Since Android 10 update, problem with either Quickpic or Camera

DSperber

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
I don't know where to post this question for help, so I'll start here. If anyone can assist or re-direct me to some other forum or sub-forum on the Internet which is more appropriate, I would appreciate it.

Since installing the Android 10 update two days ago on my Samsung S10 (Verizon is the carrier), there has been a very strange malfunction of Quickpic (5.0.0) when presenting the scollable 3-column matrix of thumbnails (about 3x5 on the screen at one time) for pictures in a folder, but ONLY WITH QUICKPIC, AND ONLY FOR THOSE NEW PICTURES TAKEN IN THE PAST TWO DAYS SINCE ANDROID 10.0, taken by Samsung Camera (10.0.00.68). The problem does NOT occur for older pictures taken before Android 10.0 went in. And I can copy external photos to a folder and they also have their thumbnails rendered normally. It's only for newly taken pictures.

For pictures taken in the past two days these thumbnails seem to "stop rendering" after getting only about 10% complete. The remaining 90% of the thumbnail is black. For all older pictures the thumbnails are rendered normally and 100% completely, just as they've always been. If I copy a picture (from anywhere else) into a folder on the phone, its thumbnail is again rendered normally and 100% completely. So again this only seems to be an issue somehow relating to newly taken pictures by Samsung Camera app since Android 10 went in.

Now when tapping on these "defective thumbnails" to display them, they open initially looking just as defective as the thumbnail does, namely with the top 10% visible and the bottom 90% black. But then (kind of like with a progressive JPG) the remaining black 90% now gets rendered fully (in blocks, one block at a time, until it's done) over the next few seconds, and at the end I'm now seeing 100% of the complete picture.

If I scroll to the next or previous image, the same block-rendering happens to each picture which corresponds to a defective thumbnail (i.e. a picture taken in the past two days after Android 10.0 update). If I come back to a picture previously block-rendered into 100% visibility, it is once again block-rendered (i.e. the original complete rendering has been lost, and needs to be done again every time it's to be displayed fully). And if I go BACK to the 3x5 thumbnails the currently 100% completely rendered image GOES BACK TO ITS 10%/90% defective presentation as a thumbnail, kind of reverse-blocking back to the defective thumbnail!!

Again, this only occurs for newly taken pictures from the Samsung Camera app since Android 10, as viewed with Quickpic. The problem DOES NOT AFFECT ANY OTHER GALLERY APP which shows thumbnails, so that standard Samsung Gallery works perfectly, as well as Simple Gallery Pro (v.6.6.5 Pro), in that the thumbnails of these same pictures taken in the past two days are presented by those apps not as defective 10/90 but are 100% normal. So it doesn't seem to be a problem in the actual JPG as created by Samsung Camera since these other apps have no problem. It's only something in the way Quickpic handles these new JPG's (not old JPG's) which induces the 10/90 symptom in thumbnails.

Also MyFiles shows its own small thumbnails of these same 2-day pictures perfectly. And if I tap on them to display, and select Quickpic, they present perfectly normally 100% complete. It's only when Quickpic itself starts from its own 3x5 matrix of defective thumbails for these 2-day pictures, that the symptom of defective thumbnails and block-rendering to display fully occurs.

And once again... only for these pictures taken by Samsung Camera since Android 10.0 went in. Older pictures (also taken by Samsung Camera, like just a day before) and external pictures, all present perfect thumbnails and render instantly when tapped to display fully and when scrolling through them.

Here is what the first two "pages" 3x5 thumbnails look like, with most newly taken. These are the ones that display as 10/90 in their thumbnails. At the bottom of the second 'page" we now begin to see "normal" (i.e. pictures older than 2 days) taken before Android 10.0.

Ikk6ul.jpg

9tVCfu.jpg

Anybody have any ideas? Although I've been using Quickpic for years, there seems to be some kind of incompatibility here perhaps with the new output of Samsung Camera (which maybe was also updated with Android 10.0, or perhaps if not maybe it should have been), which does not affect any other Gallery app. I've just installed Simple Gallery Pro and it actually is more function-rich (for folder/file browsing which is all I need it for) than Quickpic, so I'm just about to uninstall Quickpic. I quite like Simple Gallery Pro.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Just went to the play store and it tells me none of my devices are compatible. I have an S10 running Android 10 so compatibility is the issue. BTW this app is from Cheetah Mobile. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole as they are well-known for their shady practices

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just went to the play store and it tells me none of my devices are compatible. I have an S10 running Android 10 so compatibility is the issue. BTW this app is from Cheetah Mobile. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole as they are well-known for their shady practices
I figured it was a compatibility issue and I agree.... wouldn't touch it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

^^ This.

I'd recommend you to uninstall it, as well, and use a different gallery app. The best way to uninstall this kind of app is going to settings - apps & notifications - select QuickPic - force stop - clear defaults - clear storage and only then uninstall.

DSperber

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
Thanks all.

I've gone ahead and uninstalled QuickPic.

Not a problem, as I like Simple Gallery Pro better anyway, because of its additional features (like include/exclude folder, among others) and capabilities which makes things much more manageable when you have hundreds of folders containing images.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
QuickPic used to be about the best picture display app out there (better than Gallery), but since Cheetah bought them, that's all they are, a data-gathering company (and they don't use the data they gather nicely, like Google). There was a big stink about 2 years ago, then it died down. (Pressure behind the scenes?)

DSperber

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
Well, guess what?

I noticed there was a new thread that just got started here, regarding issues with Camera 10.0.0.68 and Android 10, or so was the complaint. One contribution said there was a 10.0.0.72 version, but there's seemingly no way to get that from Googleplay store if it actually exists. Certainly my S10 phone has 10.0.0.68 and no updates are available.

I had uninstalled QuickPic the other day, but shortly after I saw that it still showed as "installed" on the Googleplay web site. Maybe it just takes time to reflect the uninstalled nature. Or perhaps this was because of the particular way I'd uninstalled it. Certainly showed as uninstalled on my phone, just not up on the web. However it still showed up in "Library" on my phone even if it's not 'Installed", as I hadn't removed it from there. Maybe that explains it.

Anyway, I had talked to a friend today (who has an S10e) who I'd convinced when she got the phone to install QuickPic. And for her, she has not seen any issue on her S10e since update to Android 10, with pictures being taken by Camera (also 10.0.0.68) and then displayed by QuickPic (also 5.0.0). So just on a flyer, I decided to re-install QuickPic again on my phone, starting from the "Library" item.

The reinstall began, with what looked like a brief "downloading" (so maybe a fresh copy of the installer was retrieved, but presumably identical to what already was present). And then the product was in and usable.

And, quite surprisingly, THERE WAS NO LONGER A THUMBNAIL RENDERING ISSUE!! Everything was back to normal on the very recent pictures just taken with Camera since Android 10 went in a few days ago. No more 10/90 thumbnail problem for these new pictures. They were now once again 100% normal.

So perhaps there was some "corruption" in the program's data or cache or something which caused the issue I reported here, which automatically got cleansed and corrected when I fully deleted all data etc. first, as part of my uninstall sequence. Certainly starting over just now from a scratch reinstall seems perfect once again.

I know nobody seems to like Cheetah Mobile, but quite frankly I honestly do prefer the thumbnail presentation (of pictures in a folder) of QuickPic to the thumbnail presentation of Simple Gallery Pro. There is a slightly thicker black background bleeding through surrounding each thumbnail (because the thumbnails are ever so much slightly smaller with QuickPic so that more of the background surround shows), which makes each thumbnail stand out better. With Simple Gallery Pro the thumbnails are essentially right up against each other, so one abuts the one right next to it which makes the edges of both indistinguishable.

Images-in-a-folder thumbnails with QuickPic:

u5aTXD.jpg

Images-in-a-folder thumbnails with Simple Gallery Pro:

PlR5oa.jpg

It just looks cleaner with QuickPic, with each thumbnail clearly and uniquely visible. Also, there seems to be a bit more contrast in the image rendering by QuickPic, making the thumbnails "better". Just looks better to me.

I also investigated the "Browse" settings in QuickPic, and discovered that sure enough there is an INCLUDE/EXCLUDE ability here that I was unaware of until just now. So in fact I can actually do the same thing with QuickPic that I thought made Simple Gallery Pro uniquely superior in this regard.

I confess, since the defective thumbnail issue is now gone, I've reverted back to using QuickPic as my default image viewer again. I still have Simple Gallery Pro installed and usable, but QuickPic will once again be on my home screen to view pictures. Now that I know how to EXCLUDE folders with QuickPic this is no longer a usability consideration.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, guess what?

I noticed there was a new thread that just got started here, regarding issues with Camera 10.0.0.68 and Android 10, or so was the complaint. One contribution said there was a 10.0.0.72 version, but there's seemingly no way to get that from Googleplay store if it actually exists. Certainly my S10 phone has 10.0.0.68 and no updates are available.

I had uninstalled QuickPic the other day, but shortly after I saw that it still showed as "installed" on the Googleplay web site. Maybe it just takes time to reflect the uninstalled nature. Or perhaps this was because of the particular way I'd uninstalled it. Certainly showed as uninstalled on my phone, just not up on the web. However it still showed up in "Library" on my phone even if it's not 'Installed", as I hadn't removed it from there. Maybe that explains it.

Anyway, I had talked to a friend today (who has an S10e) who I'd convinced when she got the phone to install QuickPic. And for her, she has not seen any issue on her S10e since update to Android 10, with pictures being taken by Camera (also 10.0.0.68) and then displayed by QuickPic (also 5.0.0). So just on a flyer, I decided to re-install QuickPic again on my phone, starting from the "Library" item.

The reinstall began, with what looked like a brief "downloading" (so maybe a fresh copy of the installer was retrieved, but presumably identical to what already was present). And then the product was in and usable.

And, quite surprisingly, THERE WAS NO LONGER A THUMBNAIL RENDERING ISSUE!! Everything was back to normal on the very recent pictures just taken with Camera since Android 10 went in a few days ago. No more 10/90 thumbnail problem for these new pictures. They were now once again 100% normal.

So perhaps there was some "corruption" in the program's data or cache or something which caused the issue I reported here, which automatically got cleansed and corrected when I fully deleted all data etc. first, as part of my uninstall sequence. Certainly starting over just now from a scratch reinstall seems perfect once again.

I know nobody seems to like Cheetah Mobile, but quite frankly I honestly do prefer the thumbnail presentation (of pictures in a folder) of QuickPic to the thumbnail presentation of Simple Gallery Pro. There is a slightly thicker black background bleeding through surrounding each thumbnail (because the thumbnails are ever so much slightly smaller with QuickPic so that more of the background surround shows), which makes each thumbnail stand out better. With Simple Gallery Pro the thumbnails are essentially right up against each other, so one abuts the one right next to it which makes the edges of both indistinguishable.

Images-in-a-folder thumbnails with QuickPic:

View attachment 315186

Images-in-a-folder thumbnails with Simple Gallery Pro:

View attachment 315187

It just looks cleaner with QuickPic, with each thumbnail clearly and uniquely visible. Also, there seems to be a bit more contrast in the image rendering by QuickPic, making the thumbnails "better". Just looks better to me.

I also investigated the "Browse" settings in QuickPic, and discovered that sure enough there is an INCLUDE/EXCLUDE ability here that I was unaware of until just now. So in fact I can actually do the same thing with QuickPic that I thought made Simple Gallery Pro uniquely superior in this regard.

I confess, since the defective thumbnail issue is now gone, I've reverted back to using QuickPic as my default image viewer again. I still have Simple Gallery Pro installed and usable, but QuickPic will once again be on my home screen to view pictures. Now that I know how to EXCLUDE folders with QuickPic this is no longer a usability consideration.
Here's the Samsung APK , download and see if it will install

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu...msung-camera-10-0-00-72-android-apk-download/

DSperber

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
But in retrospect, I now don't think there was anything wrong with Camera (10.0.0.68) in the first place. Yes, there was clearly something corrupted about the way QuickPic was operating on newly taken pictures since Android 10, but I now believe the issue was with QuickPic, not with anything different in the pictures themselves.

Of course I can't explain how/why QuickPic would pick on just these newest pictures from the same Camera app and run normally on all older ones, but that does appear to be the definition of the issue.

Anyway, it's all back to normal since the uninstall and now full reinstall of QuickPic in the Android 10 environment. I'll just wait until that Camera update becomes available through normal channels.

thanks

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But in retrospect, I now don't think there was anything wrong with Camera (10.0.0.68) in the first place. Yes, there was clearly something corrupted about the way QuickPic was operating on newly taken pictures since Android 10, but I now believe the issue was with QuickPic, not with anything different in the pictures themselves.

Of course I can't explain how/why QuickPic would pick on just these newest pictures from the same Camera app and run normally on all older ones, but that does appear to be the definition of the issue.

Anyway, it's all back to normal since the uninstall and now full reinstall of QuickPic in the Android 10 environment. I'll just wait until that Camera update becomes available through normal channels.

thanks
Glad everything back to normal

DSperber

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
Well, spoke too soon. Clearly there is something wrong with QuickPic 5.0.0 and Android 10 insofar as pictures taken by Camera 10.0.0.68.

Was at a restaurant tonight and took some pictures. Remarkably the old 10/90 "mostly black" symptom presenting thumbnails but only for newly taken camera pictures and not for any old camera pictures returned, for these new pictures.

uDN2nm.jpg

I tried to just "delete cache" but couldn't fix things. Maybe I should have also done the more extreme "delete data", which I will try the next time this recurs. But for now I simply then uninstalled the app, and then reinstalled it (from Googleplay "library", which triggered a complete re-download and probably a deletion of previous data). And now once again, like the other day, the program returned to normal behavior again.

7TaCUH.jpg

Seems like there's going to be a guaranteed return in the near future of this symptom, I will give "delete data" a try instead of the full uninstall/reinstall. But I suspect that either aproach will delete all of the "excluded folders" so that I will have to repeat the process of excluding all of these no matter which way I deal with the defective thumbnail issue.

Note that I'm actually excluding MOST of my picture folders, choosing to display only a few dozen. So I can pretty easily do a "select all" from the folder view, to put a check mark on each one and enter "check mode". Then I just have to un-check the few dozen I want to see. So it's not a terrible effort, but it does likely have to be redone no matter what solution is used to overcome the thumbnail issue.

I suppose it's pointless to try and communicate (feedback) with Cheetah Mobile by email.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would uninstall anything that Cheetah had anything to do with. I don't trust them one bit .
As mentioned in Posts #4 and #5 by Javier P
of how to do it.

Apps & Notifications - select QuickPic - force stop - clear data - clear cache and only then uninstall.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Been running Android phones for over ten years and I wouldn't touch anything put out by Cheetah Mobile with a 10 foot pole.

BTW, been running Android for over ten years and running cellphones for nearly thirty years. I'm not new to cellphones and not new to Cheetah Mobile's reputation.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, spoke too soon. Clearly there is something wrong with QuickPic 5.0.0 and Android 10 insofar as pictures taken by Camera 10.0.0.68.

Was at a restaurant tonight and took some pictures. Remarkably the old 10/90 "mostly black" symptom presenting thumbnails but only for newly taken camera pictures and not for any old camera pictures returned, for these new pictures.

View attachment 315350

I tried to just "delete cache" but couldn't fix things. Maybe I should have also done the more extreme "delete data", which I will try the next time this recurs. But for now I simply then uninstalled the app, and then reinstalled it (from Googleplay "library", which triggered a complete re-download and probably a deletion of previous data). And now once again, like the other day, the program returned to normal behavior again.

View attachment 315351

Seems like there's going to be a guaranteed return in the near future of this symptom, I will give "delete data" a try instead of the full uninstall/reinstall. But I suspect that either aproach will delete all of the "excluded folders" so that I will have to repeat the process of excluding all of these no matter which way I deal with the defective thumbnail issue.

Note that I'm actually excluding MOST of my picture folders, choosing to display only a few dozen. So I can pretty easily do a "select all" from the folder view, to put a check mark on each one and enter "check mode". Then I just have to un-check the few dozen I want to see. So it's not a terrible effort, but it does likely have to be redone no matter what solution is used to overcome the thumbnail issue.

I suppose it's pointless to try and communicate (feedback) with Cheetah Mobile by email.
We get a lot of threads asking for help with Cheetah Mobile apps and all people that contacted them told us that they never had a reply to fix the issue. Cheetah Mobile is not in the app business, their business is to get and sell as much of your personal data as they can using their apps to mine it.

Most of us unInstalled QuickPic when CM bought it and never used it again, so it's not going to be easy to help you with that issue. As you can see there's almost a consensus of what to do with QuickPic and similar apps and I think that bug you're having is the least of the problems while using it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail