Samsung rep admits they are trying to rip me off

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I understand they going charge tax on a item and it will be different for each state but what I'm not liking is some get taxed on retail price and others get taxed discount price doesn't seem fair to some .

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I understand they going charge tax on a item and it will be different for each state but what I'm not liking is some get taxed on retail price and others get taxed discount price doesn't seem fair to some .
Lol, life isn't fare. In Iowa I have to pay state income tax, hour away in South Dakota they do not have state income tax. I do not like that.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's one reason why we see articles about best and worst states to live in. The reviewers use taxes as one criterion.

13Flossy

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site
Well look up the state tax law in your state, give it to Samsung and see what they say, but their reps are clueless so good luck lol. . That is one of your options. As you see, numerous times every state is different, maybe Samsung's system screwed up and overcharged. Get the state tax law and present it to Samsung.

My state just charges tax on the amount of purchase, not retail, but that's not the case in every state.
I can definitely vouch for their reps are clueless. Every single one of them say the same thing. And they're all super kind. But they never fix anything, they screw you royally. it's insane! Just my opinion! 2 brand new phones I've bought now and I've had nothing but hell with them. I'll never do it again! I'll go back to my second hand phones. They always worked way better .... already had all the kinks worked out!

Last edited:

Linda McDonald

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh come on. This isn't an admission of anything. The rep was simply unfamiliar with the slang phrase "ripped off". And their job was to say whatever would make you go away quickly so they can move on to the next customer.

And the rep is correct that Samsung doesn't set the tax policy. The rules may be different for car sales, but for consumer electronics, most states require tax collection on the full price of the device; the trade-in is considered a separate transaction. All companies do it that way, not just Samsung. Why would they even want to overcharge you on the tax when it just gets passed along to the state government?

Obviously, the rep is unfamiliar with THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE! 🤣

Linda McDonald

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
You won't get a argument from me at how bad their reps are. Samsung has the worst customer service out there, SiriusXm giving them a run for their ranking. I would almost rather pay the $250 deducible for an insurance claim then deal with Samsung customer service.

SiriusXm... I'm going to have an aneurysm!!!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
SiriusXm... I'm going to have an aneurysm!!!

Never had a problem with SiriusXM... Got my free/discounted subscription back when my car was new and every year I'd call before by subscription was up for renewal at regular rate to cancel and they'd offer me the $99 rate again to keep me for another year and repeat time 7-8 years lol.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Never had a problem with SiriusXM... Got my free/discounted subscription back when my car was new and every year I'd call before by subscription was up for renewal at regular rate to cancel and they'd offer me the $99 rate again to keep me for another year and repeat time 7-8 years lol.
That's because you were doing something that is allowed to save a customer. If it's in their script it's good. Heck, last time I didn't have to talk to anyone to get the $99 special, I selected cancel in prompts and it gave me that offer right away, just had to push 1 to accept offer. Now when you get outside the script is when the fun starts.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a thread that developed so quickly - 23h old, and already at 55 posts. :)

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Resolved. Got a Samsung rep that was able to work it out. Couldn't do anything about the generated tax, but knocked enough off the phone price to make up for it. Where I really got traction was the actual problem with their system, that the don't allow for more than a 5 digit zipcode. To get our 2% lower "out of town" rate, we need to enter a 9 digit zip.

S22U 512gb unlocked on order.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Resolved. Got a Samsung rep that was able to work it out. Couldn't do anything about the generated tax, but knocked enough off the phone price to make up for it. Where I really got traction was the actual problem with their system, that the don't allow for more than a 5 digit zipcode. To get our 2% lower "out of town" rate, we need to enter a 9 digit zip.

S22U 512gb unlocked on order.
well at least now you know the first rep was telling the truth, there's nothing he could do about the tax, he just didn't want to approach it from another direction as this rep did. Enjoy your new phone, you will probably like it

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
You're right, he was correct when he said they were ripping me off. Hopefully they will fix their programs to accept a 9 digit zip someday.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You're right, he was correct when he said they were ripping me off. Hopefully they will fix their programs to accept a 9 digit zip someday.

When said "they" were ripping you off... he meant... your state of Arkansas right?

Cause, again Samsung can't do anything directly about the taxes imposed... they can't just say "We think the taxes we are required to charge are unfair and will not charge any person from Arkansas this much tax."

Credit is something they can do on a case by case basis and write it off as something else like CS or something... basically if you know how to escalate a call to get to that point so good for you. Got a supervisor in a good mood. ;)

But to keep saying they (Samsung) were ripping you off when they are just following the tax rules for your state...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE