Snapdragon 800 Vs Apple A7

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
My posting of benchmark scores was more to show you don't know what you are talking about more then anything else. I had never downloaded 3d mark on my phone prior to running that test. Stop posting complete BS if you are flat out wrong. I do believe the are complete crap. They are software and often manipulated.

I know what I am talking about. And you posted those benchmark scores to show that your N3 beat the 5s in a benchmark. ****-hurt a little?
I haven't posted any BS. Show me where I am flat out wrong. You are right about the scores being manipulated, as Samsung has been caught doing just that very thing.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
My posting of benchmark scores was more to show you don't know what you are talking about more then anything else. I had never downloaded 3d mark on my phone prior to running that test. Stop posting complete BS if you are flat out wrong. I do believe the are complete crap. They are software and often manipulated.

I know what I am talking about. And you posted those benchmark scores to show that your N3 beat the 5s in a benchmark. ****-hurt a little?
I haven't posted any BS. Show me where I am flat out wrong. You are right about the scores being manipulated, as Samsung has been caught doing just that very thing.

If you want to see a smooth experience on the Note 3 just run everything at half resolution.

I sure hope that you don't have to turn it down for it to be smooth.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Um. go read your previous posts.

I also stated that benchmarks in general are bs. That applies to both apple and android, bb, WP.

I wasn't the one making false claims.

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple took a step in the right direction going 64 bit, but they used that as a marketing feature to compensate for all the things they didn't put in their phone..like a bigger, higher res screen, etc. If you want to see a smooth experience on the Note 3 just run everything at half resolution. 4K recording will be helpful once the tv's become mainstream. Monitors already support it. Why didn't Apple go with a higher resolution screen or bigger screen? A lot of people are saying it would have blown everything out of the market if they did this, and if they did that. Well, apparently their flagship device has a faster CPU and GPU and thats about it. I think Apple is in trouble without the guidance of Steve Jobs. But 64 bit is the natural progression of computers so it makes sense for smartphones as well... only thing is IOS isn't really known for an OS which makes better use of 64 bit CPU so Apple probably figured ahead of schedule and figured they'd get developers to start making 64 bit apps and then release a 64 bit phone that can make use of them properly. Pretty smart come to think of it. Currently though, with a better, bigger and badder Note 3 out right now, Apple is looking to probably just maintain their market share until they can put out a monster phone.

Apple isn't afraid of the note. They will not put out a phone with that big of a screen until battery technology catches up. (It's getting there, but still not quite good enough)

Also, as was discussed ad nauseum with the Moto X: bigger screen =/= better phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You keep on believing that. 64-bit apps are already being developed for the 5s, and it will be an asset down the line. When you speak of phones being obsolete within a year, obviously you are speaking of Android phones, as they don't seem to get any more updates after that.
Marketing gimmick? Only because Apple released 64-bit first. Had Samsung done it, it would be a game changer. BTW, Samsung has announced 64-bit for their next phones.:p

Thank you Mavrrick! :thumbup: After reading through dozens and dozens of comments within this topic, you summarized it perfectly, This is something every smartphone user should know by now. At least smartphone "enthusiasts".
And whoever thinks current smartphone technology is "obsolete" within a year, all I can say is http://i.imgur.com/noLulLR.jpg
Stop believing everything you read on the interwebz. This is what the manufacturer's WANT you to believe so you continue to purchase the "latest and greatest" device each year or two. What makes a smartphone "obsolete" in your eyes? When a manufacturer refuses to release the latest OS update? That certainly doesn't make a device obsolete. Especially when most new devices have such small incremental updates from the previous model hardware & software wise. If and when you do upgrade, you're better off waiting 18-24 months anyways. We all know manufacturers don't do this because the technology isn't available, they do this because they're greedy and want to sell more phones. And they know the consumer is addicted to "consuming". I'm not trying to be sarcastic, it's just a ridiculous thing to believe your device is obsolete after a year. My Samsung Fascinate still runs like a top, albeit a tad slower than my S3....yet it still performs every daily computing task I've been performing for years.

The majority of smartphone users perform about a half dozen tasks, give or take, on a regular basis. E-mail, Text, phone calls, internet (which includes web browsing, forum posting, social media, etc), taking photographs and listening to music. Maybe the occasional game. Everything else is basically smoke being blown you know where by the manufacturers, making you think you need an extra gig of ram, 2 more MP for your camera, 50 more dpi resolution, and the list goes on and on. When 5-10 years from now you'll be performing the exact same hand dozen daily tasks that you do today.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology as much as the next guy. Would I like a faster processor, better camera technology, higher dpi and faster data speeds...of course! Is my current Galaxy S3 "obsolete" because it's a year and a half old? Not by a long shot. What do I care if the current iPhone opens up a particular app a fraction of a millisecond faster than my Android?
The fact is, smartphones are about to reach a plateau, and benchmarks on today's smartphones don't mean squat.

tap'n

Considering Apple releases a new device EVERY YEAR, even if there's no significant improvement to the casual user (see Apple's latest release), the previously released iPhone generally loses a little visibility. Sure there are those late adapters that will buy an iPhone that's heavily discounted in order to say they have a "new iPhone". My point is that claiming an iPhone has "future potential" even though it lacks the hardware and apps necessary to fully support 64 bit is like me claiming that my 90 year old grandmother will benefit greatly in the future if the polar ice caps melt because she's learned how to breathe underwater.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
LOL! Great response TXG! (Ya know, I was wondering what those gills on the sides of her neck were for)
:D:D:D
kidding of course! :)
tap'n

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It amazes me how a dual-core 1.3 processor with 1 gb of ram can stay with or beat this beast of a phone.
I am not bashing the N3, but it just doesn't make sense. Evidently, Samsung needs to take a page out of Apple's optimization book. It looks like Moto did just that.

I don't know, as the A7 already beats the 800. I don't know anything about the A7x.

It shouldn't be close in any of them.

Spin it any way that you want. All I know is that the 5s seems to be faster than any Android on the market at this time. And 4gb ram is not needed for all 64-bit functions, and the Galaxy S5 probably won't have 4gb, but will be 64-bit. Will it be a gimmick then?

Huh? What are you talking about?

I could ask you the same thing. What are you talking about. One of the only tests that compare all parts of a phone capabilities across the apple and android platforms shows the S800 and N3 decimating the A7 and 5s. I think the 5s does open web pages fractionally faster but that is not the A7, that is the entire 5s platform. Not what the thread is about.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I could ask you the same thing. What are you talking about. One of the only tests that compare all parts of a phone capabilities across the apple and android platforms shows the S800 and N3 decimating the A7 and 5s. I think the 5s does open web pages fractionally faster but that is not the A7, that is the entire 5s platform. Not what the thread is about.

But Apple doesn't cheat in the benchmark tests. And no, they did not "decimate" the 5s, but they should. They barely beat the 5s, and the 5s beat every other Android phone handily. Samsung just can't optimize like Apple does. Moto is getting the hang of it, though.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually question that a bit. It is my understanding we wouldn't know if they did since they keep certain system functions from being access. Is there a standard app that can tell you about cpu info on the iPhone.

I also don't see running a cpu at its max official clock as cheating. That is how benchmarks for performance have been run for years.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Apple isn't afraid of the note. They will not put out a phone with that big of a screen until battery technology catches up. (It's getting there, but still not quite good enough)

Also, as was discussed ad nauseum with the Moto X: bigger screen =/= better phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Go ahead and check out mkbhd's review of the 5s. Battery life on the Note 3 is better than the 5s. Battery tech is there, Apple just plays everything safe and calls it innovation every year.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I actually question that a bit. It is my understanding we wouldn't know if they did since they keep certain system functions from being access. Is there a standard app that can tell you about cpu info on the iPhone.

I also don't see running a cpu at its max official clock as cheating. That is how benchmarks for performance have been run for years.

You are entitled to your opinion, but just about every website and source that has reported on it has said it is cheating. Really, I don't care if they cheat or not. It just seems that since Apple is basically beating just about every phone in benchmarks, that Android fans are now saying that benchmarks don't matter. :)

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Go ahead and check out mkbhd's review of the 5s. Battery life on the Note 3 is better than the 5s. Battery tech is there, Apple just plays everything safe and calls it innovation every year.

I don't know about trusting anyone that ranks the Note 3 camera the best out there. Where did that come from?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
lol,

Like anybody spend big bucks for a phone, just to run benchmarks every day.

Oh I got 10000!, Lets see yours!

Who cares. Is this what Apple fans hold on too nowadays? Maybe its time to let go the "Apple has to be better" attitude for a change.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pappy always comes in on an apple thread.. Really no other threads really if you notice. You guys just let him get you going.. A troll at his best :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Weaser999

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
You are entitled to your opinion, but just about every website and source that has reported on it has said it is cheating. Really, I don't care if they cheat or not. It just seems that since Apple is basically beating just about every phone in benchmarks, that Android fans are now saying that benchmarks don't matter. :)

On the 3dmark benchmark the 5S is tenth down the list, with primarily Sony and Samsung phones being higher. As for the cheating bit. Running the CPU and GPU at the full rated speed isn't really cheating, it's 'optimizing'. It's not like they are overclocking or changing things.. just letting their CPU run at full speed what it's rated for. It's kinda like saying a 100m dash sprinter is cheating because he or she ran at full speed instead of leaving a bit for reserve. It makes no sense.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
On the 3dmark benchmark the 5S is tenth down the list, with primarily Sony and Samsung phones being higher. As for the cheating bit. Running the CPU and GPU at the full rated speed isn't really cheating, it's 'optimizing'. It's not like they are overclocking or changing things.. just letting their CPU run at full speed what it's rated for. It's kinda like saying a 100m dash sprinter is cheating because he or she ran at full speed instead of leaving a bit for reserve. It makes no sense.

Actually, it was fourth on the list (without cheating).:)
Note 3 won most of the GPU tests, but Apple was close. As far as CPU tests, it was a different story. Apple took basically every one that it was tested in.
Quote from AnandTech: "CPU performance is honestly excellent. The Galaxy Note 3 is more or less the fastest Android smartphone we've tested up to this point. In the situations where we can do cross platform (OS/browser) comparisons, it isn't quite as fast as the iPhone 5s but in some cases it comes close."
So, if you are going to play games, I guess that N3 is better. But for day to day operations, 5s seems better.

AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review

Last edited:

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Pappy always comes in on an apple thread.. Really no other threads really if you notice. You guys just let him get you going.. A troll at his best :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
You know, I am tired of you accusing me of being a troll. What is the big deal if I "come in on an Apple thread" to express my opinion? As far as "trolling" goes, for every one Apple fan that posts on an Android forum, there are fifty Android fans trolling Apple forums.
I have said nothing derogatory about you, and I would appreciate the same respect. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter