Samsung Removing Gesture Options

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used gesture hints the entire time I've had my S22 Ultra, so I'm not going to notice any difference. However, I think the choice should be there for people who like it.
We are the ones who will notice the difference, because they are making the bar mandatory not taking it away. It's definitely at Google's behest.. My thought has always been if I am using the gesture hints bar I may as well just be using three button navigation.

Hopefully, it will be added to good lock

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I love Gestures, once you get used to it. it does suck when I try and use my wife's phone tho.... she uses the navigation buttons
Same here. I'll be swiping and realize damn it's not doing anything. More amusing watching her try to use mine without the buttons and just freeze up and get frustrated lol

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've found that some applications don't support/work with gestures. For example, trying to go back to an applications main screen. The only way I've found in those cases is to force quit, and then open the app again so I can get to the main screen.

This experience has been with various Pixel phones, and perhaps I've been doing it wrong all along or not realizing a back button gesture is available for the app.

All that said, I've used navigation buttons for years with Samsung phones, so the gesture option removal won't be a factor if I upgrade to the S24 Ultra from my S22 Ultra.

Reactions: 1raygin

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Gestures aren't entirely going away from what I see, but I can't say I understand why they'd feel a need to remove any of the options. Saw more issues from one vs the other? I was always a side swiper (ha) so it looks like it'll be what I'm used to.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Gestures aren't entirely going away from what I see, but I can't say I understand why they'd feel a need to remove any of the options. Saw more issues from one vs the other? I was always a side swiper (ha) so it looks like it'll be what I'm used to.
My guess is that it has to do with the engineering of Googles new Circle to Search feature.

Since you have to press the home button to activate & if it's hidden or you're using the middle swipe home gesture, that could interfere with the mechanics of the function. They want to flaunt their new tech.

I'll have to learn how to side swipe.
😄

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I used gestures a couple of years ago. They were OK once I learned them. However, they were always a little flaky and inconsistent unless you did everything exactly right. Switched back to buttons and boy it was like a breath of fresh air...never looked back!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that it has to do with the engineering of Googles new Circle to Search feature.

Since you have to press the home button to activate & if it's hidden or you're using the middle swipe home gesture, that could interfere with the mechanics of the function. They want to flaunt their new tech.

I'll have to learn how to side swipe.
Yeah, pretty sure that's the reason. If you got used to the Samsung gestures it shouldn't be difficult to adapt to the Google ones. They are easier to use with one hand,but not very intuitive.

I'm wondering how button users will summon the regular assistant. As far as I know, that's the same long press of the home button.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, pretty sure that's the reason. If you got used to the Samsung gestures it shouldn't be difficult to adapt to the Google ones. They are easier to use with one hand,but not very intuitive.

I'm wondering how button users will summon the regular assistant. As far as I know, that's the same long press of the home button.
I was wondering the same thing. 🤔

Reactions: J Dubbs

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Well... technically nothing is intuitive, we all had to learn android or iPhone gestures at one point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garthS153