Screen burn in, six days in!

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Been doing some Googling and it looks like there are others with this problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyWatc...re_is_a_thing_extreme_burn_in_on_gw4_classic/

I'm at least thankful that it's hard to find people talking about this, which means that most units are probably OK. And since I'm purchasing through T-Mobile this time and returning the Samsung watch, if I get unlucky a second time I'll at least have a physical store to go complain to.

I wonder if anyone else having this issue also has the LTE version? Could just be a bad batch of displays, but perhaps they used a specific stock for the LTE.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if anyone else having this issue also has the LTE version? Could just be a bad batch of displays, but perhaps they used a specific stock for the LTE.

Mine is LTE. Had to switch the watch face so it's not noticable.

Attachments

• 78423.jpg
    78423.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 71

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I do use AOD, and my brightness is set to 6 (with auto brightness enabled)

:(

Now that you mention it, I haven't touched any brightness settings since I got this watch. It seems to do a really nice job with the default settings and auto brightness enabled (which I believe was default). When I pull down the shade for settings, my brightness icon is just subdued, so I don't even know if it's set to anything?

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
So when I ordered my new watch at T-Mobile, they told me it would arrive on Thursday the 9th. Looks like it'll be here two days early, right after Labor Day. I'll let you guys know right away if the screen burn in issue is present in my new device. Hopefully I was just unlucky and it's not a larger scale manufacturing defect.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
In case anyone was wondering if this issue would to away, it has sadly not. Could just be my perception but it seems to have gotten WORSE. To the others who are seeing this too, I'd recommend doing a return or exchange before the return window is up.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
In case anyone was wondering if this issue would to away, it has sadly not. Could just be my perception but it seems to have gotten WORSE. To the others who are seeing this too, I'd recommend doing a return or exchange before the return window is up.

Is this with your replacement?

mr neutron

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Respectfully, may I ask:

Why does one need to use AOD? Seems that if you are not looking at the watch, there is no discernible reason for the watch face to be on. The Raise Wrist To Wake function appears to work perfectly, turning on the watch face when one needs to look at it. This would negate the “burn in” effect, yes?
Would appreciate an honest and reasonable answer to learn of the need for AOD.
Thank you

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Respectfully, may I ask:

Why does one need to use AOD? Seems that if you are not looking at the watch, there is no discernible reason for the watch face to be on. The Raise Wrist To Wake function appears to work perfectly, turning on the watch face when one needs to look at it. This would negate the “burn in” effect, yes?
Would appreciate an honest and reasonable answer to learn of the need for AOD.
Thank you

No offense taken. AOD makes the watch resemble a traditional "dumb" watch and this alone is a selling point for me. Aside from the minor aesthetic appeal of AOD, I find there's a functional reason to use it too. I spend a lot of my day sitting at a desk, and when my wrist is resting on an armrest, it's convenient to be able to glance over and see the time without raising it. There are numerous other times when I'm in such a position, and it affords some convenience here.

Yes, not using AOD would negate the temporary burn in. But no previous Galaxy Watch has had this problem. Nor do most GW4s people here have bought. So it's a real defect with the hardware, and a good reason to exchange.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
No offense taken. AOD makes the watch resemble a traditional "dumb" watch and this alone is a selling point for me. Aside from the minor aesthetic appeal of AOD, I find there's a functional reason to use it too. I spend a lot of my day sitting at a desk, and when my wrist is resting on an armrest, it's convenient to be able to glance over and see the time without raising it. There are numerous other times when I'm in such a position, and it affords some convenience here.

Yes, not using AOD would negate the temporary burn in. But no previous Galaxy Watch has had this problem. Nor do most GW4s people here have bought. So it's a real defect with the hardware, and a good reason to exchange.

Exactly, it's a $400 device and if I want to do something as simple as use AOD, it damn well should be capable of doing it without fear of damaging the display.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
No screen is exempt from burn in under more extreme circumstances.

However, I don't believe settings and features should be available or promised if it can easily harm your device. Especially smaller $400 devices..

I still have a hunch that Auto Brightness could be the main culprit. In outdoor or bright Office settings the Watch is going to crank up the brightness to make it viewable. Pair that with a bright white watchface & AOD.

Just a thought! I hope it was just a defective display and that you can enjoy your Watch after all!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
No no! This is the original watch. Replacement arrives tomorrow. Really hoping I get a functional display this time.

Thank you for keeping us apprised of your situation! Let us know when your new watch comes, and hopefully you don't get more screen burn-in!

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
No screen is exempt from burn in under more extreme circumstances.

However, I don't believe settings and features should be available or promised if it can easily harm your device. Especially smaller $400 devices..

I still have a hunch that Auto Brightness could be the main culprit. In outdoor or bright Office settings the Watch is going to crank up the brightness to make it viewable. Pair that with a bright white watchface & AOD.

Just a thought! I hope it was just a defective display and that you can enjoy your Watch after all!

I saw someone comment on Reddit that the issue could be related to the processor or something like that in which it was image retention but not burn in.

I'm wondering if those with suspected burn in would do a hard reset on the device to see if that cleared it up? Hopefully that would suggest the issue could be corrected with software updates rather than an actual display issue.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I saw someone comment on Reddit that the issue could be related to the processor or something like that in which it was image retention but not burn in.

I'm wondering if those with suspected burn in would do a hard reset on the device to see if that cleared it up? Hopefully that would suggest the issue could be corrected with software updates rather than an actual display issue.

Interesting. My new watch is coming today, but if I'd read this a couple days ago I'd have definitely tried a hard reset.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I got my new watch this afternoon. Spent a bunch of time setting it up so I'm not sure how long I've had the AOD on with the watch face, but I'm going to use the same watch face for a full day tomorrow to see what happens. So far I see no sign of burn in. Fingers crossed!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I got my new watch this afternoon. Spent a bunch of time setting it up so I'm not sure how long I've had the AOD on with the watch face, but I'm going to use the same watch face for a full day tomorrow to see what happens. So far I see no sign of burn in. Fingers crossed!

Good Luck! Hope everything is ok with this one.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
OK it's only the afternoon so perhaps too early to declare victory (though maybe not, since the burn-in on my old watch would occur within an hour of AOD usage). That said, I've been using AOD all day and I do not notice any burn in whatsoever. So far so good!

Nov 26, 2021
Visit site
Hi Arunma, I am planning to buy Watch4Classic....Your replacement watch got any issues so far ? Can I proceed with the purchase ? If your watch still got burn it issues, then its a hardware problem. Can't have any other solution. I own Samsung S7 Edge and Note20Ultra. S7 Edge, after 2 years of usage, I got burn in issues...till now its not gone. And Note20Ultra, I have for almost 1.2 years. I have so issues with it so far. And I haven't heard of burn in issues for Galaxy watches until Galaxy Watch 4 series.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Arunma, I am planning to buy Watch4Classic....Your replacement watch got any issues so far ? Can I proceed with the purchase ? If your watch still got burn it issues, then its a hardware problem. Can't have any other solution. I own Samsung S7 Edge and Note20Ultra. S7 Edge, after 2 years of usage, I got burn in issues...till now its not gone. And Note20Ultra, I have for almost 1.2 years. I have so issues with it so far. And I haven't heard of burn in issues for Galaxy watches until Galaxy Watch 4 series.

Sorry for the late reply. I've had my replacement watch for months now and no screen burn in! Looks like the original watch I received was just defective.