Screen Not Responding?

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Just started having this issue myself. Had to turn my phone to the side on the right to use all of the keyboard now. it's like a line in the middle of screen stopped responding. Hard reset did nothing.
Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Just started having this issue myself. Had to turn my phone to the side on the right to use all of the keyboard now. it's like a line in the middle of screen stopped responding. Hard reset did nothing.
I have seen this on a couple of occassions in the last couple weeks. To me, seems like software, because in my cases, it was only one app (I forget which) that became unresponsive. If I switched to a different app, the same part of the screen was fine, switch back, it wasn't.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
So this is weird ...

On two occasions - once yesterday, once today, the same thing has happened. I was playing with my E3D, played some game, went "home" to open another, and it wouldn't let me click on it. I tried to swipe the screen to a different screen, and it wouldn't swipe. I turned the screen off, then back on and it WOULD let me unlock (swipe the ring up), but again, wouldn't let me click any apps or swipe to another screen. It WOULD let me click on the three launcher buttons (apps, phone, personalize), but nothing more.

It seems as if something is happening where the top portion of the screen stops responding. A reboot of the phone fixes it, no problem - but is anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas?

Same thing, when I over-do it in an app. Usually WeatherBug when I'm trying to zoom around the radar maps and I'm obviously freaking out the app. I just reboot, it doesn't take long, and it refreshes my phone.

cwilson617

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Call Sprint's tech support and they will guide you through a firmware reset. They have you do a battery pull while the phone is powered on before the procedure. A tech said it purges memory and settings, and likened it to rebooting windows. He indicated that depending on how much data you're moving and the state, of the network, Evo's get constipated requiring these measures.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It's either firmware or the touch interface itself since it's multiple applications. I can't even drag icons across middle of screen and the carousal stutters in moving.

whitehorse84

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
just happened to me. I tried to lock the phone and unlock it but none of that worked.

What I did was open up my browser by clicking on the bookmark link on my home screen (luckily it was on the bottom part of the screen).. go into portrait mode (entire screen worked then).. and then just went back to my home screen and things were fine.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine does it usually only after playing some game. Some games just freeze, and when I go back to the homescreen the screen is not responding. When I pull down the notification and kill the offending app that caused the freeze (usually Jenga), it goes back to normal.

I am blaming software here, hopefully we'll get a nice update sometime soon.

Ryan13b

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem.. Should I return it or wait for updates? This is my first android phone so I don't know if this can be fixed or not. Seems like quite a few people are having this issue tho.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I backed up all my data, and downloaded a backup app for my apps in case I have to replace my phone. Going to check with Sprint since it cropped up when I did a screen test too. Got their Total Equipment Protection so it should be possible.

I'd say if it's not continuous, or only happens in certain apps, wait for an update. I'm just not since it looks more like dead pixels in my case. I did have the interface go crazy this morning before I reset and found out a small section toward the bottom middle of the screen won't respond.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
It happens rarely...normally after loading an apk. however a lock/unlock or reboot has me back in business.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
So this is weird ...

On two occasions - once yesterday, once today, the same thing has happened. I was playing with my E3D, played some game, went "home" to open another, and it wouldn't let me click on it. I tried to swipe the screen to a different screen, and it wouldn't swipe. I turned the screen off, then back on and it WOULD let me unlock (swipe the ring up), but again, wouldn't let me click any apps or swipe to another screen. It WOULD let me click on the three launcher buttons (apps, phone, personalize), but nothing more.

It seems as if something is happening where the top portion of the screen stops responding. A reboot of the phone fixes it, no problem - but is anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas?

I've noticed this issue too but I was able to trace it back to the Facebook app. Sometimes my screen would become after I used it or after it popped up a notification. I removed it for a few days and didn't have the issue. Reinstalled it and it reappeared within hours. Deleted it for good a few days ago and all is well.

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
my screen becomes unresponsive alot and every so often the keyboard types incoherent sh!t.....sometimes even searches google for it. im takin mine back for an exchange on friday.

GreenToxon

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me when my phone is charging and it gets kind of hot, or when I have the phone in my pocket on a sunny day and the screen warms up.

DARRINO

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am on my 3rd phone now. The first two would lock up and eventually gave me "force close" error messages. Sprint returned them no problem, no charge. I wanted to switch to the old 4G, however that would have been a $35 charge so I took another 3D. I am hoping the third one is a charm, its been good for 3 days now.

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue too. I'm on my second 3D and it really pains me to return it again, but this problem seems to be getting worse. The problem used to only happen for maybe a minute or so when I got the phone, now the screen is erratic about half the time. Some guy on XDA who has the same problem posted a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz2VqC0D5yA&feature=player_embedded

I made a similar video recording but i don't have a youtube account to upload it. I tried reseting my phone and even reboots don't help at this point.

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Not sure whether this should be chalked up to software or hardware (i'm leaning toward software from it's complete lack of consistency) but I had the same issue. Randomly my phone would not respond on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I'd even get phantom swipes from time to time.
I brought it to Sprint and got the phone exchanged and i've been flawless ever since.
That's my recommendation to all. Not sure what to say to those that have replaced it and still have the issue...

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I remember there was a similar issue with the 4G when it first came out. It turned out there was a grounding issue on some phones, so if you "held it wrong" the screen would be unresponsive. Shifting grip or putting it down (picking it up? I forget) changed the behavior.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I too have had this issue!!! Are you guys using cases? I at first thought it may have something to do with that. When I took my case off within a few moments it starts working. I'm going to go the next few days without the case to see if that makes a difference.