Piel 6 Pro user - Upgrade to a Pixel 8 Pro, or wait for the 9Pro?

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, was here looking for something else and realized no one responded to this part.
The P8P is the BEST phone camera I've ever had (DXOMark thinks so still, too, was at #3 or 2 for quite a while) bar none, and by a BIG margin. It gets the focus perfect or near-perfect I'd say 90-95% of the time, the colors are super accurate, and low light pics are usually good to great-surprising-they-came-out-at-all, IME. The ability of the super-zoom is shocking, too, in that I never thought I'd use digital zoom (I still don't use it much, habit I suppose, but when I do I'm almost always pleasantly surprised).
Take a look at phone-pic comparisons, say to the latest S-series, or the OP, it's usually close or better than the S24 setups, and smokes the latest OP, the pages with big pic comparisons are very telling.
The fingerprint reader is sucky, particularly if you use a screen protector (yeah, I'm in that camp, always have been probably always will be).
The P8P has vastly better reception than the P6P IME as well, urban areas that were dead zones are now fine, and some rural areas where I've failed to get signal are now decent dBm values, when I check them (someone else is driving), so I'd call that a win, too. It looks like the new P9 series will be (possibly) better in this area, but I have very few complaints, things like "someone else's phone has signal and mine doesn't" aren't a thing with the P8P, IME.

Last edited:

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, was here looking for something else and realized no one responded to this part.
The P8P is the BEST phone camera I've ever had (DXOMark thinks so still, too, was at #3 or 2 for quite a while) bar none, and by a BIG margin. It gets the focus perfect or near-perfect I'd say 90-95% of the time, the colors are super accurate, and low light pics are usually good to great-surprising-they-came-out-at-all, IME. The ability of the super-zoom is shocking, too, in that I never thought I'd use digital zoom (I still don't use it much, habit I suppose, but when I do I'm almost always pleasantly surprised).
Take a look at phone-pic comparisons, say to the latest S-series, or the OP, it's usually close or better than the S24 setups, and smokes the latest OP, the pages with big pic comparisons are very telling.
The fingerprint reader is sucky, particularly if you use a screen protector (yeah, I'm in that camp, always have been probably always will be).
The P8P has vastly better reception than the P6P IME as well, urban areas that were dead zones are now fine, and some rural areas where I've failed to get signal are now decent dBm values, when I check them (someone else is driving), so I'd call that a win, too. It looks like the new P9 series will be (possibly) better in this area, but I have very few complaints, things like "someone else's phone has signal and mine doesn't" aren't a thing with the P8P, IME.
Thank you! Your camera experience sounds like they improved it over my 6P. Focus on it isn't that great, colors seem brownish sometimes (bad White Balance?), Manual settings suck compared to my G3, lightening of shadows seems unnatural.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! Your camera experience sounds like they improved it over my 6P. Focus on it isn't that great, colors seem brownish sometimes (bad White Balance?), Manual settings suck compared to my G3, lightening of shadows seems unnatural.
Yeah, the color replication is fantastic in most cases. I thought they P6P pics were washed out a bit, for the same reason, WB being off.
The P8P is dramatically better than the P6P in this area, for certain. If the fingerprint sensor weren't so wonky I'd call it the perfect phone at this point, or very close.

Reactions: Aflaaaak

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Look......this close to a product release, you're asking us to help you choose between a known performer (the P8P) or an upcoming unknown entity (the P9 in 3 flavours). You can always just go for the P9, try it out, and if it doesn't do it for you, exchange it for the P8P. Or even get that one closer to the release of the P9, then exchange it for the newer phone should you desire after hearing some initial reviews.

That's what I would do in your shoes.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pokerface8529