Slow charge? Use a proper charging cable!

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
The latter. For the phone to enter Fast Charge mode it has to detect that the port isn't a USB data port. Most chargers short the data pins internally so you can use any USB cable. Perhaps the charger you're trying to use doesn't do this, in which case you will need a 'charge only' USB cable.

A couple years ago, when i got my Android tablet, I did some reading about chargers and cables, etc. The consensus I found at the time was that using a charge only cable, versus charge/data cable, would result in a quicker, more efficient charge I found it was a little hard to find the charge only cables, but with some persistent searching on Amazon I did find some. That's all I've used on my tablet, so I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it might be worth considering. By the way, I make sure to label my charging cables so that I don't try to transfer data with one of them.

OzRob

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
A couple years ago, when i got my Android tablet, I did some reading about chargers and cables, etc. The consensus I found at the time was that using a charge only cable, versus charge/data cable, would result in a quicker, more efficient charge I found it was a little hard to find the charge only cables, but with some persistent searching on Amazon I did find some. That's all I've used on my tablet, so I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it might be worth considering. By the way, I make sure to label my charging cables so that I don't try to transfer data with one of them.

Whether the cable makes a difference or not will depend on the source from which you are charging. If it's from a PC USB port, then a charge+data cable will normally charge at 500mA. If you use a charge-only cable in the same USB port, the tablet may ask for more current, but whether the USB port can deliver it or not depends on the implementation of the port - it may, or it may not. If you're trying to charge from a wall charger, in most cases the cable will make no difference at all because the tablet will detect there is no data port available and therefore charge at whatever rate the wall charge is capable of supplying (up to the maximum of 2A).

Ray2371

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
could be a bad charger... not the cable. have a nexus 4 and the first one had a bad charger... would take hours just to go a few percent like you mentioned. they replaced the nexus (because they cant send only a charger, had to be a whole new phone with charger lol), problem solved. there were a number of nexus 4 owners posting about it. didnt trust them and ended up buying an andru charger... quality piece.

the stock g2 charger is really fast! 90 min tops for a full charge and we're talking 3000 mA battery right? hope the charger doesnt go bad like the 4's did.
my andru charger charges at 1A but i dont recall it giving me a low charge icon... will have to look for it next time i use it.
Same problem with lg . You can pull down status bar then long it till the "App info " icon shows up in left lower corner then long press that then force stop that is a temporary fix you can't touch your phone though . It will come back on !! Im going back to basic talk text. The smarter these phones get . The more stupid I get there was a time when i actually had all my important numbers memorized. Not these days with cell phones making things " easier " This computer age is the biggest insult to mankind to date in my opinion. Notice i didn't abbreviate that ? I didn't mind much after all . By now .

Last edited:

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for that insighfull explanation. I have a OEM Htc One M8 charger which, since yesterday, as a defective usb cable resulting in a "Slow Charging" warning. Tested with a different cable and works fine althoug probably slower since it came with an Anker Bluetooth speaker. I also received today a Incipio Car Charger with Quick-Charge 2.0 technology but came without a usb cable. Therefore I neet to buy 2 good micro usb cables but monoprice is a no go since the shipping to Europe is very expensive. Do you know any other alternatives, please?

Cheers

bsmit17

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
My phone say slow charge and I use the cord and adapter that came with my phone. It is really annoying because if i am on my phone and it is plugged in, it will not even stay close to the same percent, so its worthless to charge my phone unless its over night

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried another quality charger and cable ?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My phone say slow charge and I use the cord and adapter that came with my phone. It is really annoying because if i am on my phone and it is plugged in, it will not even stay close to the same percent, so its worthless to charge my phone unless its over night
Mine said that for a while, using stock htc one m8 cable and charger, but then it stopped, don't know why. I think it was software and not hardware related

knitcrochetchick

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
SO THAT IS WHAT IT WAS! I always had this problem, but only with my charger upstairs. After reading the post, I decided if it really was the outlet. So I plugged it into a different outlet in my room and problem solved. Now idea that the outlet was lousy.:D

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine has a faulty micro usb port, going to have it replaced since I sometimes wake up and it didn't charge at all (I have to move the cable).

OPElly

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
I recently had to replace my USB car adapter--one of those plugs that goes into the cigarette lighter and accepts a USB cable. The one I've got is rated 1 amp.

With its predecessor, whose rating I don't know, my Nexus 5x was "charging rapidly." With the new one, it's only "charging"--and usually stops charging altogether after about a minute.

When it stops charging, the battery icon still shows the charger is attached, and although the switch to battery saver is available on the battery charge graph display, nothing happens if it's selected.

Is the low amp rating on the adapter responsible either the slow charging, the peculiar behavior of the phone, or both?

Thanks.