Should I buy an new android tablet now or wait

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Nexus 7 that was manufactured by ASUS that is getting close to the end of it's usefulness and would like to know if I should buy a new one now or wait for something better? My problem is this...... The tablet itself only has 16 GB of memory and as upgraded the OS up to Android 5.1.1 the system has become slower and slower to the point where applications seem to freeze and clearing the cache doesn't make things better. I liked the idea of having a device that I could upgrade to the latest OS without having to wait on a vendor to release their version of the OS so I was hoping that an upgraded version of the Nexus 7 would be available but from the internet it appears that any future Nexus 7 tablet is some time off into the future. I can still limp along with my Nexus 7 but I'm wondering if it is worth it? If the time to move forward is now vs. later what model tablet would be the recommended one to buy?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only comparable tablet to that one is the Nvidia Shield Tablet - which is a very good one that I can strongly recommend. The Nexus 9 is quite a bit bigger but also pretty decent. As far as I know, there are no major new tablets coming out although there was a rumor about a Huawei Nexus 7 this fall. No clue if that's real or not though.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What Nexus do you have? If it's the older model the update has slowed it down. You have to back to 4.4.4 go regain speed.

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
You should either downgrade back to KitKat, or load a custom rom. Lollipop completely ruined the usefulness of the 2012 Nexus 7.

anon(5597702)

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Root the 2012 N7 and install the unofficial Cyanogenmod 11 (Kitkat) w/ security updates -- posted on the XDA forums. Will revive the tablet and keep it secure.

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
What Nexus do you have? If it's the older model the update has slowed it down. You have to back to 4.4.4 go regain speed.

Thanks for the reply. Given that I know nothing about how to back level a Nexus back to 4.4.4 can you point to some instructions on how I might go about accomplishing this task? Thanks.

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, Google IO came and went with no announcement regarding a new Nexus 7 tablet so last night I game up and rolled my Nexus 7 (2012) back from Lollipop to KitKat 4.4.4. Wow what a difference! Before it would take forever for the device to be ready after a boot and then apps wouldn't launch or hang for no apparent reason and everything ran like a slug. By going back to KitKat it's like a new tablet where everything is fast and I've had no apps hang on me. I had a bit of a problem with Windows 10 ADB drivers not being installed but I solved that and the rollback when off smoothly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novigator