slow android

jhnybgood47

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Droid X when the X2 was about to be released. After about 6 months the phone slowed to a crawl. I reformatted it many times over several weeks as the Verizon sales person suggested and even was given another X. The phone was still slow. I have a windows phone now and am already bored with it. My question is this: does android still do this? Does it still slow after a while? Also does task killer work? I remember people telling me task killer is a must have and others told me it messes up the phone. I know the S4 is fast but will it still be fast after 1 year or 2 years?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Task killer apps are worthless. Phones slow down because you have apps running that sync and run in the background. Android does a great job of managing ram usage, but it's up to you to manage your sync settings.
Another thing to keep in mind, as newer versions of the OS come out with new features, and newer faster devices come out, apps are updated to take advantage of this. Unfortunately, older devices will suffer a performance hit.
All of that said, I don't have any problems with this that aren't solvable.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to tell if the S4 will see that type of slowdown. My impression so far is that it won't (I had an X2 that slowed down to a crawl), but I'm not 100% confident in that. It seems like now there are lots more options for backing up your data more easily so doing a factory reset isn't as big of a deal. Apparently it's a good idea to do one every time you get an OTA update (which I never did with the X2) so that might have been an issue. I did it with my S4 after the last update and the performance on it has been stellar since then.

I agree that the task killer type apps are worthless. I don't think they'll do a lot to slow down your phone, but they almost certainly won't do anything to speed it up.