Samsung Ships Galaxy S22 Series With Google Messages In The US

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I was playing with an s22u in best buy today. Google Messages is on the home screen but Samsung Messages is also preloaded. It's just in the Samsung folder

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What bloat do you mean?

The bloat I mentioned in my comment.

There is a Samsung app called "messages" and a Google app called "messages" that sit next to eachother looking ridiculous.

I look forward to having people explain to me how having two system apps that do the same thing and have the same name isn't bloat.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Same here, it connects flawlessly with the YOUR PHONE app on my laptops. However, never tried the Samsung app to see if it would connect too.

So, does anyone here use the Samsung messaging app and connect their messages, via the YOUR PHONE app, to their PCs?[/QUOTE @RETG: may I ask what the YOUR PHONE app is please? Where would I find it to download please?

I'm unaware of this app you're talking about. Is it an app for pc's? Which company made this app please? Thanks.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Same here, it connects flawlessly with the YOUR PHONE app on my laptops. However, never tried the Samsung app to see if it would connect too.

So, does anyone here use the Samsung messaging app and connect their messages, via the YOUR PHONE app, to their PCs?

I've used both Samsung and Google messages and they both sync to my "Your Phone" app without any issues.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Does Samsung messages sync well to my phone?

For years, I've been using the Google pc app called messages and it works very well in general, some hiccups once in a while.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The bloat I mentioned in my comment.

There is a Samsung app called "messages" and a Google app called "messages" that sit next to eachother looking ridiculous.

I look forward to having people explain to me how having two system apps that do the same thing and have the same name isn't bloat.

So then the Google Messages app is the bloat.

The Galaxy S22 phones are Samsung phones, they want their apps on the phone, but Google forces OEM's to include Google Apps, which can double up on Samsung's apps. So Gmail, Chrome, Messages etc are all the bloat apps on a Samsung phone. Just as of Samsung Messages, Samsung web browser etc, were pre-installed on a Pixel phone, we'd consider that bloat.

Would be nice if Google didn't force OEM's to pre-install Google apps on the phones so OEM's could have whatever apps they want without double ups. The Google Messages app shouldn't be on the phone - it should be Samsung Messages.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

The Galaxy S22 phones are Samsung phones, they want their apps on the phone, but Google forces OEM's to include Google Apps, which can double up on Samsung's apps. So Gmail, Chrome, Messages etc are all the bloat apps on a Samsung phone. Just as of Samsung Messages, Samsung web browser etc, were pre-installed on a Pixel phone, we'd consider that bloat.

Would be nice if Google didn't force OEM's to pre-install Google apps on the phones so OEM's could have whatever apps they want without double ups. The Google Messages app shouldn't be on the phone - it should be Samsung Messages.

Google don't force anyone to install Messages, Samsung CHOOSES to install both. They CHOOSE to include bloat.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Google don't force anyone to install Messages, Samsung CHOOSES to install both. They CHOOSE to include bloat.

I'm sure Google has a forceful hand in Messages being the default messaging app. And Google have agreements with OEM's with the mobile services agreements where every android phone has to be preloaded with Google's apps. They overlap with Samsung's apps, so the Google apps are the bloat here. Not the other way around.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure Google has a forceful hand in Messages being the default messaging app. And Google have agreements with OEM's with the mobile services agreements where every android phone has to be preloaded with Google's apps. They overlap with Samsung's apps, so the Google apps are the bloat here. Not the other way around.

I'm pretty sure I recall reading a year ago that Samsung made the decision to use Google Messages as the default message app, and then Google had also designed a Samsung version of their messages app to mimic the Samsung aesthetics. That is, this was all Samsung's decision. Google never implemented any "default" messaging app - and has allowed users to define their own default messaging app. If you ask me, though - they probably should have long ago.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
RCS is available on Samsung messages as well. In the past I've used Textra as an alternative. I'm not sure if RCS is on it or not. Textra has a ton of features and theming. I agree that Google messages is just boring to use and look at. If I want to keep track of a conversation, it's easy enough to pin it. Just long press on conversation and select pin.

Before I moved to Google Messages, RCS was available on Samsung messages to the extent that your carrier supported it. It might be different now, but in the beginning, Samsung messages were not using google servers for RCS.

I used to use Textra. It was my favorite. However, it doesn't have RCS. No other messaging apps have RCS support because Google has not made the RCS api available to third party developers, so they can't support it even though they would love to.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I understand what you're saying. I actually use: Samsung Messages, Samsung Email, Samsung Calendar, Samsung browser. I've found that I like these apps better than the Google apps.

I don't mind having the Google apps available, since they are easily disabled and don't take up too much storage space.

I'd be disappointed, though, if Samsung apps were no longer available, since that's part of the experience of having a Samsung phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I understand what you're saying. I actually use: Samsung Messages, Samsung Email, Samsung Calendar, Samsung browser. I've found that I like these apps better than the Google apps.

I don't mind having the Google apps available, since they are easily disabled and don't take up too much storage space.

I'd be disappointed, though, if Samsung apps were no longer available, since that's part of the experience of having a Samsung phone.
I use both myself and be upset if Samsung didn't offer their version

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I use Microsoft apps for work/personal stuff, so the Gmail, Drive etc are all bloat to me.

Ideally, Google would let OEM's install whatever apps they want on the phone. So if Samsung want Samsung Messages, Browser, Email, Clock, Cloud Storage, whatever, then they would release the phone with those apps as the default apps. If a user wants Gmail, Drive etc, they're more than welcome to download it themselves on the Play Store.

I find it funny that a phone that would come with pre-installed Microsoft apps would be considered 'bloat', but pre-installed with Google's apps isn't considered bloat, even if the user would use the Microsoft apps rather than the Google ones.

I don't know if the S22 line has Samsung's messages app (which is far more customisable than Google Messages). I don't even know why Samsung are going to have Google Messages as the default messaging app. Samsung Messages has RCS, so it should theoretically work with any other RCS-capable messaging client? If that's the case then why have Google Messages as the default?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use Microsoft apps for work/personal stuff, so the Gmail, Drive etc are all bloat to me.

Ideally, Google would let OEM's install whatever apps they want on the phone. So if Samsung want Samsung Messages, Browser, Email, Clock, Cloud Storage, whatever, then they would release the phone with those apps as the default apps. If a user wants Gmail, Drive etc, they're more than welcome to download it themselves on the Play Store.

I find it funny that a phone that would come with pre-installed Microsoft apps would be considered 'bloat', but pre-installed with Google's apps isn't considered bloat, even if the user would use the Microsoft apps rather than the Google ones.

I don't know if the S22 line has Samsung's messages app (which is far more customisable than Google Messages). I don't even know why Samsung are going to have Google Messages as the default messaging app. Samsung Messages has RCS, so it should theoretically work with any other RCS-capable messaging client? If that's the case then why have Google Messages as the default?
Not in the US, carriers had their own RCS which didn't work with others and google now made it standard with their rcs message app to be compatible with everyone, also the US unlocked version Samsung message app doesn't have RCS which was dumb only one was Sprint but that probably gone away since they merged with TMobile

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

That's very well said! :) :)

I started with Samsung's phones & apps when I left the world of Blackberry. The Samsung apps all work well together, look uniform with the UI & I enjoy them.

I don't have a problem with the Google apps, I'm just comfortable with the Samsung side.

I thought about trying Google Messages, but as I mentioned before, most of my texting is to iPhone users. The RCS isn't going to be that beneficial to me.

It's good to have choices...
:)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Not in the US, carriers had their own RCS which didn't work with others and google now made it standard with their rcs message app to be compatible with everyone, also the US unlocked version Samsung message app doesn't have RCS which was dumb only one was Sprint but that probably gone away since they merged with TMobile

I see. What a mess, lol.

Doesn't bother me. I end up using WhatsApp mostly now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress