So how many pixels have you returned?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
First pixel 2 had touch response and performance issues. Literally would not do anything at times. Second one was better but still not great. Third one was a newer build and was pretty good.

After the performance issues of the P3 I'm a little hesitant to get another.

fenderdroid

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
my Pixel 1 died after 22 months. bought a Pixel 3 which died in exactly the same manner after 8 days!
Got a swap. fingers crossed.

Both times i was charging whilst using Pocketcasts (QI on the Pixel 3) and they bootlooped for 8 hours!

Now i am superstitious about QI charging whilst listening!

If this one dies i will never get another.

Dec 16, 2018
Visit site
First Pixel 3 fried after 4 months (camera errors, then camera failed completely). Replacement had a terrible tinted screen. Third one still had the tint, just not as noticeable. Sold it and picked up an S10+.

Agree with OP...Pixel has amazing software, but the hardware just ain't there yet. And once you get caught in a return/refurb loop with replacement units - forget about it.

Unfortunately just not forgivable for a phone at this price point. Smart move by Google with the 3a, they'll do much better in the upper/mid segment where they essentially blow the competition out of the water...

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately yes and first one wasn't needed. I replaced my P3XL because of the finicky/unreliable power on after a restart. Turned out this is a trait of all the P3's (I've now had three p3 xl's and one reg p3) as all of mine have done the same...discovered you just have to wait a 15-20 seconds after a power off, then hold down the power button for a good deal of time to power back on). Then the replaced p3 had issues, so they replaced it again, this time it definitely had a hardware issue, wouldn't charge. Now the third one seems ok, but has had battery drain issues from time to time (just for no apparent reason drains significantly in a short period of time...battery stats show no unusual activity/apps causing it).

Google wants to replace it AGAIN with another refurb. At what point will they replace with new? Seems, never.

Wish I had never replaced that first one but I honestly thought it was a defect.

Brigitte Laskowski

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I don't have a Pixel 2 XL but I do have a Pixel 1 XL. I had to send it back to Google and they replaced it. The second Pixel 1 XL never had the same battery power and as soon as Android Pie was downloaded onto my Pixel 1 XL, the battery died and was never able to hold a charge longer than 1 minute from 100 percent. Today I just keep my Pixel constantly plugged in and use it only as a WiFi phone at home and now have Android Q beta OS on it. I have an Essential Ph-1, with on Android P OS, as my daily driver.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
For those of you that have had their older phones die, do you know the best way to discard of it? I've still held on to mine as I didn't feel secure to throw it away since it technically still has my information in it. Can't factory reset when you have a dead motherboard...

Suggestions?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
For those of you that have had their older phones die, do you know the best way to discard of it? I've still held on to mine as I didn't feel secure to throw it away since it technically still has my information in it. Can't factory reset when you have a dead motherboard...

Suggestions?

Wrap it in an old towel and get your frustrations out by smashing it into pieces with a hammer...... the bigger the better ;-) You just want to be sure you break up the memory modules, you don't need to go crazy hitting it as hard as you can, you just need to make sure you turn it into little pieces. Kinda like tenderizing meat or crushing up whole garlic.

That's what I do with old hard drives that die..... I take out the platter (disc), and use the towel treatment to break it up so nobody can get any info off of it. It's fun :p

It may seem a little excessive to some, but I've already had my identity stolen once and won't be going through that again. Plus peace of mind is a wonderful thing :)

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Wrap it in an old towel and get your frustrations out by smashing it into pieces with a hammer...... the bigger the better ;-) You just want to be sure you break up the memory modules, you don't need to go crazy hitting it as hard as you can, you just need to make sure you turn it into little pieces. Kinda like tenderizing meat or crushing up whole garlic.

That's what I do with old hard drives that die..... I take out the platter (disc), and use the towel treatment to break it up so nobody can get any info off of it. It's fun :p

It may seem a little excessive to some, but I've already had my identity stolen once and won't be going through that again. Plus peace of mind is a wonderful thing :)

Any deeper issues you want to talk about there? jk ;)

It's a shame, since I bought the phone I've kept it in pristine brand new condition, not a scratch or dent on it anywhere, and now the irony is that by my own hands I will reduce it to atoms. :\

Well, on the bright side, I've never opened up a phone before so this will be a first. Going to miss that blue color. :(

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Any deeper issues you want to talk about there? jk ;)

It's a shame, since I bought the phone I've kept it in pristine brand new condition, not a scratch or dent on it anywhere, and now the irony is that by my own hands I will reduce it to atoms. :\

Well, on the bright side, I've never opened up a phone before so this will be a first. Going to miss that blue color. :(

Unfortunately it has no value except to you..... but I completely understand where you're coming from, my phones always literally look like new. Fortunately I've never had a modern smartphone phone fail, just a very old Nokia before smartphones were around, and it was the battery that was failing so I was able to wipe it before I tossed it into the recycle bin.

If you really like the phone you could get it fixed...... might be easier for you than reducing it back to the core elements from which it came. You could also take it apart and identity the memory modules.....de-solder them and just destroy them and keep the rest of the phone for parts. That's what a shop would do, part it out. It would be pretty hard for me to destroy one of my faithful old pristine phones too :p

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Still on my original Pixel 2 XL. Debating grabbing a 4 this Fall or wait until the 5 next year...

I might go for the Pixel 4 this year. I had to exchange my 2xl 4 times. But luckily this unit I have has lasted the longest. There are no issues

markryb

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
original Pixel 2xl.... probably just as fast today as it was new... only issue was slight "blue screen tint" when looked at on a sharp angle

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Had to swap out my wife's Pixel 1 within the first month because it developed a green line on on the screen.

But we still have the replacement. It's her backup phone. She's still using her original Pixel 2 XL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe