Screen repeatedly stuck *mostly* black on unlock

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

About 30% of the time, when I unlock my S9, the screen briefly comes alive, and then turns black. Often the top ~5% of the screen is still visible, but the colors are wrong and it's distorted. I can still interact with the phone, and that 5% of the screen does change in some way, and haptic/sound queues show the phone is working.

This happens most often when I quickly lock and then unlock the phone. It has happened with increasing frequency over the past ~3 months, and now is quite common.

Usually I can fix it by locking again, waiting 10-15 seconds, and unlocking. If I unlock too soon it happens again. However, today after my phone got hot from being in the sun, it took ~20m before it would unlock properly - gave me a scare. Notably, when the phone was stuck this way, I could restart it, and the boot screen showed the Android logo just fine, but as soon as it booted the screen went black again.

To fix it, I've tried a hard restart, full factory reset, and booting in safe mode - nothing seems to affect it. Phone otherwise works great.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or do I just need to resign myself to getting a new phone?

thomaswp

May 7, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Laura. It's had a few minor drops over the years, but nothing major. I guess my main question is whether it's a firmware issue or a hardware issue (I assume given the factory reset, it's not software). Given that the screen can still display just fine (e.g. when booting, showing the Android logo, even when all else is black), I was assuming it might not be hardware. But I suppose there's not much more I can do, so a repair shop sounds reasonable. Just wondering if anyone's encountered a similar issue or resolved it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol