Seidio Active Review...

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
So since I seem to normally have nothing to offer to the forum I figured I'd put up a little review about the Garnet Red Active Case I recieved today. While I havn't had it on a phone yet (Obviously) I still have some rather strong opinions on the build, and will definitely report back when I get a chance to actually use it on the phone...But for now...

The case has two pieces...One piece is the "Active Skin". It's made of a slicone material and itself doesn't seem to bad at all, I feel its a bit thin in areas (volume up down/camera) for the amount of use they will end up getting. The sides however seem to be a pretty good thickness that will take some pretty hard hits.

Now on to the "Active Skeleton" as they call it. Not sure what exactly its made of but its a harder plastic that has a nice rubber feel to it. Has 6 areas where it attaches around the "Active Skin" (Top corners, bottom corners, and sides). The camera and flash area has a bit of a rib built in to go flush against the phone itself to not allow any dirt inside the case I would assume. This is the only area of the case that has that rib built in. Seems like something similar would have been welcome at the speaker area as well. Now, on to the KickStand...What a joke. I pulled this case out of the package and that's the first thing I turned to. You can take the kickstand and move it (The way it SHOULDN'T move) approximately 1/8" side to side. Not to mention the fact that it seems to be made of some cheap plastic, with their reported "Magnetic" return system (A very small magnet which is pasted to the underside of the kickstand) that only works after you return the kickstand about 7/8 of the way to the resting position. Also, I personally was very happy to see the stock phone have a KickStand that works in 3 ways. The normal up and down, and either landscape mode. With this case you can forget two of them and stick with the same old OG EVO KickStand mode (Thats right, it will be charger down).

So, would I purchase this case again knowing what I know now...

ABSOLUTELY NOT...However I will install it and give it a shot for a few weeks and see how she holds up in.the Fire/EMS/Hazmat Field.

Hope this helped some of you in choosing a case, if you gimme a second I will upload a bunch of photos of the case to outline some of things I described.

***Respectfully Submitted...DeputyDipshizz ***

Reactions: petrosil

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 26001
Back
View attachment 26002
Front
View attachment 26003
Magnetic Pasty On The Kickstand
View attachment 26004

View attachment 26005
That black rectangular strip inside the skeleton is I believe what the magnet goes to from the kickstand...If you notice the skin also has a rectangular area thay black strip fits into when the cases are mated together. You can all but see through that portion of the skin, that's how thin it really is in that area.

Hadda take them outside the lighting in my house is horrible...Hope this helps gentleman.

***Respectfully Submitted...DeputyDipshizz***

Pace Racing

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I didn't like the idea of covering the aircraft aluminum kickstand the Evo comes with and replacing it with one that looks like it adds bulk and may not be made as well. Suspicions confirmed.

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I didn't like the idea of covering the aircraft aluminum kickstand the Evo comes with and replacing it with one that looks like it adds bulk and may not be made as well. Suspicions confirmed.

Definitely...Wish I would have went with the Surface...and, If someone is kind enough to put up the same kind of review, maybe they aren't to good either...I know I wasn't happy with my OG EVO Surface either...should have learned my lesson with Seidio then and there. That's what I get for being impatient.

***¦-} I think I'm an EVO 4G LTE ¦-} I think I'm an EVO 4G LTE ¦-} I think I'm an EVO 4G LTE ¦-} ***

Last edited:

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review. The case looks nice in the pictures but now I know to be leery of cases with built in kickstand, especially ones that aren't in the stock location and take away functionality.
I was thinking about getting the best buy Pt (seidio surface clone?) to hold me over until Otterbox cases are available. I really like their quality.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Just an update for you guys. I used the case for a total of maybe 4 hours. Couldn't stand it anymore and stopped at Best Buy for a PT Case, basically the Seidio Surface just renamed for sale at BB, and I love it. The Kickstand on the Active kept popping out all by itself and I'm suprised I didn't break it off, but I'm sure it would happen if I kept the case on. Loving the PT case so far, able to use the new awesome kickstand design!!!

-Sent from my US Customs Edition EVO 4G LTE-

seidioseidio

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just an update for you guys. I used the case for a total of maybe 4 hours. Couldn't stand it anymore and stopped at Best Buy for a PT Case, basically the Seidio Surface just renamed for sale at BB, and I love it. The Kickstand on the Active kept popping out all by itself and I'm suprised I didn't break it off, but I'm sure it would happen if I kept the case on. Loving the PT case so far, able to use the new awesome kickstand design!!!

-Sent from my US Customs Edition EVO 4G LTE-

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the ACTIVE and SURFACE from Seidio and we appreciate the feedback, the kickstand is actually a durable metal that can withstand quite a bit of pressure. Regardless, we will forward your suggestions to the Product Development Team so thank you for the valuable feedback!

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novigator