Sideloading Error 21 Signature Verification Failed

BugAC

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Title says it all. I've read that it's because the bootloader is locked so I won't be able to flash the whole image. But if I unlock the bootloader, won't that wipe all my data? I would like to to see if sideloading can fix my issues (freezing, bootlooping) before going nuclear, which I am very close to doing.

Edit: After the package is verified it returns...

E: footer is wrong Update package verification took 0.1s (result 1). E: Signature verification failed E: error 21

Install from ADB completed with status 2 Installation aborted

BugAC

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Glad to be here.

Sideloading the OS. My Pixel has been crashing constantly for days, which is an improvement over the bootloop it was stuck in prior. I've been following this guide to see if there's a problem with the OS. My understanding is that sideloading sailfish will leave all my preference/apps/etc. in tact.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Glad to be here.

Sideloading the OS. My Pixel has been crashing constantly for days, which is an improvement over the bootloop it was stuck in prior. I've been following this guide to see if there's a problem with the OS. My understanding is that sideloading sailfish will leave all my preference/apps/etc. in tact.
No it most likely wipe as a Factory Reset

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can't sideload the OS, that requires an unlocked bootloader and, yes, unlocking the bootloader will wipe the phone. See Backing up an Android Device. If you can back everything up, then do so, save the backup off the phone (Google Drive, a PC or laptop, somewhere else, because the backup will get wiped too), then flash sailfish. In the future, to flash the whole thing without wiping the phone, open the .bat or .sh file (depending on whether you're running Windows or MacOS/Linux) and remove the -w from the last fastboot line (-w is "wipe the phone").

And leave the bootloader unlocked - in case you have to do it again some day. (Unfortunately October was the last update - that's how you get updates faster. Either download the update and sideload it, or download the factory image and flash it.)

BugAC

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
I just tried from another PC. The process initiated, but would fail with "adb: failed to read command: no error" Switching from an aftermarket USB C to A cable to the stock one fixed the issue. So, adb successfully completed the install, reported back status 0. Not sure what that's all about but it would appear my bootloader is unlocked?

I'm testing the system right now for stability. Will report back with further updates.

BugAC

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Sideloading has not fixed my issues (random system hangs, reboots). I even sideloaded a second time. As stated earlier, adb reports back "install from adb completed with status 0"

I've noticed that after a reboot my Pixel will report varying battery percentages. It read 91%, froze, rebooted automatically, and then reported 86%. I don't know if the battery is causing an issue or if this is normal behavior.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts