Share your HTC One (M8) first impressions and personal reviews!

gair1944

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I have had my HTC One M8 for a couple weeks now. This phone has been exceptional! I Love it!

Pro's:
Best Audio (call) Quality I've had. Very clear on both ends of the line, caller and receiver
Front Speakers have been GREAT for my weekly business conference calls
Battery life has yet to let me down. I can easily get through a full day and evening of medium to heavy use.
Sense 6.0 is fairly intuitive and unobtrusive (I came from Motorola Droid Razr Maxx w/Jelly Bean)
FAST. Can I say Fast? Everything opens and closes swiftly and cleanly. Very impressive response
Display is sharp and looks wonderful.
Camera is dramatically BETTER than my former Droid Razr Maxx.I've gotten some really nice shots.
Front facing 'selfie' cam is awesome! I use it way more than I thought I would.
Fits well in my hand, the physical build quality is exceptional!
Photo post-editing features are fun and very cool!
LOVE the double-tap to wake the phone!! Very convenient!

Cons:
Camera tends to overexpose and blows out highlights in high contrast situations or with a lot of direct facing light. But learning how to expose and what to focus on helps a lot!
For some reason, my contact list did not download in its entirety to my bluetooth Car interface (2012 Honda CRV)

I was originally waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S5 to be released. Then this phone arrived at Verizon and when I checked it out, I loved it! I was still wondering if I would like the Galaxy S5 better and the 16mp camera was really seductive. I still had a couple days to exhange/upgrade ...so I could have made the trade to the S5. But after using the HTC One M8, ....it has honestly won me over. Excellent phone! I am very pleased with this phone and have no reservations recommending it.

Last edited:

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
So I got my One M8 yesterday.. Came from a Note 3,and previously had a Note 2,iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, and iPhone 3g. I love this phone so much it's scary. lol. So much better than my Note 3. I personally hated hated hated hated (I could keep writing that word 100 more times) the Note 3's 13mp camera. If it was very sunny out then it was decent, but even the slightest bit of low light and the pics were awful. So the m8's camera is equal during the day, and much better at night, to my Note 3 so I'm fine with it. I love the software a million times more than TouchWiz. Now coming from a note 3 I'm fine with the size. I think it's a perfect size in every way, but again, I had a Note 3. I'm still very nervous not having a spare battery. I never charged my Note, I'd just run it down and swap batteries. Gonna miss that. I've only made a few phone calls, but I do wish the volume was louder while holding it to my head. It is loud on speakerphone, obviously. Overall I'd recommend this device to everyone. So clean and nice, and amazing software. Today is my first real day of starting off with a full charge and seeing how it does. So far I'm 2hrs and 45 min since unplugged and I'm down to 89% with 45 min of screen on time. Not bad so far

I had exactly the same problems with the Note2 camera you had with the Note3.
In bright daylight superb, slightest bit of shadow or low light and it was a dice roll if you'd get anything usable or not.
Slow as hell to take pictures in low light as well and generally resulted in blurry pictures especially if there was any movement.

LCFC Tom

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
So I've had my silver m8 for a few days and boy what a phone. I mean I was coming from a s2 but had used a nexus 7 tablet for everything apart from calls and texts.

Firstly the screen is gorgeous the only annoyance at first was the on-screen buttons but I soon got used to them.

The build quality is awesome. It fits and stays in my hand better than my s2.

Battery life has been pretty good, had a stage where it was chewing through it a bit but found auto sync was the problem. Charging time is really quick as well.

Wasn't sure if BlinkFeed would be useful but I'm using it a fair bit. HTC sense is nice and not really obtrusive at all.

Haven't really used the camera but the few shots I have took looked pretty good but if you scroll in the detail is lacking slightly.

Speed is slightly quicker than the nexus 7 and has not lagged yet.

BoomSound is really good as well.

All in all I'm really inpressed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Speed is slightly quicker than the nexus 7 and has not lagged yet.

Really? My dad has a nexus 7 and my m8 is literally a billion times faster (trust me I've done the calculations). I have an iPad mini retina and my m8 is still faster than that. I don't know how anyone would say it's only slightly quicker than the nexus 7, but that's your opinion so I will respect it. My opinion is they aren't even in the same league, the 801 is really a powerhouse

Posted via Android Central App

ahdez

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
First HTC phone for me.. I had a S3 prior to the M8 and wasn't sure what phone to upgrade too.. I was thinking either the S5, M8, or wait for the iPhone 6...

Ive only had it for a few days but this phone is pretty damn awesome..

The screen looks very good, build quality is amazing, very fast response, speakers are the best of any phone iv heard.

The only complaint I have is why did it have to be so tall? Idk maybe thats just something Im gunna have to get use too coming from a S3. Also the whole LED notifications issue is another thing Im not liking, but I think thats something that can be fixed and will be in the future

Overall im pretty happy with it

emirozmen

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Loving the battery on this thing! This is with moderate usage overall. Wish I could I see the screen on time. Patiently waiting for CM or will try the GPE ROM

Day 3:
Screenshot_2014-04-19-01-34-26_zps0eddbe4d.png

Hint: It keeps getting better everyday.

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I am really enjoying this phone. To me this phone is like no other. Very well made. Feels good in the hand. The Sense on the phone is silky smooth and very fast. Sense 6 is very well made....looks so clean and elegant like. A very welcome change for me coming from Touchwiz on Note 3 . I won't lie I did have doubts about the camera, especially coming from the Note 3, but after using it it's not bad at all. I like it a lot....takes pictures and focuses way faster than my Note ever did. I have had this phone about 4 days so far and I can't put it down. I been caseless the whole time as well and it's something about this phone and using it naked. Debating on buying a case. Really don't want to hide this beauty. Anyways I would recommend this phone to anyone over all other phones.

Posted via my HTC One (M8)

jrsnively1

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I love my new m8, the speakers, the metal, sense, and the screen. I use nova launcher, cause I don't like the home screen though. The only caveats I have is that the camera takes really blurry and bad panoramas, and you cant zoom, and with a case on it feels really thick and heavy, the curvy back doesn't lay flat on tables and feels like i'm holding halve a cylinder most of the time, but still i love this device... looking out for the note 4 though lol.

LCFC Tom

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I love my new m8, the speakers, the metal, sense, and the screen. I use nova launcher, cause I don't like the home screen though. The only caveats I have is that the camera takes really blurry and bad panoramas, and you cant zoom, and with a case on it feels really thick and heavy, the curvy back doesn't lay flat on tables and feels like i'm holding halve a cylinder most of the time, but still i love this device... looking out for the note 4 though lol.

I can zoom just by pressing the volume buttons

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

tomstinson

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Joined the HTC / Android family from an iPhone 4. Second day, so far so good. Like the feel of the phone and particularly the screen size. Phone feels substantial in your hands. Slightly heavy with one hand operation but not a big deal. The phone just felt better in my hand than the S5. I'm learning the differences in settings and how to organize everything. Apps don't seem to be polished quite as well as IOS but not a big deal, just different. Like going between Open Systems Spread Sheets and Excel, they just think different and once you get that behind you its a matter of finding where things are placed. So far, no regrets. A bit of a problem with my car and bluetooth but that's the car being behind behind the times and not being able to "see" bluetooth V4.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I am really enjoying this phone. To me this phone is like no other. Very well made. Feels good in the hand. The Sense on the phone is silky smooth and very fast. Sense 6 is very well made....looks so clean and elegant like. A very welcome change for me coming from Touchwiz on Note 3 . I won't lie I did have doubts about the camera, especially coming from the Note 3, but after using it it's not bad at all. I like it a lot....takes pictures and focuses way faster than my Note ever did. I have had this phone about 4 days so far and I can't put it down. I been caseless the whole time as well and it's something about this phone and using it naked. Debating on buying a case. Really don't want to hide this beauty. Anyways I would recommend this phone to anyone over all other phones.

Thanks for the review.

I was wondering what converts from the Note line would think.

I'm still on the M7 but I think Sense has made leaps in improvements with its last few iterations. Can't wait till the M7 updates to Sense 6

For sure some people try the camera and are underwhelmed. I see more people who are pleasantly surprised once they commit and buy the phone. Nice pics and zoe shots together make for some killer highlights.

Anyway, nice to see people are enjoying the phone

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

BoroughChild

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
As someone whose currently an Note 3 owner. I'm very excited about finally picking up the new HTC One M8 in three more days (T-Mobile).

I've had a short play through with the device, but it was such a great experience to finally see what all the fuss was about. The much - touted duo camera seem to work just fine - despite being just 4MP.

And the design is something which need no introduction, the best design smartphone on the market. I've ask the T-Mobile sales guy, if gun metal black was still in stock and he said, there is one with my name on it. This beauty will be mine Wednesday :)

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
As someone whose currently an Note 3 owner. I'm very excited about finally picking up the new HTC One M8 in three more days (T-Mobile).

I've had a short play through with the device, but it was such a great experience to finally see what all the fuss was about. The much - touted duo camera seem to work just fine - despite being just 4MP.

And the design is something which need no introduction, the best design smartphone on the market. I've ask the T-Mobile sales guy, if gun metal black was still in stock and he said, there is one with may name on it. This beauty will be mine Wednesday :)

I had the Note 3 as well. I sold that and got the One. Don't regret it at all. You to will love it....I have no doubts at all.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
So I got my One M8 yesterday.. Came from a Note 3,and previously had a Note 2,iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, and iPhone 3g. I love this phone so much it's scary. lol. So much better than my Note 3. I personally hated hated hated hated (I could keep writing that word 100 more times) the Note 3's 13mp camera. If it was very sunny out then it was decent, but even the slightest bit of low light and the pics were awful. So the m8's camera is equal during the day, and much better at night, to my Note 3 so I'm fine with it. I love the software a million times more than TouchWiz. Now coming from a note 3 I'm fine with the size. I think it's a perfect size in every way, but again, I had a Note 3. I'm still very nervous not having a spare battery. I never charged my Note, I'd just run it down and swap batteries. Gonna miss that. I've only made a few phone calls, but I do wish the volume was louder while holding it to my head. It is loud on speakerphone, obviously. Overall I'd recommend this device to everyone. So clean and nice, and amazing software. Today is my first real day of starting off with a full charge and seeing how it does. So far I'm 2hrs and 45 min since unplugged and I'm down to 89% with 45 min of screen on time. Not bad so far

When you had the Note 3, did you use the S-pen often? If you did how was it transitioning to a non S-pen device?

Sent from thr Note 3...and yeah, its spectacular.

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine today after dumping my iphone 5s. The small screen was a real hassle for me. Had a HTC Incredible 2 I really liked at one time so Sense wasn't a big switch.
First impressions are a very smooth phone with a fantastic screen. It's a pleasure to hold and use, I thought going to a 5 inch screen would be tough but frankly it felt great even on a belt clip.

Solid well made device that has made a great first impression. I'll update in a few days.

silvra7

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Moving to the one from HTC Droid Incredible to HTC Rezound and with each upgrade HTC definitely is improving the battery life of their phones. However, my Rezound was good in the beginning, two years later... We'll see.

Other than that, great phone and it gets me through the day. Also enjoying the faster charge rate.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson