Sim detected - still no service

TPuck

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I have an ATT Samsung Galaxy Mega i527, when I put my sim card in i get the circle with the line through it and i am unable to make phone calls, use data, and it says mobile network not available. I can connect to Wifi no problem. When i take the sim card out i can get 4 bars but only make emergency calls. The IMEI is good, running 4.4.2, I don't get the "no sim detected" error it just doesn't have service.

I tried the 3g and LTE ATT apn settings and restarted the phone still nothing. Its an ATT sim and an ATT phone - I've used that sim card in an S4 and an S4 active with no problem.

device status: official

I dled Root Checker to make sure it wasn't rooted. Its not.

I went to device info from *#*#4636#*#* and tried to run a ping test - Ping IPAddr comes back as failed, ping hostname and http client test passed. GSM service - emergency calls only and GPRS is disconnected.

Ive turned the radio off/on and restarted

PLEEEAASSEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bring the phone to your nearest T&T store. If thy can't help you at the store, ask where the nearest Device Support Center is. (Don't be surprised if it's in the back of that store, and they just didn't think of it. "Think" is an alien concept to some of them.)

It could be a bad SIM card (in which case, AT&T replaces it free) or it could be a hardware failure in the phone (which, if it's not under warranty, may be cheap or expensive to repair, depending on whether the failure is somethng as simple as a bad contact on the SIM port or something as bad as a bad motherboard).

In any case, if you don't already have every important file on the phone backed up on another device (and a cloud account, really), make a backup before bringing the phone in. (Anything you don't want to lose should be backed up. If you drop the phone and a bus rides over it, all the data in the phone is permanently gone.)

TPuck

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Ive used the sim card in an S4 Active since yesterday and it works fine.

When there is no sim card i get the no sim card prompt, and when its in i don't. so makes me think it is reading the sim card. Everything looks physically ok with the sim tray.

When the sim is out of the phone i will get bars but can only make emergency calls. I was able to change the preferred network type and ill get bars as well, with the sim in, but still can only make emergency calls.

Could it be a software issue?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure there hasn't been some error with your account and that it's in good standing? Maybe try cleaning out the sim slot with compressed air, and gently rubbing the sim card with a pencil eraser to get any dirt particles off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatJimmy