Share your HTC One (M8) first impressions and personal reviews!

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Correction, 12 more days before I have to make a decision, so far so good, love the resizing of fonts when I go to a web page but that's only on HTC phones that I've used. I need those arrows back for the keyboard, though. Really helps w/texting. Gotta check for SVDO, also.

Unless they took out the setting for it if you go into the settings for Sense Keyboard (assume that's what you're using) there should be an option to enable the arrow keys. There was on Sense 5 at least.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Unless they took out the setting for it if you go into the settings for Sense Keyboard (assume that's what you're using) there should be an option to enable the arrow keys. There was on Sense 5 at least.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Just checked and I can confirm this, it is there

Posted via Android Central App

g00sefrabaaa

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Switched from Verizon/Galaxy S3 to AT&T and ordered the M8. I've had it for 5 days now.
Build: It's a beautiful phone. It's elegantly sturdy. The screen has been great so far. I personally love the weight of the phone as it makes it feel more fuller. It's my first time have a non-plastic cased phone (Incredible, Droid MAXX, S3) and it feels pretty great in the hand. With that said, I still feel like it'll break/crack easily even with a slight drop. I've ordered both a case and screen protector off Amazon from Red Shield until more options come out.
Speed: The phone operates quick and smooth. Haven't experienced any lag so far.
Sound: worlds better than the S3. the speakers on the phone itself is definitely an improvement from galaxy. First phone that I've had where the speakers are on the front and sound is crisper. I love listening to my own music when I drive. Whenever I had my S3 plugged into the AUX port (or any AUX port) it seemed like I'd still have to crank the volumes on both the phone and car stereo all the way up and sometimes even then it'd still sound too quiet. having the M8 plugged into an AUX port is much better where volumes on both the phone and AUX port don't have to be cranked up all the way.
Display: Haven't played any games really as I'm just trying to find out all the other features of the phone, but pictures and videos are crisp. My only gripe is the reasoning behind putting an HTC label under the screen towards the bottom bevel (especially considering the HTC label on the back is nicely put). that could've easily been more screen room or even where the pop up keys appear.
Camera: I've only taken a few pictures so far. Haven't tried to utilize all the different camera modes. I've yet to try and take pics in low light situations. I understand why a majority of people say the camera is a deal breaker when complaining about megapixels. But for me, I'm no photographer and I'm not taking pictures to make a portfolio or anything. I'm just trying to pictures of moments that I like that I want to save/share later. With the few pictures I've taken, I've barely noticed a difference compared to pics I took with the S3.
Apps/Feat./Misc: Honestly, I wasn't sure how to get the most out of this phone which is why I decided to make an account here. Right now, I'm using the M8 for basic use- social networking, watching videos, browsing the interwebs, etc.

I hope this was enough for average users like myself. I've still got till next week to change my mind on the phone so I'll update if needed.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The black bar with the HTC logo has been proven to hide all sorts of antennas, circuitry, and electronics. Hardly wasted space. They chose to do this to make a thinner phone. Everything is a trade-off

g00sefrabaaa

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
The black bar with the HTC logo has been proven to hide all sorts of antennas, circuitry, and electronics. Hardly wasted space. They chose to do this to make a thinner phone. Everything is a trade-off

Ah, didn't know that! Guess they saw the extra space and thought "HTC label!" lol. In that case, I preferably would've liked it blank.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Great device. My only real gripe about the device itself is when I email pics from the gallery, there is no option to resize, it just sends the full size image.

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, it is time for a decision. Do I keep the non-Svdo capable HTC M8 or switch back to the very capable, easy to hold, SVDO Capable EVO 4G LTE, that's still in my house, on WiFi, still keeping time and e-mail. I have 5 more days. Thank you, Consumer Reports for clarifying my selection in cellphones.

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Great device. My only real gripe about the device itself is when I email pics from the gallery, there is no option to resize, it just sends the full size image.

Isn't there an option to edit (resize) the photo BEFORE selecting it to send? I wouldn't know yet, because Best Buy lost my phone. No clue what happened to it. Ugh!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have that option but can't get it to work right neither.. I can't get the press and hold for menu part to work. I can swipe up and it says do you want to use Goolge or Assistant I have speak to it and why it also has Dolphin as a choice I don't know. Just got our phones yesterday. It'll take me all day to get it set up like my old HTC One was. I love it though it's so fast.I am just not used to having the 3 buttons and the 3 dot menu thing again but I'll get used to it. I wish holding down home would work but this is the best phone yet. We love it!

Here it is:
View attachment 110751

Strangely enough, it doesn't actually appear to work, at least not for me. I press and hold and I feel a vibration but nothing happens. Tried in several different apps, same thing. :\

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My first impression was how thin this is. Soemtimed I'm afraid of dropping it since my last phone was the Rezound.

The interface is simple enough. I like the BlinkFeed, instead of going to individual apps I can go to the BlinkFeed and see anything I missed.
The camera features are great. From the dual camera to the simple slide from back camera to front face camera. I like I can put the phone down with out muffling the sound.

Two things bother me though but can deal with, I don't like is some of the stock widgets. They're useful but look is bleh. Also the lock screen on my previous phone (Rezound) was customiable. For example clock only, weather, etc. This one isnt

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Ariozo

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Love it, matter of taste I guess but I love sense. Have z2 and s5 on order to compare when I get them. But for my use the m8 doing a great, and love HTC design. S5 this year I think will be less impressive, z2 can be interesting tho. But think m8 will be my device for a while..:) one device that can have a shot is the new G3, but a while to that one.

Skickat fr?n min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
First impression... I'm in love! I was stunned at just how beautiful it is. Sense 6 is s great improvement over previous versions. It feels great in my hands ( not nearly as big or slippery as people believe, IMHO). I'm coming from a Nexus 5 and an M7. If my first day with the M8 is any indication, both those devices will soon be retired and I'll be faithful to this device for a long while to come.

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
We went & checked it out yesterday. Although I was impressed, not impressed enough. I find myself only wanting it so I can have something shiny & new. BUT I have to admit I was even more impressed with Samsung's S5. I'm not a big touchwiz fan, but that is a very sweet device. Pictures were UNREAL - 16mp camera makes a huge difference. Hopefully HTC is paying attention & will really amp up next year's flagship.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts one week in:

- quality hardware and build (comparable to Apple)
- beautiful and responsive display
- quality sound
- great battery life
- camera capable of taking some really great shots
- Sense OS neat and tidy Android skin

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

anon(186357)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Galaxy Note 3 running KNOXRAID ROM, I wanted:

• more premium feeling hardware (just can't get over that plastic)
  • similar battery life
  • large feeling screen while reducing overall size
  • a more "native Google" experience

I didn't think it would meet the battery life criteria, but after reading a bunch of reviews online, I was surprised to find how well it did.

So I decided to buy the phone from AT&T, then root and install the GPE firmware. This would give me the gunmetal gray version of the hardware that I wanted, with the Google Play experience.

Rooting and installing went great, and I now have an amazing "stock Google" device. I used GravityBox to tweak the heck out of it, slimming down the software navigation buttons to take up less screen real estate, and configuring it so that I don't ever need to use the power button to turn it on or off.

I'm about 24 hours in, so here are my comments:

• Battery life is better than I expected. I'm at 81% with WiFi/Bluetooth enabled after 9 hours use (1 hour screen on time).
  • The phone without a case is beautiful, but way too slippery. I'm anxiously awaiting for a nice minimal grippy case to arrive in the mail.
  • The screen beats the Note 3's in sharpness (especially with the subpixel configuration) but I see a lot more color banding in gradients.
  • Speakers are great, especially coming from the Note 3.
  • Bluetooth seems to connect more quickly to my car stereo than the Note 3.
  • This is my first Stock Google OS and I like it a lot more than my experience with TouchWiz and Sense5.

Overall I'm quite happy. I just hope I don't drop it before my case gets here!

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I looked all over and can't get my arrow keys in portrait OR landscape! I'll have to restart the phone to see if that helps.