second thoughts

precon22

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the shift right now I paid full price but I'm starting to want the EVO back I love the size of the shift but I dont ever use the keyboard kinda confused what to do can u guys help me out. I have a couple weeks left

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
nobody can tell you what to do...if you like it then keep it...if you dont then get something else or go back to the OG EVO....its not really up to us what you do....make your own decision

DavidF78

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, but today was my last day to exchange so I guess I'm keeping it.. I came from a palm pre and thought I would use the keyboard. But Swype is too easy so now it feels like wasted bulk. I couldn't do the evo, its just too big. The lg optimus wasn't doing it for me. This is the only high quality android on sprint, in a size I am comfortable with.

(Typed on my hardware KB. I guess I'll try and get used to it.)

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It's funny, I can't imagine owning this phone without a keyboard. I can't get a decent handle on the on-screen keyboard, mis-types *galore*. Based on my experience with the shift so far I would never buy a phone without a keyboard (and I've used Swype too...for me the big problem is things like URLs or proper names).

Since you had the Evo before, what's your pro/con list?

precon22

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Well
Shift pro
Great build
good size and
awesome camera
Battery life
Con
horrible reception in good coverage
Youtube issues
Speakers quiet

EVO OG
Big screen
Great build
Great speaker
Awesome support
And various accessories

Cons
Screen separation still not bad tho
Big
1st gen processor
Bad battery life

karnoff

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I really find the build of the Shift to be wonderful and I bought it cause the screen size of the EVO was too big for me. I dont need a small tablet in my pocket. 3.6 is the perfect cell phone size for me. Also like you i use swype a lot, but there tends to be times when i will use the keyboard to type certain things. Also the keyboard is a breeze to use with games. (emulators)

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow that was constructive thanks I think .........

i apologize if i came off like a d**k i didnt mean that...but it sounded like you just wanted other people to back you up to justify your purchase, especially when you really didnt offer anything more than saying I dont know which one to keep help me make a decision for me...only you know what you like or dont like....a pro/con list is a good way to help make up your mind but certainly not to the approval of anybody on a forum....the specs are there and even more so you have/had both phones so you can even do real world testing and seeing which one you like more....again i really am sorry if i come off like an a**hole but i just didnt understand why this thread was necessary

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Shift knowing I wanted a keyboard for playing emulated games, texting, emailing and participating on forums without having to use most of the screen on a virtual keyboard. Emulated games really aren't fun on a virtual keyboard.

I looked at the Epic and LOVE the screen but I did not care for the feel of the phone and the fact it is still running Android 2.1 though I did like the spring loaded sliding mechanism better than the Shift. The EVO is a decent looking phone if you like large phones but in my opinion the 480x800 resolution is not high enough for a screen larger than 4 inches and for me the lack of a keyboard made it a no go. I like how sharp everything looks on the Shift. I believe a phone larger than 4 inches needs a resolution of around 540x960 to keep the pixel density roughly the same as it is on phones with a 3.6 or 3.7 inch screen running 480x800.

Reactions: precon22

davecttt

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
to each their own

I personally love the Shift, but recognize that there is not a one sized fits all phone.

There is a reason there are at least ten different phones from each manufacturer, and four major operating softwares.

precon22

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
i didn't want anyone to sway my decision i was just looking for some others peoples opinion on the matter that is all because i like the shift but im getting torn either way because i like the OG Evo as well. I could have been a little more specific. my apologies as well. and thank you all for writing and letting me know what all of you think.

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, but today was my last day to exchange so I guess I'm keeping it.. I came from a palm pre and thought I would use the keyboard. But Swype is too easy so now it feels like wasted bulk. I couldn't do the evo, its just too big. The lg optimus wasn't doing it for me. This is the only high quality android on sprint, in a size I am comfortable with.
(Typed on my hardware KB. I guess I'll try and get used to it.)

I came from a Pre also, and still wouldn't be without a physical keyboard. I use both the on screen keyboard and the physical keyboard a fair amount, and am really liking the phone so far. I still prefer the vertical slider design and portrait keyboard, though - just so much easier for me to type on. If the Shift had a vertical instead of horizontal slide-out keyboard, it would be as close to a perfect phone as I could imagine.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawyer8