Smaller Android phone??

bikerwoman

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a webOS refugee and while I'm finding my way around Android (these forums are a huge help!) I have to admit I just hate the huge size of these phones. I went from the Pre to a Galaxy S on ATT (Captivate) and while I have X-large hands for a woman, I find the size & shape uncomfortable to use after awhile. I'm used to using the phone one-handed. I tried to pick the "smallest" of the phones available to me but it seems like ergonomics is never considered with these phones. Is there another phone out there that is more comfortable to hold/use? Even the iPhone (ugh!) looks like a more comfortable form factor at this point. I'm still within my 30 day test period and honestly can't find myself being happy with this phone for the next 2 years.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
What about the HTC status? Sorry, but I'd need to look at a list of phones on AT&T to offer any more suggestions...

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I want from a Pre to the Optimus S. Snappy little phone that I liked very much. If you check Craigslist you can find them pretty cheap so you don't have to use an upgrade on it.

I love the OS, and wanted more real estate, so I moved on, but it served me well.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you are still in your 30 days, just go hold every phone at an AT&T store until you find something you like.

But, you might want to just give it some time. It takes time to get used to things, ya know? I bought a 27 inch monitor about a year ago, and, it was almost kinda annoyingly big at first. Pushed it real far back on the desk. Now it just seems normal. My girlfriend felt the exact same way. And my 50 inch TV now seems small, wish I had got a 60 or bigger, hehe.

I have average size hands for a guy, and, my girlfriend has pretty normal sized hands, and, we both find our X2s to be excellent, and, it's a pretty big phone. Honestly, I'd upsize from this 4.3 inch to a 5.0 inch screen in a heartbeat. I think anything beyond that is kinda pushing it though (but then again I thought my X2 would be huge and it's not).

I just looked up the numbers. The Pre isn't much smaller than my X2 or the Galaxy S. They are 0.8 - 1.0 inches longer, but, the Pre was much thicker. So, maybe it's just a matter of adjusting to a new phone. Wikipedia has the dimensions of lots of phones, so, maybe check there to find something similarly sized if you really want to switch. Or just stop in an AT&T store or anywhere else that carries AT&T phones.

Pre:

100.53 mm (3.958 in) (h)
59.57 mm (2.345 in) (w)
16.95 mm (0.667 in) (d)

Galaxy S:

122.4 mm (4.82 in) H
64.2 mm (2.53 in) W
9.9?14 mm (0.39?0.55 in) D

X2:

127.5 mm (5.02 in) H
65.5 mm (2.58 in) W
9.9 mm (0.39 in) D

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Motorola Atrix 4G??

I'm operating mine one-handed right now. Only need two hands for writing input b/c I use Swype. Not quite good enough to do that two-handed.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk using Swype.

bikerwoman

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I went and held a bunch of phones at ATT. Turns out I picked the only one with sharp, square edges. I'll be switching to the Atrix as soon as my local store can get one in. That was my 2nd choice originally but the Galaxy had a better camera & screen.

After seeing a commercial last night with a woman using an Android phone with both hands- 1 to hold, 1 to touch/point, I realized I must just be doing it wrong :p

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I went and held a bunch of phones at ATT. Turns out I picked the only one with sharp, square edges. I'll be switching to the Atrix as soon as my local store can get one in. That was my 2nd choice originally but the Galaxy had a better camera & screen.

Cool!! So glad to hear you worked out which phone you want.

After seeing a commercial last night with a woman using an Android phone with both hands- 1 to hold, 1 to touch/point, I realized I must just be doing it wrong :p

Well, not exactly wrong, it just depends on what you are doing. I use my phone both one handed and two handed. As I said earlier, I don't exactly have large hands, and, my phone is rather large. I have no problem holding it with one hand and using my thumb. I just played a game for an hour while out walking, and, only ever used my right hand (I'm right handed). But, if I am sitting or have the ability to use two hands, I generally prefer to hold my phone in my left hand and point with my right hand's fingers. It obviously enhances your ability to use the phone, but, it's convenient to know how to use both. Also, it's easier to be discreet with one hand if you are trying to be sneaky. ;)

But, I'm sure you'll grow accustomed to your Atrix and be using one, or two hands, in no time!!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
;) It helps to memorize the keyboard layout to facilitate such "sneaky" practices ;) Should also warn about "auto-correct" when you don't pay attention to what you send :D:D:D

Yea, that is essential. How else are you going to text and drive. :eek: Hahaha, Just kidding. It is handy for meetings though. I dunno how I survived them before my smartphone. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teneika lee