Smart Lock Issue

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to smart lock, that's when according to phone:

"Unlock you mobile device without using a screen lock type when trusted locations or other devices have been detected."

Sounds like a cool feature when you use a screen password, but doesn't work when you are using fingerprint password. I set my car's bluetooth device as a trusted device, but what it does is dumb.

It puts a lock screen on the phone that I have to swype up, then it realizes ohh you need finger print to unlock so sometimes phone gives me a black screen or sometimes it acts like its going to unlock then asks for fingerprint. Which is stupid, at least to me this seems like a bug. It shouldn't even allow you to use this feature if you have finger print scanner set up because all it's doing is setting up an extra step that is a waste of time.

anyone else having this problem, I can't even turn off smart lock...

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Found it:

Settings>personal>lock screen and security> Other security> trust agents> Smart Lock

was able to disable smart lock on my phone, was a pain to find it. But if you are using fingerprint scanner and hate the extra step created by smart lock then here is where you can turn it off.

I really wish it would of worked w/ finger print scanner, especially in the car, but oh well.

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have smart lock set to not require a fingerprint when I'm in my home. According to Google maps, the address is correct and yet often times it still requires a fingerprint. I like the concept of this feature and I'm hoping that it tightens up in the near future.

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with the fingerprint and trusted device. The only thing I see it does is if your notifications are set to "Hide content on lock screen", it will show the content. But it definitely still asks for the fingerprint. Seems to defeat the purpose of a "trusted device" especially in the car - which is where i wanted to use it.

potcherboy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, this is happening to me. I just upgraded from a Nexus 5 where the Smart Lock feature worked beautifully. With the S6 it's not only not functioning correctly, but inconsistent. Starting to come to the conclusion TouchWiz might be a deal-breaker for me. It takes all the wonderful things about 5.1 and ruins them.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I used app called llama before...but it's been a long time and not very knowledgeable with all the settings. More someone here with more know how can use it and see if it works and teach us?

Nex2knotN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I used app called llama before...but it's been a long time and not very knowledgeable with all the settings. More someone here with more know how can use it and see if it works and teach us?

Great free app. I used it in the past as it uses cell towers to identify your location and you can set the phone to do a number of things like control the sound, run apps, switch modes, etc. It's basically a location profiler that you can customize a number of settings on your phone base on where you are at automatically.

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I'm having the same problem. I'm using fingerprint and set my car stereo up as a trusted device thru bluetooth. I initially thought it wasn't working too, but read and noticed that when the Smart Lock kicks in, I still have to swipe the screen to open it, but this time I'm swiping it on the bubbly screen view. If I swipe the lock icon, I think that effectively bypasses the Smart Lock and enables my default selected lock screen. Could that be what's happening with the rest of you?

Posted via the Android Central App

djollie111

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. I was frustrated at this, but I just didn't understand the purpose of the lock icon. It's "lock" not "unlock". So basically when a trusted device/location is active, by swiping the lock you are re-securing the phone, effectively overriding the trusted device/location temporarily. :cool:

Swamp-Junkie

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm new to smart lock, that's when according to phone:

"Unlock you mobile device without using a screen lock type when trusted locations or other devices have been detected."

Sounds like a cool feature when you use a screen password, but doesn't work when you are using fingerprint password. I set my car's bluetooth device as a trusted device, but what it does is dumb.

It puts a lock screen on the phone that I have to swype up, then it realizes ohh you need finger print to unlock so sometimes phone gives me a black screen or sometimes it acts like its going to unlock then asks for fingerprint. Which is stupid, at least to me this seems like a bug. It shouldn't even allow you to use this feature if you have finger print scanner set up because all it's doing is setting up an extra step that is a waste of time.

anyone else having this problem, I can't even turn off smart lock...

Yep same problem here, I figured this would easily allow me to use my phone once I get to the car without needing to unlock it. but instead it Basically adds a lock screen for you to bypass then forces me to swipe my finger (which is what we are trying to avoid doing to begin with)
When I first enter my vehicle the voice command hi galaxy wont work until i turn my phone on...which would be easier with out any lock screens. Is this also because of the fingerprint security or? Most people seem to have the ability of voice command without touching their phone.
Phone is galaxy s5.

MybuddyisGod

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Found it:

Settings>personal>lock screen and security> Other security> trust agents> Smart Lock

was able to disable smart lock on my phone, was a pain to find it. But if you are using fingerprint scanner and hate the extra step created by smart lock then here is where you can turn it off.

I really wish it would of worked w/ finger print scanner, especially in the car, but oh well.

Melianor

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Just swipe anywhere on the screen when Smartlock is enabled and don't try to use the lock icon, which will actually lock the screen again and prompt you for your unlock feature.

Totally NOT intuitive at all :)

Hibbert

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Mine is also dodgy. I have it to trust my TV so when im in living room i dont have to use fingerprint.

However i dont know whether it uses bluetooth or wifi (or even NFC) and it work with bluetooth on of off with wifi on or off and with the TV off completely. But sometimes it jus doesnt work at all.

I have no idea how it works and samsung dont give you very much info bout it.

kehnee

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Just swipe anywhere on the screen when Smartlock is enabled and don't try to use the lock icon, which will actually lock the screen again and prompt you for your unlock feature.

Totally NOT intuitive at all :)

That's my main issue with some Android features. Totally NOT intuitive at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2