So, how are you exiting apps?

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Just curious. I've always used the back arrow to exit apps in my previous samsung phones (S3 and S5).

Doing it this way does leave the app in memory, and you can see it (with the option to close) when you hit the left menu key.

Interestingly, Google Chrome now keeps each tab open, and to close a tab, you now need to use the left menu key. This suggests to me that they want you to use the left menu key to close out apps. Which means the app is no longer in the system memory.

I'm wondering if I should just be using that left menu key to exit out of all apps (not just Chrome tabs). Would this potentially save battery life?

What does AC think?

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I read that with the large RAM of the Note 4 / S6, exiting apps hurts the phone as the CPU needs to work harder each time to reopen them and thus draining the battery more. Just forget about them man

Martin Rios

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Not only that but this phone is more than capable of keeping apps open without loosing speed or getting laggy.

Also if you don't like that google chrome pages go to recent apps you can change the settings on the chrome menu.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I read that with the large RAM of the Note 4 / S6, exiting apps hurts the phone as the CPU needs to work harder each time to reopen them and thus draining the battery more. Just forget about them man

What? That doesn't even make sense to me. I have gotten in the habit of always closing apps, because leaving them in memory is a constant drain vs the initial start up drain.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
What? That doesn't even make sense to me. I have gotten in the habit of always closing apps, because leaving them in memory is a constant drain vs the initial start up drain.

As I understand it, with Android, the app hangs in the background in it's frozen 'state' and then after so long it'll be reduced down more but still floating around in the system and both ways don't use a huge amount of system resources. When you call the app back up it takes less system resources to pull it up from it's frozen or reduced state then a full launch of the application. That's what RAM utilization in the 80%+ range ins't horrible, it means Android is doing it's job and providing a smooth customer experience.

Admittedly most of the stuff I read goes far beyond my basic knowledge of some of the inner workings on how it all works so hopefully something in there makes sense or is remotely correct. :p

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have lost confidence completely in android so called "wonderful and smart app management" system. It produces rogue apps and services all the time and eating battery alive in the background for no reason.

I use pie-control and goto home screen from the app (effectively the same as pressing home button). and I do a fast reboot every time I finish a small session with the phone (just a tap on an icon on screen, pretty easy).