Should I use an alcohol bath


Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
So my HTC One got submerged in toilet water. I tried the rice trick and it seemed to help and now the phone works fine except for the random " has crashed" and "htc service pack has stopped" errors and my phone has some battery issues (I think its the battery). When I first tried my phone after the rice, I used it for about 3 hours and it went from 100% to about 70% with no problem so it seemed like everything was fine. Now for some reason, whenever I try using my phone for more than 1 minute out of the charger, it will die on me. And when I say die, I don't mean show the HTC Logo as if the battery just drained. It dies as in blacks out with no warning. When I try turning it on, it doesn't show me anything, not even that its dead. When I plug it in to charge, it ends up at 0%, whether it had 5% beforehand or 100%. I was told that my phone is most likely broken for good. Would an alcohol bath work in this case? If not what will? Also, my phone seems to charge faster than usual, almost double the speed. Thanks in advance.


Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You could have put it into alcohol as soon as you got it out of the toilet and removed the battery (which, with the HTC One, means breaking the back off and unplugging the battery), but by now, whatever started going bad has started going bad and alcohol isn't going to fix it. Alcohol just prevents things from going bad (it adsorbs the water [that's not a typo - adsorb, not absorb] and washes all the metallic and other conductive and etchant impurities from the water out of the phone). Next time, dump it into alcohol as soon as you get it out of the water and get the battery out of it. (Next phone, I mean - this one will probably die completely in another week or so.)

Leaving the battery in a wet phone is a sure way to kill it, which is why you'll never catch me with a phone with a non-removable battery. Current flows and parts get electroplated with metal that should be in other parts of the phone, even when the phone is turned off, if the battery is still connected.

Read Wet Phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Latest member