become unusable. I don't understand why you aren't able to run stuff from the micro sd card. I've got very few apps and all are stored on the memory card. I think I'd have gone for an ipad if id had known how bad the the memory is.

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Well, I have 32 GB of device memory. You should have planned ahead and bought from Bestbuy!

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport

My problem is that I believed in the misleading Samsung advertising. I knew the tablet was only 16 GB internal but I expanded the memory to 128 GB external. Samsung forgot to mention there is a major difference between internal and external memory.

cbb77

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Is your tab rooted? If so you can use an app called Foldermount. It will allow you to move alot of the apps (or the large files ) to SD card. I use it on mine and have a ton of apps running there.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No you don't get told that when you buy a tablet. Mine is less than a year old and is going to become unusable. I don't understand why you aren't able to run stuff from the micro sd card. I've got very few apps and all are stored on the memory card. I think I'd have gone for an ipad if id had known how bad the the memory is.

I wonder why "very few apps" are taking up that much room. I have loaded quite a few apps and so far (fingers tightly crossed) I have not run into any warnings YET!

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Is your tab rooted? If so you can use an app called Foldermount. It will allow you to move alot of the apps (or the large files ) to SD card. I use it on mine and have a ton of apps running there.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Foldermount? But the with every update you have to again move the app?

I read that once you root your tablet you can set the install location to 1, meaning installs and updates(?) are all put on the sd card. I don't know of anyone that has done this with a Samsung Tab s.
But what happens when the next Android update for the operating system comes along?
I should start a new thread on this topic of rooting.

Amy606

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I've moved any apps I can to the sd card. There are a total of about 15 apps, social media, sky go, kindle app etc. I've taken any games off. Again, I assumed I'd be able to use the sd card hey ho

cbb77

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Foldermount? But the with every update you have to again move the app?

I read that once you root your tablet you can set the install location to 1, meaning installs and updates(?) are all put on the sd card. I don't know of anyone that has done this with a Samsung Tab s.
But what happens when the next Android update for the operating system comes along?
I should start a new thread on this topic of rooting.

No you do not need to move the app for updates. Once it is set it remains that way until to tell the app to uninstall it or move the files back. Again, I have tons of apps running off the SD card. All updates will get performed to the SD card instead of internal. Basically the app creates a symlink which is a redirect to the SD card. From an app perspective it thinks it's writing locally but in fact it's actually writing to the external SD card. Take a look and try for yourself. Will say that you do need to buy Foldermount but I believe it's well worth the price. ($2 or $3 I believe)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount&hl=en

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ditto, F2! How many constitute a "few"? How many of those are really necessary? How large are they?

I seem to have 163 Apps installed (looking at the APPS screen - just my Icon Drawer (?) Pages). I have SIX Pages at 30 Icons each minus a few here and there on some of those pages.

Is there a Status Screen somewhere that actually provides that kind of Info?

Total Storage 16gb
System Memory 4.51gb
Used Space 5.09gb
Cached data 462mb
Misc Files 1.01gb
Available Space 4.93gb

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
No you do not need to move the app for updates. Once it is set it remains that way until to tell the app to uninstall it or move the files back. Again, I have tons of apps running off the SD card. All updates will get performed to the SD card instead of internal. Basically the app creates a symlink which is a redirect to the SD card. From an app perspective it thinks it's writing locally but in fact it's actually writing to the external SD card. Take a look and try for yourself. Will say that you do need to buy Foldermount but I believe it's well worth the price. ($2 or $3 I believe)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount&hl=en

The first thing I would have to do in order to use Foldermount is to root my Samsung Galaxy Tab s.

wally18324

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I myself rooted my tablet, installed link2sd. Works well I have a 64gb sdcard. You have to partition your sdcard. XDA has some info, read up on it. I am an app hoarder, have over 200 apps and a couple of large games. You can move apps, data, files to sdcard. Read up on it you wont be sorry. Hope it helps let me know.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Just installed Link2SD and this is fantastic... Thank for passing on the info. The only thing that it won't move are obviously system files, and it seems anything that is owned or developed by Google (YouTube, Chrome, Google Maps, etc.) But I just moved more than 2 GB of apps over to the SD card.

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I myself rooted my tablet, installed link2sd. Works well I have a 64gb sdcard. You have to partition your sdcard. XDA has some info, read up on it. I am an app hoarder, have over 200 apps and a couple of large games. You can move apps, data, files to sdcard. Read up on it you wont be sorry. Hope it helps let me know.

Why do you have to partition your SD card? Partitioning usually means wiping out something and starting from scratch.

wally18324

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
You backup your files to the pc. After you have partitioned your sdcard, put the files back on it. When you insert the card back in it will ask you which script, ext2, 3 ,4 etc.. Then you can link apps to the system partitions.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
When I installed Link2SD, I never partitioned my SD card...... I never read anything in the instructions for me to partition unless I missed that...i did notice that it said something about not finding a partition, b08ut I just went to the "Analize Apps" option, chose an app and saw it said "move to SDCard" and it worked fine..... Ateast this was my experience.