Screen Color Changes?

logan2k

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I just upgraded from the OG Droid Incredible to the Razr Maxx. I really wanted to get the Galaxy Nexus, but weighing the pros and cons, it was hard to choose the GNex over the Maxx.

While all the reviews rave about the GNex screen, in the store, I actually preferred the screen on the Maxx over the GNex. This was mainly due to the cooler nature of the screen. Whites were white on the Maxx and yellow on the GNex. The difference in screen resolution was negligible to me...

When I brought my Maxx home, I was initially pleased with the screen. After a while though, I noticed an odd and annoying behavior where a slight change in viewing angle causes the screen color to change significantly, where the normal viewing angle is more warmer (yellow whites) and slightly off angle is cooler. The screen color doesn't change no matter what angle I view my Incredible, so this is what I am comparing to.

I'm wondering if the Maxx in the store was just at the right angle on the display to appear cooler, or if I might have a defective unit. Anyone else notice this change in color on their Maxx?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Lots of displays shift color. My Maxx goes a little green, but unless I was looking for it I wouldn't really notice it. I see it on skin tones. It's way better than, say, Acer Iconia tabs, which go black and metallic when you turn them away a bit.

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've never noticed mine doing that. I do agree the nexus has a better screen but the phone was horrible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: carracerz14

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When I brought my Maxx home, I was initially pleased with the screen. After a while though, I noticed an odd and annoying behavior where a slight change in viewing angle causes the screen color to change significantly, where the normal viewing angle is more warmer (yellow whites) and slightly off angle is cooler. The screen color doesn't change no matter what angle I view my Incredible, so this is what I am comparing to.

I'm wondering if the Maxx in the store was just at the right angle on the display to appear cooler, or if I might have a defective unit. Anyone else notice this change in color on their Maxx?

When reviewers talk about a screen's viewing angle, this is what they're referring to. The Maxx is supposed to have a very wide viewing angle, which is to say that you shouldn't notice any significant change in display quality even when looking at the screen almost from the side. You didn't put a screen protector on, did you? Those can sometimes mess up the viewing angle.

logan2k

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
When reviewers talk about a screen's viewing angle, this is what they're referring to. The Maxx is supposed to have a very wide viewing angle, which is to say that you shouldn't notice any significant change in display quality even when looking at the screen almost from the side. You didn't put a screen protector on, did you? Those can sometimes mess up the viewing angle.

The screen does have a wide viewing angle, but the issue is that there is a yellow tint to the screen in the normal viewing angle, but shifts to more blue when the screen in only slightly tilted in any other direction. Its a bit distracting at times and more noticeable in web browsing where most of the pages are (supposed to be) white.

I don't have a screen protector on mine so its definitely not that, but did see a number of posts on other forums that mention the exact same thing. I'm just not able to tell if this is on all or just some units. Other than this, I really like the device but concerned it will drive me nuts over the course of the next 2 years of my contract.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Color temperatures on phones are notoriously off. If you have a slight yellow tint to your whites, you should be happy as color is being more accurately displayed and color temperature is much closer to the standard 6500K. Most people looking at a properly calibrated monitor will think that whites have a yellow tint.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The screen does have a wide viewing angle, but the issue is that there is a yellow tint to the screen in the normal viewing angle, but shifts to more blue when the screen in only slightly tilted in any other direction. Its a bit distracting at times and more noticeable in web browsing where most of the pages are (supposed to be) white.

I can see what you're talking about now. Yes, it does happen with mine, too. I can tell when looking at the Android Central app, where the white background does turn a little bluish. It's pretty subtle to me, but I can see how it might bother some people.

logan2k

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I can see what you're talking about now. Yes, it does happen with mine, too. I can tell when looking at the Android Central app, where the white background does turn a little bluish. It's pretty subtle to me, but I can see how it might bother some people.

Thanks for checking/confirming. Unfortunately, this appears to be 'as designed'. I agree its pretty subtle but hard to ignore now that I know its there. Trying out an app called Screen Adjuster to see if I can get it to where its not so noticeable anymore. The screen on my Droid Incredible is near perfect, so its difficult to accept pay to upgrade and accept something of lesser quality...

logan2k

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Color temperatures on phones are notoriously off. If you have a slight yellow tint to your whites, you should be happy as color is being more accurately displayed and color temperature is much closer to the standard 6500K. Most people looking at a properly calibrated monitor will think that whites have a yellow tint.

I probably wouldn't mind the color temp if it remained uniform when viewing at different angles, but it only takes a degree or two to see the temperature shift from warm yellow to a cool blue.