Sheets is missing the menu bar in the Android app?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

While using Google Sheets through the Android app, is missing the Menu Bar.

Any clue?

Tks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What menu bar are you referring to? If you tap the 3-dot menu button at the upper right, do you get the options you're looking for?

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Sheets is missing the menu bar in android app

I can't find the Menu Bar (Files, Edit, Formula...) In the Google Sheets app for Android.

I'm using an S10e.

Any clue guys?

Tks!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There's no bar on the app. Is there a specific thing you're trying to do for a cell or range of cells that you can't figure out how to do?

May 20, 2020
Visit site
I'm kind of a heavy user.

I heard that I should open the file in the Chrome, so that is the full Sheets.

But, since I have the app installed, it automatically opens through the app.

Anyone knows how to open in Chrome instead of the app, without uninstall it?

Tks again

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm kind of a heavy user.

I heard that I should open the file in the Chrome, so that is the full Sheets.

But, since I have the app installed, it automatically opens through the app.

Anyone knows how to open in Chrome instead of the app, without uninstall it?

Tks again
You could try this. Go to settings - apps & notifications - select Sheets - Advanced - Open by default - Open supported links and select 'Ask every time'.
Screenshot_20200521-102023.jpeg

May 20, 2020
Visit site
I tried that, but it still opens directly in the app. I also restart the phone, but it still doesn`t work.

The best way was if the Sheets App works like the Chrome version, with the Manu Bar (File, Edit, Insert,...), I tried the work around by open the file in Chrome, but I didn`t figure out how.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try uninstalling the Sheets app (I don't think it's preinstalled). Then see if you can open a Sheets link within Chrome. It might still force you to install the app, though.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Yep, you are right. It forces me to install the app.

I'm trying to use Samsung Dex as my laptop, but this Sheet limitation won't let me.

I could use Office, but my company is Google based. And, it is hard to understand that I'm finding problem in a Google app....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've seen this kind of limitation before in other Android app versions of Google services. Unfortunately, there isn't always a workaround for it.:-\

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh man, this thread got me curious and I tried to find a way to open Sheets in a browser. It didn't matter what I tried (clearing defaults, using a direct link in Chrome, starting from Drive, you name it) the file always opens with the app. It must be some kind of limitation in Android.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
I just did it! If you use Opera and open the browser as a laptop style, it will works fine!!

I think it is a very common doubt, if you guys could get this information available to others, I think it will help.

Geoff Fox

Jun 11, 2022
Visit site
I know this is an old post, however there is a alternative way ...

1. Open Sheets app on android
2. Select spreadsheet to edit
3. Click hamburger (top right)
4. Share and export
5. Copy link
6. Open Chrome browser
7. Paste link
8. Enjoy ...

Geoff

Karen Norton1

Jun 18, 2018
Visit site
I know this is an old post, however there is a alternative way ...

1. Open Sheets app on android
2. Select spreadsheet to edit
3. Click hamburger (top right)
4. Share and export
5. Copy link
6. Open Chrome browser
7. Paste link
8. Enjoy ...

Geoff

Thanks for posting this. I was able to open a sheet in Chrome following your instructions but I can't edit the spreadsheet. When I click on the pencil to edit the sheet it asks if I want to use the app instead. When I click "no thanks" it just goes back to the spreadsheet in read mode. I followed your instructions but maybe I missed something. Are you able to edit the sheet? If so do you have to do something else to make it work? This is so incredibly frustrating. I tried this with the Edge browser (Microsoft) but it just opened the Sheets app. I'm about to install Opera.

Alternatively is there a way to create macros in the app? I haven't been able to find a way and every post I find that mentions doing macros on Android mentions using Chrome instead but the posts are old so maybe editing sheets could be done on Chrome at one point but not now?

I'm on Android 10 if that makes a difference.