Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro, help get Verizon Advanced Calling features working

Protonus

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Hello, and thank you in advance for your assistance. I am not certain the correct place to ask this question as I did not see a Xcover Pro subforum. If there is a better place to ask this please let me know.

I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro, I purchased it from Amazon as Verizon does not yet sell this phone to consumers, only to enterprise accounts. I am trying to get Advanced Calling features to work on it, aka: HD Voice, Video Calling, VoLTE, etc. I have LTE+ data and WiFi calling working, but I have no Advanced Calling menu in Dialer or Communication settings. Verizon support tells me it's "not possible" since the phone didn't come from them... If I go into the *#*#4636#*#* menu, under Phone information, "VoLTE Provisioned" is grayed out. I'm wondering if the phone is missing a firmware update or APK to unlock advanced calling, maybe one that could be installed from another Verizon Samsung phone?

4636.png

I have tried replacing the SIM card, which required activating it in my old phone, my LG V10, before it would work on the new phone. Advanced Calling features DO work on the LG V10 with both the old SIM and the new one...

Any thoughts or assistance with this would be great, as Advanced Calling seems to be the only thing I can't get to work on this. It is otherwise an awesome phone!

If you're not familar with the phone, I think it's the best buy in 2020. It's a new phone that comes with Android 10 out of the box, with removable battery (!), MicroSD, dual sim, headphone jack, notification LED, a IP68 water / dust resistant rating, milspec designed (5 food drop rated), "built in case", recessed screen, and so on. It's a highly durable, repairable, up to date phone using a respectable mid tier chipset that has modern power savings and so on. It's $500 from Amazon etc, and works on multiple carriers including Verizon and AT&T.

astrodan13

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
There's your one big problem, if Verizon doesn't "support" that particular model, you can't get those "features" . Most likely the IMEI is not in their database and that model hasn't been tested on their network. Another problem could be that that particular phone doesn't have the proper LTE bands over which the advanced calling features are used on.
Carriers can be very finicky on allowing features to be activated on phones not bought through them. There are troves of people in the forums that have bought basically say, the same Samsung phones through Amazon, Best Buy, etc that certain features won't be activated through many of the carriers just because it is not in those carriers IMEI databases, even though it carries the same LTE bands as those carriers.
In a nutshell, if you want those carriers calling features, you need to buy that carriers phones. At least it's working on Verizons network. With the portability act, carriers have to let other carriers phones work on their networks (if it has the appropriate bands. Some phones are just incompatible between carriers), but they don't have to allow all advanced features to work. I know this is not the answer you are looking for. You can try calling Verizon back to see if they will white list your phone, but don't hold your breath. I hope that this helps in some way.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There's your one big problem, if Verizon doesn't "support" that particular model, you can't get those "features" . Most likely the IMEI is not in their database and that model hasn't been tested on their network. Another problem could be that that particular phone doesn't have the proper LTE bands over which the advanced calling features are used on.
Carriers can be very finicky on allowing features to be activated on phones not bought through them. There are troves of people in the forums that have bought basically say, the same Samsung phones through Amazon, Best Buy, etc that certain features won't be activated through many of the carriers just because it is not in those carriers IMEI databases, even though it carries the same LTE bands as those carriers.
In a nutshell, if you want those carriers calling features, you need to buy that carriers phones. At least it's working on Verizons network. With the portability act, carriers have to let other carriers phones work on their networks (if it has the appropriate bands. Some phones are just incompatible between carriers), but they don't have to allow all advanced features to work. I know this is not the answer you are looking for. You can try calling Verizon back to see if they will white list your phone, but don't hold your breath. I hope that this helps in some way.
I'm not familiar with the Xcover but my last 3 unlocked devices purchased from Samsung support WIFi calling and VOLTE.
You won't see an advanced calling menu but it shows wifi calling in the connections menu. Many of the unlocked models automatically support Volte but again I'm not familiar with the OP's model.

astrodan13

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I gotcha Mike. It seems some models work fine, others not so good. Maybe you can explain to the Op where you found those settings. I've always bought through my carrier and never had problems. But I've seen many people on these forums complain about not being able to use WiFi calling, Hotspot, advanced calling, etc as their carrier won't allow it. I personally think it's ridiculous, but each carrier has their own rules. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Op that maybe you can get it working for him! Have a great day everyone!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I gotcha Mike. It seems some models work fine, others not so good. Maybe you can explain to the Op where you found those settings. I've always bought through my carrier and never had problems. But I've seen many people on these forums complain about not being able to use WiFi calling, Hotspot, advanced calling, etc as their carrier won't allow it. I personally think it's ridiculous, but each carrier has their own rules. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Op that maybe you can get it working for him! Have a great day everyone!
The worst is AT&T

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello, and thank you in advance for your assistance. I am not certain the correct place to ask this question as I did not see a Xcover Pro subforum. If there is a better place to ask this please let me know.

I have a brand new Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro, I purchased it from Amazon as Verizon does not yet sell this phone to consumers, only to enterprise accounts. I am trying to get Advanced Calling features to work on it, aka: HD Voice, Video Calling, VoLTE, etc. I have LTE+ data and WiFi calling working, but I have no Advanced Calling menu in Dialer or Communication settings. Verizon support tells me it's "not possible" since the phone didn't come from them... If I go into the *#*#4636#*#* menu, under Phone information, "VoLTE Provisioned" is grayed out. I'm wondering if the phone is missing a firmware update or APK to unlock advanced calling, maybe one that could be installed from another Verizon Samsung phone?

View attachment 322175

I have tried replacing the SIM card, which required activating it in my old phone, my LG V10, before it would work on the new phone. Advanced Calling features DO work on the LG V10 with both the old SIM and the new one...

Any thoughts or assistance with this would be great, as Advanced Calling seems to be the only thing I can't get to work on this. It is otherwise an awesome phone!

If you're not familar with the phone, I think it's the best buy in 2020. It's a new phone that comes with Android 10 out of the box, with removable battery (!), MicroSD, dual sim, headphone jack, notification LED, a IP68 water / dust resistant rating, milspec designed (5 food drop rated), "built in case", recessed screen, and so on. It's a highly durable, repairable, up to date phone using a respectable mid tier chipset that has modern power savings and so on. It's $500 from Amazon etc, and works on multiple carriers including Verizon and AT&T.
HD calling and Volte are basically the same thing. In your screenshot I see that it lists your voice network as LTE. You're not going to see an advanced calling menu.