SMS text message alerts clearing automatically

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

In the last few days, my Verizon Samsung GS6 has developed a problem where SMS message alerts pop up, but seem to clear after about 10 seconds on their own. This seems to be true of the rectangle alerts in the pull-down menu, on the lock screen, and the small icon up on the top bar where the clock, battery, and network indicators are.

When I open the app, the messages are still there.

For 6 to 12 months, I have been using the Google Messages app (blue icon) rather than the stock Samsung Messages app (yellow icon). I went ahead and deleted all texts and deleted Google Messages and started using the stock Samsung one. For a while, some notifications remained persistent, but now they are disappearing again.

I have uninstalled MightyText (which lets me text over the phone from my PC), I have tried turning my Gear watch off. I have not found a pattern yet.

What would cause both SMS Messages apps to auto clear a notification?

Facebook, Gmail, and Hangouts appear unaffected. So I assume nothing else is affected.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if MightyText could still be responsible -- maybe the desktop client is still hooked into your number for SMS, and is making the phone think that the SMS has been viewed. Is there a way to unregister the PC from MightyText? (Sorry if I'm way off base -- I've never used it before.)

Chad_J

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I have an S7 and this just started for me today...possibly yesterday.
I also received a System Update yesterday.
Any luck so far?

devodl

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on my Pixel XL. Message notifications momentarily appear in the notification bar and then disappear.
In addition to MightyText I also had AutoNotification installed to remove the "running in the background" notification. The problem persists once they are both uninstalled and phone rebooted.

Last edited:

Chad_J

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
This fix worked for me - and MightyText still works:
Settings --> Lock Screen and Security --> Other Security Settings --> Notification Access
Untick Mighty Notifications Sync.

This fixed it for me instantly. Mightytext can no longer dismiss my notifications, but I didn't use that much anyway.

Galaxy S7 on Android 7.0

Hope that helps.

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the slow response. Busy week. I blocked notifications in the Chrome desktop app's MightyText extension and the problem ceased on the Samsung SMS app anyway. I haven't reinstalled the Google SMS app yet. Pretty much the desktop version of what Chad_j suggested.

What I don't understand is why this just started after I've had MightyText for a few years without any issues.

devodl

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Context: Pixel XL, apps and data transferred from Samsung Note 4 from Verizon
- SMS Notifications would momentarily appear then disappear.
- Uninstalled MightyText and other SMS related apps

After spending two 45 minutes sessions with some very helpful Google Pixel support people the only alternative left was a FDR (Factory Data Reset, not the past president). After backing up and invoking FDR I chose the "start from scratch" approach instead of using the option to restore apps and data from old phone using USB cable. A couple more hours installing and configuring to get me back to my proper environment.

Good news: SMS Notifications now work properly (with MightyText)
Side benefit: Recovered 3GB of storage consumed by Samsung and Verizon bloatware

Not a "solution" for others but figured I would share what it took to resolve it for me.

Good luck to everyone who is experiencing this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174