Samsung Galaxy Watch 6 & Watch 6 Classic review: If it ain't broke...

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
So compared to the watch 5 it's bigger, heavier, and has significantly less battery life. Sounds like they "broke" a few things along the way. Also, no new or improved sensors, which is disappointing for a new version. But it does have the rotating bezel which is important to some. Many of the software improvements will also be released to the 4 and 5 versions with an update.

To me, the rotating bezel on the classic is the only possible reason to update. At least, the price was not increased.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So compared to the watch 5 it's bigger, heavier, and has significantly less battery life. Sounds like they "broke" a few things along the way. Also, no new or improved sensors, which is disappointing for a new version. But it does have the rotating bezel which is important to some. Many of the software improvements will also be released to the 4 and 5 versions with an update.

To me, the rotating bezel on the classic is the only possible reason to update. At least, the price was not increased.
Yeah, I've been pretty outspoken about the fact that I consider it a huge downgrade over the watch 5 Pro. I'm not losing my 4-day battery life lol

Cør

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Having just migrated from an iPhone 14 Pro and Apple Watch 8 to an S23 Ultra and Galaxy Watch 6 Classic there's been a few things I can certainly day I appreciate on each platform.

With regards the Galaxy Watch 6 Classic, I'm enjoying the different form factor and how I interact with notifications compared to that on WatchOS. I also appreciate the ability to customise my watch with a variety of faces, something Apple doesn't allow beyond those it applies, strangely, or not?!

One thing I will say I appreciate more about Apple Watch over Galaxy Watch is ease of swapping bands. The mechanism on Apple Watch is easier with sliding the band pieces in and out, whilst Galaxy Watch band pieces are a little more difficult to get into place.

I find navigating nice and easy on the Galaxy Watch and like that Microsoft Authenticator is still available to approve via the watch on this platform where it was removed on Apple Watch months ago - when you have to use it regularly convenience is appreciated.

I know some have commented about the added weight of the 6 Classic, but I have to say I enjoy the added weight.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Having just migrated from an iPhone 14 Pro and Apple Watch 8 to an S23 Ultra and Galaxy Watch 6 Classic there's been a few things I can certainly day I appreciate on each platform.

With regards the Galaxy Watch 6 Classic, I'm enjoying the different form factor and how I interact with notifications compared to that on WatchOS. I also appreciate the ability to customise my watch with a variety of faces, something Apple doesn't allow beyond those it applies, strangely, or not?!

One thing I will say I appreciate more about Apple Watch over Galaxy Watch is ease of swapping bands. The mechanism on Apple Watch is easier with sliding the band pieces in and out, whilst Galaxy Watch band pieces are a little more difficult to get into place.

I find navigating nice and easy on the Galaxy Watch and like that Microsoft Authenticator is still available to approve via the watch on this platform where it was removed on Apple Watch months ago - when you have to use it regularly convenience is appreciated.

I know some have commented about the added weight of the 6 Classic, but I have to say I enjoy the added weight.
Never used a fruity watch, but it shouldn't be overlooked that the point of the Galaxy watch strap mount is that it retains compatibility with standard 20mm straps, whereas Apple ensure that you can't use anything they don't get a kickback from.

Cør

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Never used a fruity watch, but it shouldn't be overlooked that the point of the Galaxy watch strap mount is that it retains compatibility with standard 20mm straps, whereas Apple ensure that you can't use anything they don't get a kickback from.
Hence why they've stuck with that awful lightning port so long, bless Europe for forcing change there.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Anybody getting 4 days on their 5 Pro isn't using it to it's full potential. I'm getting the same battery on my 6 Classic as I did on my 5 Pro. Charging every other night. And I have the superior bezel.

Reactions: Rose4uKY

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Anybody getting 4 days on their 5 Pro isn't using it to it's full potential. I'm getting the same battery on my 6 Classic as I did on my 5 Pro. Charging every other night. And I have the superior bezel.
Are you doing an apples to apples comparison? AOD, health monitoring, etc., the same on both?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Are you doing an apples to apples comparison? AOD, health monitoring, etc., the same on both?
My watch does everything but AOD. That's a battery waster. The question is, if you can get 4 days, what are you using your watch for? And I didn't mean that directly at fuzzy, more of a general statement. Every day usage for notifications, health tracking, etc should put a reduction on your battery. You should be putting it thru the paces so that you have to charge it at least every other day.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My watch does everything but AOD. That's a battery waster. The question is, if you can get 4 days, what are you using your watch for? And I didn't mean that directly at fuzzy, more of a general statement. Every day usage for notifications, health tracking, etc should put a reduction on your battery. You should be putting it thru the paces so that you have to charge it at least every other day.
Iuse it as a smartwatch... notification triage every day all day, health stuff for the bit of health stuff I do lol. Sleep tracking is on... I make the odd phone call and send/reply by voice to a ton of messages. I don't have AOD on most of the time, but with it on constantly I get 3 days.

If you are getting the same 2 day battery with your 5 Pro as your 6 Classic with the same use on both, then there is something wrong with your 5 Pro

I had trouble getting a full 24 hours out of my watch 4 classic, which has the same quoted battery life as the 6 Classic, which is why I refuse to downgrade from the 5 Pro. I really like a rotating bezel, but they gave me a year to get used to the capacitive one and I REALLY don't want my battery anxiety back. .

Last edited:

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm doing about the same. No AOD, no full time HR monitoring, and screen timeout at the min setting. Everything else is at the default settings when I set up the watch. I also get a solid 72 hours.

From what I read, these settings on the GW6 pro only get around 48 hours.

paulhafer

May 9, 2012
Visit site
In considering the Classic 6, I've seen these two model numbers: SM-R950NZ and SM-R950NZKAXAA . . . does anyone know if they are different?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've been pretty outspoken about the fact that I consider it a huge downgrade over the watch 5 Pro. I'm not losing my 4-day battery life lol
Oh I just commented somewhere else cause I searched for a thread on this so my husband should keep his watch5 Pro even if he can get the 47mm classic for $85 plus Rakuten 15% off?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter