Samsung Pay Rant

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
So Samsung Pay has been around for absolutely ages now in many markets across the world. Why the h*ll are we still waiting in the UK? One of the reasons i bought my phone and my Gear S3 is Samsung pay and i cant even use it yet.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

/Rant over

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Rant received and completely understood. You would think the UK would have been one of the first. I am sure there is a reason behind the madness. Whether it's a good reason remains to be seen.

It has been rumored that the delay is because of negotiations with the banks, but who knows for sure.

I hope you feel a little better now:)

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Lol i guess i do a bit.

The news (as much as you can trust it) was that Visa was having issues with the MST but that doesn't make sense because they use Visa in other markets.

Could be the banks but i just wish it would be done now. I feel like my phone is in a straight jacket being limited.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Lol i guess i do a bit.

The news (as much as you can trust it) was that Visa was having issues with the MST but that doesn't make sense because they use Visa in other markets.

Could be the banks but i just wish it would be done now. I feel like my phone is in a straight jacket being limited.
Banks not in on Samsung Pay yet probably have a deal with Apple Pay or have security concerns over Samsung Pay. Just opinion. But more and more banks are adding on

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I would not trust Samsung with my CC info. In fact I would not trust Android all together. I read that one can install spyware that even a factory reset won't remove.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I would not trust Samsung with my CC info. In fact I would not trust Android all together. I read that one can install spyware that even a factory reset won't remove.
Samsung Pay is quite secure. In fact, it is more secure than carrying around and providing your actual CC to merchants. There are always vulnerabilities, but they have done a fantastic job with security.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Did you read the article? These were corporate phones, somewhere along the supply chain, from a private vendor. Sounds like corporate espionage. They never actually say how many of these phones were actually effected. Chances are these are custom built phones the public never sees. The same can happen to a blackberry or Apple.
Samsung phones come pre installed with malware detection that you need to actively turn off.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't suspecting that I had one of these "infected" phones. The issue is, there exist mechanisms allowing these spyware to be planted in Android phones. Here is another example -
http://bgr.com/2016/12/16/android-malware-data-collection/

My comments are not to convince others whether Samsung Pay is secure or not. I am not an expert here, and I am probably wrong here. I am merely stating why *I* choose not to trust Samsung.

Last edited:

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
In reality, trusting any corporation is dangerous.
I trust Google more than Apple because they state clearly what they do with your information, with opt in or outs. Apple just says what they may do with your information.

But Samsung pay, Android pay, and Apple pay are some of the most secure ways to make payment. On the S8 there is facial recognition, it's slightly insecure so it cannot be used for Samsung pay. Fingerprints, iris or passwords are required.

Do you not trust Toyota because a few years back they had brake problems? Or when Apple had a data breach on iCloud? Target had credit card info stolen, Samsung pay would have prevented that, and people still use their cards to buy there.

Every year there is a hackers convention, guess what happens every year around that time. Freakout articles about how every phone on the planet is infected. One instance was that Samsung keyboards could give away all your passwords. But none of the mainstream media actually explained how. Had to be on public wifi, your keyboard had to be updating, and a person with malicious intent had to be looking for that specific exploit.

Samsung pay is secure, news articles like this are made to stir up readers, there is no actual information in the article.

Every one of the phones mentioned was out of the owner control and before proper security measures had been taken.

As for the op, try contacting your bank or Samsung.

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
I think this is a common misconception.

Any mobile phone is potentially insecure as it has a near constant connection to the internet and can therefore be exploited.

Samsung Pay as a payment method is not insecure as it uses tokens rather than the actual card details so even if it is read by external devices or malware the information expires.

And yeah I've spoken to both bank and Samsung and it's basically "watch this space" with no definitive time scale. I obvs have no choice but to wait until it's ready just wish it was sooner rather than later.

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys

I've heard rumours that Samsung Pay is due for release on 16-05-17 but the Twitter account won't confirm. Anyone heard anything about this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton