Samsung Messages or Google messages

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I have a bug on Google messages where I get duplicate notifications on my Watch 5....
The only thing I can think is the watch or the wear app on the phone isn't recognizing the Google Messages companion app on the watch as installed. The watch is basically a remote screen for receiving the phone's "notifications", and via the wear app on the phone almost all "notifications" are able to be sent to the watch. Take a close look at the two notifications you are getting on the watch and try to notice if one looks like a default notification (similar to any notification the phone sends when a watch companion app doesn't exist, say like for an email). If one is distinctively an on watch companion app generated notification and the other a default notification, then maybe something in the notifications settings in the wear app on the phone can trick the phone to stop sending the default notifications.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I can think is the watch or the wear app on the phone isn't recognizing the Google Messages companion app on the watch as installed. The watch is basically a remote screen for receiving the phone's "notifications", and via the wear app on the phone almost all "notifications" are able to be sent to the watch. Take a close look at the two notifications you are getting on the watch and try to notice if one looks like a default notification (similar to any notification the phone sends when a watch companion app doesn't exist, say like for an email). If one is distinctively an on watch companion app generated notification and the other a default notification, then maybe something in the notifications settings in the wear app on the phone can trick the phone to stop sending the default notifications.
So I get one notification but two duplicate messages within the notification. However the message isn't duplicated when I open the Google messages app on the watch. So my watch only vibrates and rings the sound for one notification. But, for every sms it's duplicated in the notification pop up on the watch.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Each has its pros and cons.

I to back and forth but since Google added Device Pairing via account rather than QR ive had less issues.

Still no dual-sim RCS like Samsung Messages though (carrier/U builds).

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I think I may have found the solution to my problem with Google Messages. I found this setting in the advanced section of GM. I also cleared the data and cache as well as removed all the permissions from the app on my phone. This fixed my multiple sms messages in the notifications on my watch.
41cd76531152e7c7111470f8f07f2e75.jpg

Reactions: wyelkins

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have found the solution to my problem with Google Messages. I found this setting in the advanced section of GM. I also cleared the data and cache as well as removed all the permissions from the app on my phone. This fixed my multiple sms messages in the notifications on my watch.
41cd76531152e7c7111470f8f07f2e75.jpg
Could you tell me what this setting is for? I've seen this but I left this off. Is this related to Bixby integration and messages? or other? I do not use Bixby, so I left this off.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Could you tell me what this setting is for? I've seen this but I left this off. Is this related to Bixby integration and messages? or other? I do not use Bixby, so I left this off.
I don't use Bixby either. I have no idea if this is what fixed it or what. I will try and turn it off to see if it makes a difference or not in my watch notifications.

Edit: Ok. It didn't make a difference in my notifications. I still am only getting one sms message on my watch with it turned off. Maybe I'll leave it on. But I truly have no idea what this setting is for. Maybe it gives Bixby the ability to compose messages.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
As well as Bixby it lets you text from a watch or tablet that is connected to your Samsung account.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
That setting randomly comes and goes in my menu and doesn't at least for me have any impactful changes.

If you uninstall updates and sideload Samsung Dynamic from APKMirror it should make the setting show up but you'll be on the OneUI upgrade path moving forward.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
...if you uninstall updates and sideload Samsung Dynamic from APKMirror it should make the setting show up but you'll be on the OneUI upgrade path moving forward.
I try to avoid getting Samsung App apks from anywhere but Galaxy Store, due to Samsung signing keys issue, which could result in any apk "appearing" to be legitimately signed/from Samsung. Also, in my case it's not the Samsung Messages App that I'm using, but the Google Messages App.