Seidio Surface Case for Photon

Slam08

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been eagerly waiting for Seidio to release their Surface case for the Photon.

The black one has been out for about a week I think, but I was waiting for the Sapphire one to complement the blue theme of the Photon. Looks like it just came out last week!

Has anyone had experience with this case or compared it to other cases? I was thinking of buying it from Amazon because of the free shipping and discounted price.

I love my photon, but for some reason I have trouble telling up from down and have this weird habit of trying to push the top of the phone to turn the screen on, only to realise that the phone is upside down. I think a case with a cutout would solve that problem for me. haha.

There's another part of me that is wondering if I need anything on the phone at all. It has gorilla glass for the scratch protection, so maybe I could go without a screen protector, and rubberized back gives plenty of grip, I have yet to drop the phone after 4 weeks of having it. (I dropped my Evo3D twice in the same span of time.)

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have no specific experience with the Surface case on the Photon, but used them for both EVO 4G and EVO 3D. Very nice cases, and I also buy the holster for occasional use.

I don't like to use cases but do - I usually drop a device once during my ownership. I dropped my EVO 3D in a Surface case onto concrete (ouch) where it landed face down. No damage at all to the device, a few scratches on the corner of the case that mostly rubbed out and weren't noticeable.

Reactions: Slam08

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my 3d a couple of times too! It was a slippery little sucker! My photon seems to set in my hand better.

SENT FROM A BADAZZ MOPHO

Agreed - my Photon seems easier to hold. I sometimes take the case off when in office/hotel/home where I have carpet. I've bought 3 new phones this year (and handed down the EVOs to family), so I've used all 3 line upgrades. Need to take good care of this one. BTW, always keeep insurance on my line, but not the ones I hand down,. Have never used it yet...

davemoshaw

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I bought the sapphire case and it is nice, not too bulky. It seems to not fit as well as the surface case did for my EVO, but a little seam is no big deal. I had to purchase the holster as it did not fit my previous one once the case was installed.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought the sapphire case and it is nice, not too bulky. It seems to not fit as well as the surface case did for my EVO, but a little seam is no big deal. I had to purchase the holster as it did not fit my previous one once the case was installed.

Yeah, since the cases are all made to fit, the hosters are all different too.

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, since the cases are all made to fit, the hosters are all different too.

Which holster did you have? I have the Evo 3d holster and want to see if that will work. Don't really want to get it unless it does. The phones are the same height.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Which holster did you have? I have the Evo 3d holster and want to see if that will work. Don't really want to get it unless it does. The phones are the same height.

Since my earlier posts, I did get the Photon Surface case and holster. (Fits fine and I'd recommend it)

I tried the Photon and its Surface case in the EVO 3D Surface holster. It fits just fine except that the spring-loaded clip at the top is just a bit taller than the case (the EVO case is a tiny bit taller) and doesn't come down quite as far on the outside of the case to grab it. Although not a perfect fit, it does appear to be snug when I pulled on it. I personally wouldn't feel totally comfortable with it - but I do think it would be ok.

Reactions: Droid-One

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Since my earlier posts, I did get the Photon Surface case and holster. (Fits fine and I'd recommend it)

I tried the Photon and its Surface case in the EVO 3D Surface holster. It fits just fine except that the spring-loaded clip at the top is just a bit taller than the case (the EVO case is a tiny bit taller) and doesn't come down quite as far on the outside of the case to grab it. Although not a perfect fit, it does appear to be snug when I pulled on it. I personally wouldn't feel totally comfortable with it - but I do think it would be ok.

Thank you. This really helps. I think I will go ahead and order the surface case. Didn't want to spend that kind of money and mot know. As long as its held in place it should be fine and if its not then i guess that's what the case is for.

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Otterbox Commuter for my Photon. Can anyone tell me how the Surface case might compare to it in "pocketability"?

I love the protection of the Otterbox but it adds quite a bit of bulk and the phone is a bit hard to get in and out of my pocket. Also, the rubber shock-absorbing material on the Commuter is a lint magnet.

Any help is appreciated. :)

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Otterbox Commuter for my Photon. Can anyone tell me how the Surface case might compare to it in "pocketability"?

I love the protection of the Otterbox but it adds quite a bit of bulk and the phone is a bit hard to get in and out of my pocket. Also, the rubber shock-absorbing material on the Commuter is a lint magnet.

Any help is appreciated. :)

I have both the Commuter and Surface cases for my (now my wife's) EVO 3D. I switched mostly because of holster availability for the Surface. I carry my phone in a holster when wearing jeans on the weekend, and without holster in my shirt pocket during the week at work.

The thing I did not like about the Commuter was that the rubber parts made it a little hard to slide in and out of a shirt pocket. The Surface slides in and out much more easily in a loose shirt pocket; I imagine even easier in a tighter jeans pocket. I also did not like the Commuter's rubber covering the buttons. They both add about the same bulk to the phone - the Surface maybe less since it doesn't have rubber buttons sticking out.

Reactions: Derek_B

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63