Samsung S23 User. Captive Portal is not working at all at wifi hotspot

Kulbiln

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
I am currently at St Mike's Hospital in Toronto and when trying to get on the guest wifi (SMH_Guest), I am unable to get the guest login page to load and get a blank screen in it's place.

My friend who I am with has no issues logging in. Also last month when I came to this hospital with a Samsung S21 Ultra, I had no issues getting on the wifi. For whatever reason, it won't work on my S23 Ultra.

I have tried almost every method I looked up online...

-Reboot -Safe mode
-Network setting reset
-Entering the IP Address in my browser
-Entering the DNS in my browser
-Downloading Firefox and making that my default browser
-Uninstalling Google App updates
-Repeatedly trying to sign in
-Clearing the cache/cookies/history
-Resetting my browser
-Updating my OS
-Disabling Private DNS
-Logging in network as is then forcing open the login prompt by using the network's gateway IP or an http website.

Anyone have other suggestions or tips for help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you determine the actual URL of the captive portal site, using your friend's phone to guide you? If so, then try entering that URL directly into the browser, and see if that comes up.

You mentioned disabling private DNS -- do you mean you went to the Chrome settings>Privacy & Security>Use Secure DNS, and made sure it's set to "Use your current service provider"? If you choose something else like Google or Cloudflare, that can interfere with these kinds of public wi-fi networks.

Kulbiln

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you determine the actual URL of the captive portal site, using your friend's phone to guide you? If so, then try entering that URL directly into the browser, and see if that comes up.

You mentioned disabling private DNS -- do you mean you went to the Chrome settings>Privacy & Security>Use Secure DNS, and made sure it's set to "Use your current service provider"? If you choose something else like Google or Cloudflare, that can interfere with these kinds of public wi-fi networks.

I've tried entering the exact url from the captive portal and instead I get met with a timed out error
net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Correct. I used the default current service provider as well as google's. Both don't seem to work regarding loading the captive portal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol