Samsung TAB A not connecting to wireless printer

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello everyone, I am hoping I have come to the right place for help with a TAB A tablet!

Both my wife and I have SM-T550 Tab A's and have for sometime been able to print documents on a wireless Canon MG 3660 printer without a problem. We are now having big problems because NEITHER tablet will 'see' the printer.

This problem has happened before with both tablets and somehow I have been able to correct the problem. However the problem has resurfaced again and I have tried everything to fix it without success.

I have downloaded these apps:
Canon print Service 2.8.0.1,
Mobile print 4.08.030,
PRINT (from Canon) 2.7.1.1,
Samsung Print Service Plugin 3.06.200921

I have tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them without success, and have tried deleting the data/cache and simply do not know where to go from here. I am mot really tech savvy!

The printer connects with a desktop PC and 2 Windows 10 laptops so it seems there is no problem with the wireless connectivity.

I have been to a Samsung service desk at our local shopping center where they have always been very helpful but they cannot help in this instance. Similarly the phone support people have been unable to assist.

Any ideas please? I really want to be able to print as the tablets are so much easier to use the the desktop or laptops!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

rogerbid

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello B Diddy and Mustang,

Thank you so much for replying to my question. I hadn't realized I had received any replies, I have now seen the checkbox to subscribe to the thread :) so will probably see if another reply comes in.

If the Google Cloud Print is ending at the end of the year I will try this suggestion as a last resort, and in the meantime I will try the other suggestions. As I am not used to trouble shooting it will take me a little while work through them so but will write again when I have done what I can!

However, B Diddy, before I "try the Reset Network Settings option" can you tell me if I need to backup anything before i do this? I don't have a lot of photos and documents etc but would not want to lose those I have! If you see this and can reply before I do try this I will be very grateful, Thanks

Beast wishes, Roger

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello B Diddy and Mustang,

Thank you so much for replying to my question. I hadn't realized I had received any replies, I have now seen the checkbox to subscribe to the thread :) so will probably see if another reply comes in.

If the Google Cloud Print is ending at the end of the year I will try this suggestion as a last resort, and in the meantime I will try the other suggestions. As I am not used to trouble shooting it will take me a little while work through them so but will write again when I have done what I can!

However, B Diddy, before I "try the Reset Network Settings option" can you tell me if I need to backup anything before i do this? I don't have a lot of photos and documents etc but would not want to lose those I have! If you see this and can reply before I do try this I will be very grateful, Thanks

Beast wishes, Roger
Hi, welcome to AC!

Reset network only reset WiFi password/network/bluetooth

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What mustang7757 said.:) It means you'll have to reconnect your wi-fi network and Bluetooth devices (so make sure you know your wi-fi network password).

rogerbid

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Thank you again for the super quick replies! Since my earlier post I have found clear instructions on how to reset the network, start in safe mode, and clear the system cache partition and having found my WiFi password I am feeling confident!

I will follow these instructions later and report back when I know the outcome. Thank you very much again,

Roger

PS Re 'not sure what you meant by "deleting the data/cache' - I meant I had cleared the data in Apps storage, I will try to attach a screenshot to illustrate!

Attachments

• Snip-it_1596493372557.jpg
    Snip-it_1596493372557.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 2

rogerbid

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello once again,

SUCCESS! Thank you very much. Starting my tablet in Safe mode I was immediately able to print a test MS Word document! After turning off Safe Mode the print operation worked perfectly. Thank you!

I then followed the same routine with my wife's identical tablet and though it would not print in Safe mode, after restarting the tablet the print function worked well, excellent outcome :):)

I do have another follow up question though. Is it advisable to wipe the system cache partition from time to time as a routine housekeeping exercise? It seems a good idea but I would like your comments.

Incidentally, when I went to print the test document a window I have not seen before popped up to the effect that the Canon printer could not accept encrypted documents. This was the case with both tablets. Can you explain what this is all about?

I am very grateful for your help, and wish you well while we all live with COVID19. With very best wishes,

Roger B

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's great! Unfortunately, it's hard to say if the culprit was in fact some 3rd party app that you had installed, or if it was just the simple matter of rebooting the tablets that allowed it to start working. Let us know if the problem returns.

Wiping the system cache partition is something I usually recommend only if a device is acting up. If it's working normally and smoothly, there's no need to do it (although there's no harm in doing it either)

Not sure about the notification about encrypted documents. It's presumably a limitation of whatever print service you're using, but I can't tell if you're using the Canon print service or the native Android print service.

rogerbid

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello, sorry I am back again!

Firstly, thank you for your replies regarding the merits of wiping the system cache partition. I will keep this in mind, thanks.

Now, today I have been trialing the print function on my wife's tablet, with mixed success. I have finally got to the stage where it will print a Word .doc with no worries at all, a great result. However, my wife gets our utility bills, by email, and I have been attempting to print a PDF invoice. Somehow I have changed the way a PDF file opens by default - it goes straight into a print preview screen. This is great if the intention is to print the document as I can achieve this now without a problem.

So what's the problem you ask! In an ideal world, I would like to have the tablet open a PDF file initially in a PDF viewer, and then if necessary click on a Print tab to start the print process. Somehow I have changed the default way a PDF file opens (on my tablet a PDF file opens as it always used to) and I don't know how to reverse the change I have made.

Can you suggest a solution please? I do not recall downloading a PDF viewer and cannot see anything in the list of Apps that seems to be a viewer. Sorry to bother you with another question!

Thanks,

Roger

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not knowing the exact app that's opening the PDF into that print preview screen, the next best solution would be to go to Settings>Apps, then tap Menu>Reset All App Preferences. (Keep in mind that this will also re-enable any preinstalled apps you might have disabled.)

After resetting app preferences, see what happens when you try to open a PDF -- what options does it give you?

rogerbid

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi, thank you again for the quick reply.

My wife has chosen to live with things as they are rather than make changes to the other apps on her tablet. After all, since the print function does work this is the main thing. I am more than happy with that!

Incidentally, she has received another bill today and when she tried to print it the pdf opened as usual. Perhaps the document yesterday opened in the print preview simply because the print command had been activated? Whatever, I am more than happy with the situation and thank you again for your help.

Best wishes,

Roger

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, thank you again for the quick reply.

My wife has chosen to live with things as they are rather than make changes to the other apps on her tablet. After all, since the print function does work this is the main thing. I am more than happy with that!

Incidentally, she has received another bill today and when she tried to print it the pdf opened as usual. Perhaps the document yesterday opened in the print preview simply because the print command had been activated? Whatever, I am more than happy with the situation and thank you again for your help.

Best wishes,

Roger
I'm happy to hear that !