Screen Overlay Detected, what can I do?

Sydia

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: screen Overlay Detected

Screen overlays are things created by one app that cover part or all of screen while another app is in the foreground. Example is Twilight app to reduce blue light at night to help you prepare for sleep....it applies an overlay on top of everything else to tint the screen.. In addition to apps that tint the screen, apps that put buttons or indicators floating on top of everything else are using overlays.

You can imagine it may be dangerous for android to allow you to to change a sensitive setting while an overlay is active because you may be clicking on something different than what you think you are clicking on (if the overlaying app is malicious and trying to trick you). Therefore to improve security, android doesn't allow you to change sensitive settings while an active overlay is detected.

So you need to identify the app applying the overlay:
* using app permissions settings described above for clues..
* also check recent apps and apps using memory and especially dev options/running programs for clues...
* it is narrowed down to apps with that overlay permission that are currently running a service.

Turn off the overlay FROM WITHIN THE APP THAT CREATED THE OVERLAY.

Once all overlays are disabled, you can adjust settings however you want. You can at that point also adjust permissions to deny overlay permission to the offending app if you are not satisfied with the controls within the app or the trustworthiness of the app.

Thank you for this, it turned out to be my OneDrive app, I headed over to my developer options and went into running programs, went through a few apps and saw this one app (one drive) running 4 processes at once, one being always on. Stopped all process and voila! everything works great :) S7 Edge

Max Harris2

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
When you see that message pop up, follow the prompt to go to settings & turn off the overlay for all apps in the list, this solved the issue for me. I don't want my apps to overlay other apps anyways so no issues there. Hope this helped.

When I tried looking for the app that was doing it there was nothing to be found, just the default Google apps

Amit Saharan

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site

I've got Android 6.0 and I'm having a problem with Android asking me to give apps permissions (remember the Mac commercial taunting Windows on this ten years ago?). The point is that i can't use my apps thanks to this. For example, I want to watch baseball games on my MLB At Bat app but then it asks me to enable location, which thrn takes me to a pop up window that says "Screen Overlay Detected. To change this permission setting go to..." then I'm stuck in an endless loop where i can't change any of the settings and i can't operate many of my apps.

Help!
Thanks in advance

Go and allow storage in permission manager for the vr app... all will work fine

Worked in s7 edge

Frank Klett

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for sharing this information. As soon as I uninstalled Clean Master I was able to get into my apps that used location. I then installed the lite version and had no problems.

Your advice on Clean Master worked like a charm..thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chloe Lewis

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site

Since I did this latest update I can't change permissions, upload pictures among some other things. Its causing me a lot of trouble. I keep getting a popup saying screen overlay detected and to turn it off. It takes you to the settings but no matter what I do nothing changes. Its all very vague. It's just a loop accomplishing nothing. If anyone knows of a fix please share. I've tried a few suggestions for nexus that I found but no success. LG g4, unfortunately lol

I tried doing this but it still doesn't work. What do you think I should do?

Negesti Dennis

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I've got Android 6.0 and I'm having a problem with Android asking me to give apps permissions (remember the Mac commercial taunting Windows on this ten years ago?). The point is that i can't use my apps thanks to this. For example, I want to watch baseball games on my MLB At Bat app but then it asks me to enable location, which thrn takes me to a pop up window that says "Screen Overlay Detected. To change this permission setting go to..." then I'm stuck in an endless loop where i can't change any of the settings and i can't operate many of my apps.

Help!
Thanks in advance

Hi. In almost all my apps this weird screen overlay thing pops up, and it brings me to this loop of mess. I have an Samsung galaxy s7 phone. Cab you tell me how to get it off and why did you update this?

thanks!

Nithin palwai

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site

I tried doing this but it still doesn't work. What do you think I should do?

OK..I know how that pop up frustrates and I worked to see it gone here is my solution.
The reason of the screen overlay pop up is because of a single app or more than one app. The solution is to find that app and switch off the 'draw over other apps' to that app, no need to uninstall that app.
How to find that app?
In most cases it will be the app working on the screen, like twilight, swipe, glove box e.t.c. To know for sure U can do this
1. First disable the 'draw over other apps' feature for all third party apps.
2. Check by changing the permission of any app and see whether the screen overlay pop-up is appearing.
3. It won't appear for sure.
4. Enable the 'draw over other apps 'to one top most third party app (so that we can work it out in a chronological order), check by changing the permission of any app and see whether screen overlay pop up is appearing.
5. If yes, remember that app is one of the reason. And U need to off 'draw over other apps' to that app.if no, no worries.
6. Next enable the second to the top app 'draw over other apps'and check by changing the permission of any app, whether the screen overlay pop up is appearing.
7.repeat step 5.
8. Now u will be left with some apps with 'draw over other apps' on and some with off.
9. The apps u denied the 'draw over other apps' are the reason. U can either uninstall them or can keep the apps by denying them 'draw over other apps'.

goanna300

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I agree with the Op that this is a messy situation which the OS should be addressing. So far I'm managing to just ignore the messages.
I'm not going to use up more time on this other than to add my voice via this forum and wait for the fix.

(The mechanic next door told me, "I'm going to learn to think more like a woman thinks and just say, 'I don't need this! '.")

bandito40

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I was having the problem with Messenger after I uninstalled the Facebook app. I fixed my going to my profile in Messenger and selecting "Photos & media". I turned on "Save Photos" and "Save On Capture". Solved the problem. Clean master had nothing to did with it in my case. It's weird since either option only applies after a screen over lay is complete.

Tricky trish

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site

Help!
Thanks in advance

Listen I can't grant permission to apps I've loaded smart tutor can't even get that to work

Katecolleyhooks

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
When you see that message pop up, follow the prompt to go to settings & turn off the overlay for all apps in the list, this solved the issue for me. I don't want my apps to overlay other apps anyways so no issues there. Hope this helped.
WHEN YOU GET TO THE SCREEN IN SETTINGS FOR OVERLAYS, MAKE SURE HIT THE DOtS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN TO SHOW SYSTEM APPS TOO. AND TURN THEm ALL TO OFF

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! In know this is a long thread, but have you read through it? There are lots of suggestions on how to solve the issue.

Gramgram

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Since I did this latest update I can't change permissions, upload pictures among some other things. Its causing me a lot of trouble. I keep getting a popup saying screen overlay detected and to turn it off. It takes you to the settings but no matter what I do nothing changes. Its all very vague. It's just a loop accomplishing nothing. If anyone knows of a fix please share. I've tried a few suggestions for nexus that I found but no success. LG g4, unfortunately lol

Rick I'm having the same problems...I've done everything suppose 2 and still gives the same message about that darn overlay. I've changed then to return back and gives the same saying. I've an LG note 2..going nuts because don't understand how tho resolve this going problem...i just want throw phn the window. I've left messages but no1gives any type resolution.

Qualitystreeteater

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Screen Overlay settings can be found by going to Settings>Apps, tap the gear icon, then Draw Over Other Apps. (This is on a Nexus 6P--if you have a different phone, there might be some differences in the menu location.) By default, it should be Enabled, but each individual app can be turned on or off. Does the error message want you to enable to disable the screen overlay?

I keep going round in circles with this overlay thing and I am not to phone savvy ....help please????

how do I sort this asap please

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you looked through this whole thread? Can you tell us what you've tried already?

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

So my problem with screen overlay was caused by an app, pie control. I force stop it then the overlay msg doesn't come up. Restart it when I'm done giving permissions. Also toucher pro was causing the screen overlay error when I was using that. If you are using a similar app that might be your culprit