Seriously Considering the New Small Apple Phone

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
After using Moto phones for several years. I am seriously considering moving to the new small Apple phone. I prefer a smaller phone, which Moto and the other manufacturers have abandoned and I am kind of getting tired of the Android update, no update games we have played for the past few years. Anyone else? Thoughts?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple makes great phones, but, more importantly, they have easily the best support in the business. I won't buy a phone unless the display is 5" or so or smaller, so I'd be ok with the new SE (though honestly the 6s I think is a perfect size.)

The other great thing about Apple is that the phone is unlocked and not subject to Verizon's update schedule.

There are issues with iPhones - the home button/Touch ID remains mechanical, and can have issues, plus the new SE I believe is using the older, slower Touch ID from the iPhone 5s. Still, the price is great for the performance. It's a great choice, particularly for people who really like a smaller form factor (frankly, it's the only choice these days, particularly if you're on Verizon, unless you want a three year old Droid Mini that is vastly inferior to the SE.)

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
iPhones are definitely have their perks. They are incredibly smooth, their iOS is less buggy, and their cameras are superior. Unfortunately their battery life is garbage. Their screens are incredibly fragile, I swear they come cracked from the factories now. That does give them a clearer display though.

It all depends on what's important to you. Think about things you want other than screen size and find a different Android phone if that's what fits you?

Robert Beier

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
If it interests you, it interests you. I personally don't like iPhones and I have no interest in such a small screen. My wife, on the other hand, loves her 5s but it's starting to screw up and really wants the updated camera. This is right up her alley and I suspect she'll upgrade soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
One thing I learned early on when I began lurking around these forums is that a lot of this is personal preference. Sure, some phones are objectively "better" or "worse" than others, but often it comes down to what YOU like. So if you like a smaller phone, get it.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
My Droid Turbo 2 is the first Android phone I ever owned and my second smart phone. My previous smart phone was the Iphone 5. With the exception of battery life and non-breakable screen (arguably a gimmick since a case will prevent most screen breaks on an Iphone) my 3 or 4 yeard old Iphone 5 was a better build device.

Marshmallow is a decent operating system, but I think IOS is superior.

I don't think one can go wrong purchasing an Iphone. Unless one is dead set on Android.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm hoping the new iPhone will encourage the development of similar Android phones and/or the import to the US of the Xperia Compact.

I'd like to see that, too. As a former Iphone 5 owner, I would love to see more Android flagship caliber phones in the 5 inch range ala Samsung Galaxy 7. The DT2 is actually bigger than I like and I do not consider the DT2 to be a flagship caliber device even though it has many top of the line components. I think Moto and Verizon really whiffed on this phone....

If apple had put a bigger battery in the 6 or 6S, I never would have purchased the DT2.

2Addicted

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The DT2 is my first Android in quite a while, and does everything exceptionally well. What reasons do you give for not considering it a "flagship" phone?

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Apple builds decent phones with 3 year old "innovation" stolen from Android devices. The only true "innovation" I've seen so far is the peeking feature which, while new, is rarely used and very gimmicky according to every iPhone user that I know and meet that has that phone. The only plus to that series of phones is the stand by battery, otherwise the phone is merely a simple phone for simple people.

DT2 is a flagship phone with the only issue being that it's Verizon's flagship (read slow updates). What criteria are you using to say it's not??

Posted by the Droid Turbo 2 authored by its Human!!!

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I previously owned a 5c, never again. Just too many restrictions in iOS. I am liking the open source app structure much better. Despite its quirks, android is a better fit for me. The one thing that always bugged me about owning a bottom tier Apple phone was the accessory market... Or lack there-of. If this phone is the same form factor of the 5s, and is compatible with 5s accessories, that would be a plus.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
After using Moto phones for several years. I am seriously considering moving to the new small Apple phone. I prefer a smaller phone, which Moto and the other manufacturers have abandoned and I am kind of getting tired of the Android update, no update games we have played for the past few years. Anyone else? Thoughts?
Man its funny seeing this post because a few days ago I was considering the same thing. I absolutely loved my iPhone 4 and 4S. I loved the form factor and size. What has got my mind off of the thought however is I like my S6 a lot. I also love my camera and the finger print scanner is great. Finally I have iLauncher so when I go through withdrawals I just switch to it and my apple keyboard, and other apps to imitate the apple ecosystem and wala. The magic of Android launchers. This may be sad but whatever. 😁 I also still use Apple Music which I've never fallen out of love with.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The S7, G5, and 10 aren't exactly phablets. Are they too large?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple makes great phones, but, more importantly, they have easily the best support in the business. I won't buy a phone unless the display is 5" or so or smaller, so I'd be ok with the new SE (though honestly the 6s I think is a perfect size.)

The other great thing about Apple is that the phone is unlocked and not subject to Verizon's update schedule.

There are issues with iPhones - the home button/Touch ID remains mechanical, and can have issues, plus the new SE I believe is using the older, slower Touch ID from the iPhone 5s. Still, the price is great for the performance. It's a great choice, particularly for people who really like a smaller form factor (frankly, it's the only choice these days, particularly if you're on Verizon, unless you want a three year old Droid Mini that is vastly inferior to the SE.)

I'm kind of envious of the physical Apple Store experience.

If I were to switch to iOS, it would be to the SE, not the 6S.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I have it, and I'll say that it doesn't hurt to try it! As said by someone else above, it's great to have a smaller phone that isn't bad in specs. I wish that there were more OEMs who would make a similar combo. I really like that I can use my phone one-handed easily and without strain. I apperciate Sony for the compact series, but I wish that they weren't the only ones.

NoPrivacy

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
You are welcome to think that, but I think you mean you don't see value in it. Others have expressed their preference,so I'm sure we aren't all speaking on pure delusion :)

The only reason question for a manufacturer is whether there are enough folks out there to make it profitable.