SD card reminder!!

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
If you are swapping an SD card to use with your new phone, don't forget to decrypt it before you swap.! Otherwise you can can only use it with the phone it was encrypted! I just did mine tonight. Hello Note 9!

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
If you are swapping an SD card to use with your new phone, don't forget to decrypt it before you swap.! Otherwise you can can only use it with the phone it was encrypted! I just did mine tonight. Hello Note 9!

How do you decrypt the sd card? I never had a problem when I took my 256gb sd out if the note 7 and put it in the note8

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

Thanks - If you are switching the SD card and had apps installed on it. Do they need to be left as is installed on the card?

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
No it won't delete anything. I always encrypt the SD card. If someone steals it, they will never be able to use it or read your personal files!

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
You can encrypt the phone and / or SD card. That's why you password, fingerprint, face unlock your phone. The phone automatically encrypted itself by default. Note 8 anyway. It stores an unreadable (key) that only it can decrypt. Same as the SD card. That way ONLY your phone can see and read it.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
You can encrypt the phone and / or SD card. That's why you password, fingerprint, face unlock your phone. The phone automatically encrypted itself by default. Note 8 anyway. It stores an unreadable (key) that only it can decrypt. Same as the SD card. That way ONLY your phone can see and read it.

You're the best. Thanks again:)

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Wait, so I never encrypted my SD Card. Is this something the Note 8 does by default? If I never encrypted, is this process necessary? Also, does the phone encrypt itself by default?

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The Note 8 encrypted the phone by default. But not the SD card. Remember, if you do not encrypt your SD card anyone can access those files at anytime. It's a very easy way to protect your personal information and data from thieves, and bad apps!

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Good info here. But, getting the 512 so my SD card is getting retired. Its only a 64 anyway. Just gonna drop it in the Note 9 long enough to unload my pictures to the phone and then I think ill use the 64 card on my Gear 360 camera that I got as a gift last year and never used.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
The Note 8 encrypted the phone by default. But not the SD card. Remember, if you do not encrypt your SD card anyone can access those files at anytime. It's a very easy way to protect your personal information and data from thieves, and bad apps!

So, what does this mean, say if I take the SD card out of my phone and put insert into my desktop card reader, if I encrypt it, I need a password to unlock all the files?

I've never encrypted or decrypted and I've never had issues retrieving my data from it or adding data to it.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
You have to decrypt in your phone 1st before anything elsewhere can read it. Or plug your phone into your computer with a USB port and cable. Then the PC can read it while it's still in your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrianBaw