Scratch proof screen..

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
well, seeing as how i live literally 8 blocks from the pacific ocean and surf 3-5 times a week i would say it will happen more often then not. But, gorilla glass or not, my screen will end up with small scratches if i continuously present it in an environment where it is subjected to sand. That goes for gorilla glass as well, which was my previous phone.

Screen protector, sand scratches for sure

stdeane

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think they are using keys because that's the most likely thing you would have in your pocket (besides sand). Most people don't carry razor blades around in their pocket.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I think they are using keys because that's the most likely thing you would have in your pocket (besides sand). Most people don't carry razor blades around in their pocket.

You mean not everyone is on a suicide watch?

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

That's true, but keys aren't hard enough to scratch glass. I have heard that key rings on the other hand are much harder and DO scratch screens. What I would like to see is sprinkling some sand on it, maybe dropping the phone in some dirt, and rubbing the screen. That is probably where 90% of scratches come from.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Even if you do not subject it to that sort of environment...a miniscule piece of sand can be in the wind. You could accidently swipe to unlock your device and its under your finger.

Scratch heaven. Can it not happen? Sure. Is it likely to happen? Very.

My point at the end of the day is, its still better to have a screen protector. Beats cleaning the screen and hands every single time you use the device.

Face unlock...ZING!

edit: yes i agree screen protectors are nice, though i have never found a good one that doesn't slide/bubble, mess up viewing angles, give more glare etc.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you go outside? Or do you wear white gloves and stay in a sterile room? Because...dirt contains sand. Wind blows dust. Get the idea?

I am always very careful with my devices. So no worries here. I work in an office enviornment so it's
all good. Now if I worked mainly outdoors or did a great deal of physical labor. Then definitely.
For instance when my g/f said she wanted to go to the beach more, screen protector.
I like the feel of naked glas. I do however use a silicone case always on my phone

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
edit: yes i agree screen protectors are nice, though i have never found a good one that doesn't slide/bubble, mess up viewing angles, give more glare etc.

I actually bought the standard Verizon branded protectors for the Incredible. I think it was 3 for $15 or something and they were surprisingly good. They took some damage themselves and didn't last that long, but they felt fine and didn't cause any glare or anything. My only complaint was that they didn't cover the bezels on the phone. Still, no screen protector for me. I do have a lot of small scratches all over my screen but they are miniscule and I like the feel of glass too much.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I am always very careful with my devices. So no worries here. I work in an office enviornment so it's
all good. Now if I worked mainly outdoors or did a great deal of physical labor. Then definitely.
For instance when my g/f said she wanted to go to the beach more, screen protector.
I like the feel of naked glas. I do however use a silicone case always on my phone

Hate to say it, but it rarely matters how careful you are. For the first few months of having my Incredible I was very careful with it. Nothing too extreme, but I always made sure I knew where my phone was and it wasn't going to be damaged. After I had a few scratches on it I accepted that it wouldn't stay perfect forever and now I treat it like my old flip phone.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Hate to say it, but it rarely matters how careful you are.

Yup. I had a fascinate with no screen protector and one of those case/holster combos. Never put in a pocket, never dropped and still ended up with hairline scratches on the screen. Not sure if it was maybe dirt or something that got it when sliding it into the holster or something on the screen while trying to wipe off fingerprints. Who knows. With the Thunderbolt, I have one of the 2 piece silicone/hard plastic cases with a screen protector and it's nice to just not have to worry.

Last edited:

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've tried screen protectors and rubberized plastic cases on my Fascinate, and hated both.

It's kind of like buying nice furniture and covering it with blanket-patterned slip covers. Not acceptable, IMO...

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Hm, well the keys were a good test. I hardly ever walk around with 60grit in my pocket, LOL

Yeah, I usually carry at least 150 grit...

But the point is that keys are lower than glass in terms of scratch hardness, so they will not scratch glass. Sand is harder though, so having a few grains of sand in your pocket or on a table can scratch the screen. I always carry my phone in its own pocket but it still manages to get scratched.

solido888

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
How about that one tiny grain of sand that ends up in your pocket? It happens, unless you are a computer geek working in a sterile environment.

Tiny grain of sand > Galaxy Nexus screen.

I know you used to have a Fascinate, as I have benefited from some of your work on that platform. Thank you for that btw.

Are you implying the GN screen will be more vulnerable to scratching then the Fascinates? Because if it matches my Fascinates scratch resistance I will be thrilled.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I had the OG Droid Naked for two year - not a scratch.

I've had the Bionic since it came out - no scratches.

I live across the street from the Intracoastal in Fort Lauderdale and can see the beach. We always have lived blocks away from the beach here.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Droid 1: Never scratched
Droid Incredible: scratched
Fascinate: scratched
Continuum: scratched
Thunderbolt: scratched on dev device, was smart enough for screen protector on main device.
Incredible 2: scratched

Guess which ones didn't have Gorilla Glass? I babied these devices, btw.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Droid 1: Never scratched
Droid Incredible: scratched
Fascinate: scratched
Continuum: scratched
Thunderbolt: scratched on dev device, was smart enough for screen protector on main device.
Incredible 2: scratched

Guess which ones didn't have Gorilla Glass? I babied these devices, btw.

DInc does have GG just so you know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny