Selfie Camera Issue? Pixel 5

MartyLL

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
So I've had my Pixel 5 a little over a week now and have recently noticed that the selfie camera is absolutely awful! No sharpness or detail and the tap to focus pretty much does zero to the area highlighted. My Pixel 3 crushes my Pixel 5 which is so odd. I've been in touch with Google who have samples of the pics etc. Anyone have the same issue? It's either a defective camera because my main camera seems a little off as well. As I know Pixels can produce stunning pics but I'm just not seeing it. Back on my Pixel 3 for now fgs miss the awesome battery on the 5 already Lol.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So I've had my Pixel 5 a little over a week now and have recently noticed that the selfie camera is absolutely awful! No sharpness or detail and the tap to focus pretty much does zero to the area highlighted. My Pixel 3 crushes my Pixel 5 which is so odd. I've been in touch with Google who have samples of the pics etc. Anyone have the same issue? It's either a defective camera because my main camera seems a little off as well. As I know Pixels can produce stunning pics but I'm just not seeing it. Back on my Pixel 3 for now fgs miss the awesome battery on the 5 already Lol.
That's odd especially since all the reviews I've seen people brag about the selfie camera. Sucks that you are running into this issue and my guess is that you have a faulty camera.

MartyLL

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
The only review I've seen so far that digs a little deeper into the Pixel 5 selfie camera is the new CNET comparison with the new iPhone. My Pixel 3 picks up my beard stubble, bristles so well and then some while the Pixel 5 seems to very much struggle. I just hope it's a defective camera as I know the Pixel is much better.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the selfie camera a whole lot, but I think it's fine. Obviously not going to be as good as the rear camera, but to me, the few photos I took - it looked acceptable to me?

The Pixel 3 XL probably took better selfies as it had two camera lenses and I think the main camera lens was a larger and had a wider field of view - but I'm not sure.

Maybe you could post a pic so we can see what they're like? If it's way off, then it could be a hardware issue.

MartyLL

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
I have now sent my first Pixel 5 back, waiting on a new device being sent then I'll definitely know for sure if the camera was playing up on my first unit. I'll post when I get the new Pixel 5 with the results :)

MartyLL

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
I have now received my new device as the first had an issue with the camera front and back but mainly the front facing selfie camera was really bad. The new device I have got back is much better BUT the selfie camera itself has really taken a step backwards, My Pixel 3 shoots better and more detailed selfies than the Pixel 5 and as I have said before even the viewfinder picks up much more detail the Pixel 5 just seems out of focus and not that sharp at picking up details. Meh!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
To be honest I found the pixel 4xl camera was not as good as my 2xl. I was seriously disappointed with it. My husband has the phone now and loves it. I think Google needs to change their lenses as they are losing their edge with photography.

MartyLL

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
Yeah I have the pixel 2 and 3 and I think by comparing the three together the Pixel 5 comes in last on the selfie scores which is a major disappointment. The detail on my pixel 3 is superb (possibly because of it having 2 cameras) but I expected much better from the 5!

MartyLL

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
Re: Selfie Camera Issue? Pixel 5 (Samples).

I think we can now see that the Pixel 3 has more detail, more sharpness and for me its a better overall picture, my beard, my stubble, eyebrows even my eyes/color are all much better than the Pixel 5, which just seems a tad blurry out of focus and detail just lacking a bit over an older phone. Disappointed in the Pixel in this regards as I would often take pics with my son (main camera is very good though). What's your thoughts? And if you have a Pixel 5 sample by all means post to see if its any better than what I was able to get on my Pixel 5.

Pixel 3 - pixel3.jpg

Pixel 5 - pixel5.jpg

midnightrider20

Feb 11, 2020
Visit site
Re: Selfie Camera Issue? Pixel 5 (Samples).

I think we can now see that the Pixel 3 has more detail, more sharpness and for me its a better overall picture, my beard, my stubble, eyebrows even my eyes/color are all much better than the Pixel 5, which just seems a tad blurry out of focus and detail just lacking a bit over an older phone. Disappointed in the Pixel in this regards as I would often take pics with my son (main camera is very good though). What's your thoughts? And if you have a Pixel 5 sample by all means post to see if its any better than what I was able to get on my Pixel 5.

Pixel 3 - View attachment 328530

Pixel 5 - View attachment 328531

it seems the Pixel 5 isn't as sharp or focused like the Pixel 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon