Sleep issues on new Moto X Pure

richfei

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My new Moto X Pure isn't going to sleep through the night. So after plugging in overnight and checking in the morning, the battery is at 50%. One time it was drained. I have an older Moto X 2nd gen and it doesn't exhibit these problems

I did a factory reset to bring it back to stock and wiped the cache. I've changed sleep to 15 seconds from 5 min and made sure there are no open apps running before plugging in for the night. It's on Marshmallow with latest updates and it's not rooted

A google search indicates some problems with moto assist or spotlight. But I don't have any of these open or active.

My temporary fix is to install some battery/sleep app such as DS Battery, Purify or Greenify but that's just a band aid. I want to find out what is happening from stock that is causing this. Are there any known background apps from stock that are causing this ? I can go individually into each app and close notifications. Perhaps an app is keeping the display on longer than it should. I don't know

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you plugging the charger into an AC outlet or a USB port on a PC overnight?

Have you tried an app such as Gsam to see what is happening to keep it from dozing?

richfei

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
There may be something to that
I don't know to describe the screens

When I plug it into the AC outlet overnight, and then I hit the power button to make it go to sleep, if I hover my hand over the phone, I see the black screen with icons to swipe to unlock. Good. But soon afterwards, the phone wakes with my Nova launcher wallpaper display and notifications showing and the Charging message comes up. Not good

When I plug it via a USB cord into an external battery power pack, and I hit the power button to get the phone to sleep and hover my hand, the black screen shows, but the phone doesn't wake up, unless I physically swipe or touch a button. Good. It looks like it stays in sleep and the battery pack is charging it. Good

So the behavior is different when plugged into the AC, even though in both instances, the phone is charging
Is there something in settings to look at to modify to ensure AC charging operates just like Battery charging ?
Is it a problem with the Nova launcher settings ? I looked at Night mode schedule and it's set at Never ?
I can play around some more

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Very odd... But I think this is app related, I use Nova as well and have no sleep issues.

Try booting into Safe Mode, hold power to shutdown, then long-press the Power Off button, it will ask if you want to boot into Safe Mode, then say yes and on the next boot you will be in Safe Mode (no user apps loaded) and see if the problem persists.

richfei

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I turned off the lock screen to begin with
I then put the phone in safe mode

When it's plugged into the AC, if I press the power button to shut the screen down, soon afterwards the screen comes back up within 10-20 seconds (sleep is 5 min)

When it's plugged into the battery pack, if I press the power button to shut the screen down, the screen doesn't come back up. It doesn't matter if I hover my hand over or not or wait or not. The only way it comes back up is if I press the power button again

So AC operates differently

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You may have a rogue app of some kind that is causing this. I have no issues with mine, although, I am using the stock launcher. I'd install Gsam, as Laura suggested, although I *believe* it only gives stats on what is eating your battery "since the last charge".

First, I'd shutdown, clear cache, and reboot.
Then, I'd go through and remove any apps, that you can do without. (You can reinstall, after you test)
Failing resolution with these steps, I'd do a factory reset, and see if it comes back. It just about has to be software related, I'd bet....

richfei

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I can do a factory reset again later, but if I've put this in safe mode and rebooted, wouldn't it mean that it's not an app that's been installed that's causing this ?

richfei

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I figured it out
It's not the phone or the apps
It was the charger
I changed to a different one and the screen is staying off
Damn. Should have checked that to begin with

mycuriouscow

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
So what is it in the charger that's causing it not to sleep?

I have the stock Moto Turbo Charger and noticed recently that when I plug my MXPE in at night, it doesn't fully charge by the time I wake up....it used to.

richfei

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I previously had my charger on a power strip and also used a third party cable which wasn't charging at its peak. I just used the stock charger and cable separately and now it's fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wisak2556